Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 605-655 Levelx   Word Problemsx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618721 [130]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6271 [55]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 244 [15]
Given Kudos: 212
WE:Project Management (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Status:On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sit on a throne of blood.
Own Kudos [?]: 655 [3]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Re: In each game of a certain tournament, a contestant either loses 3 poin [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
In each game of a certain tournament, a contestant either loses 3 points or gains 2 points. If Pat had 100 points at the beginning of the tournament, how many games did Pat play in the tournament?

(1) At the end of the tournament, Pat had 104 points
(2) Pat played fewer than 10 games

Both statements by themselves are clearly insufficient.

Taking both the statements together:

We have an addition of 4 points. So we need minimum of 2 games which add 2 points each.

Further any 3 point loss making games have to be cancelled out by the 2 point gain games. We need 3 games gaining 2 points each to cancel out 2 games losing 3 points each. 3+2=5 games. We need these 5 games to cancel out.

So we need 5x+2 games to get 104 points, where x>=0 and x represents the number of times the 3 gain making and the 2 loss making games (that cancel out each other) have to be played.

The only number of games satisfying the above equation which is less than 10 games is 2 (when x=0) and 7 (when x=1).

Since we have no single number of games we end up with E.

Answer: E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38817 [4]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
In each game of a certain tournament, a contestant either loses 3 poin [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
In each game of a certain tournament, a contestant either loses 3 points or gains 2 points. If Pat had 100 points at the beginning of the tournament, how many games did Pat play in the tournament?

(1) No information about loosing or gaining of first 100 games,Insufficient

(2) No information about loosing or gaining any game,Insuffifient

(1)+(2) together didn't solve the issue raised above.

Correct Answer E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Erasmus '18
Send PM
Re: In each game of a certain tournament, a contestant either loses 3 poin [#permalink]
Kudos
My approach without solving any equation:

Statement 1: he ends up with 104 points . That means he might have won 2 times so he got +2 and +2 ,or might have lost 2 time -3 and -3 and then won 5 times (gained +2 each time ). One way or another we are not sure about the number of the games he played.---> INSUFF

Statement 2: If Pat played games<10 he might have played 9 , 8 ,7 ,6,5,4 .... we are not sure --> INSUFF

Combining 1 and 2 we know he had 104 points at the end and less than 10 games, AGAIN he might have played a different number of games each time in order to gather 104 points, he might have lost at the beginning and won the rest or vice versa. --> INSUFF

so answer E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Hi All

Thanks for all your very good answers. It took me a while to answer this question. In the end I got it right but I was unsure if I had the right methodology.
Overall I used the same thinking which consists in using test cases. However I'm wondering whether there is a faster solution which would consist in recognizing a pattern:
Can't we just generalize and say that if we have a combination of 1 equation and 1 inequalities with two unknown, therefore it remains insufficient to solve for the 2 unknown ? Using that pattern for other DS questions would help solving other DS questions tremendously faster...

the OG DS problem #282 (OG 2017) used similar reasoning and ended up with E as OA.

Thanks in advance for your feedback on this one.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29902 [3]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Bunuel wrote:

Target question: How many games did Pat play in the tournament?

Jump straight to...

Statements 1 and 2 combined
There are several CONFLICTING situations that that satisfy BOTH statement 2. Here are two:
Case a: Pat plays 2 games and wins both of them to add 4 points to the 100 points she started with. In this case, Pat plays 2 games
Case b: Pat plays 7 games and wins 5 of them and loses 2 to add 4 points to the 100 points she started with. In this case, Pat plays 7 games
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, the combined statements are NOT

Answer:

Cheers,
Brent
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
YanisBoubenider thefibonacci I still don't get why C is not an option.

if we know that final amount of points is 104, and he played less than 10 games, then the only possible amount of games played is 5. That is, lost 2 (104-6=98) and won 3 (98+6=104). He couldn't lose 3 because it would result in the odd number of loses neither he could lose 4 because he would have to win 6 and that equals 10 which contradicts with the 2nd statement.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [1]
Given Kudos: 95
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 09-28-2012
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
I. 104-100 = 4
Min games = 2. But, 4 can also be obtained by scoring 2+2+2+2+2-3-3 = 4. (Games = 7)
II. Games less than 10. 4 or 7 as in 1.
Both Insufficient. Ans=E
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1321 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
In each game of a certain tournament, a contestant either loses 3 poin [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:

Transform the Q: x + y = ?

1) 4 = -3x + 2y
y = 2 + 3x/2

x = 0, y = 2
x = 2, y = 5

Not sufficient

2) x + y < 10
Not sufficient

1+2)

x = 0, y = 2
x = 2, y = 5

Not sufficient

ANSWER: E
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4927 [0]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Top Contributor
Bunuel wrote:

Final point = 100+2x -3y ( x = wins, y = losses)
Total Games = x + y

(1) 104 = 100+2x -3y
2x -3y = 4
No separate value for x and y. Insufficient.

(2) x + y <10
Several values for x and y fit this information

Considering both options:
x + y <10, and 2x -3y = 4 , if x = 2 , y = 0 Satisfies the condition, if x = 5, y = 2, still satisfies the condition.

We get two different information for total games. Ans. E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Hello

Taking : x = no. of games won; y = no. of games lost

Using 1) I created the equation :
2x-3y = 4
2x = 3y + 4
x = (3y + 4)/2. From here we can infer that (3y+4) has to be even so that x is an integer, which means y has to be even.
Taking cases : y=0, x=2: y=2,x=5: y=3,x=8... and so on

Using 2) x+y<10

Combining both 1 and 2:

We get two cases :
Cases 1: y=0,x=2
Case 2: y=2, x=5

Since we dont get a unique case, both statements together are insufficient.

Please verify if my approach is correct.

Thanks,
Akshit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Really interesting question. Here's my take on this.

Let's work with the question stem first.

Equation can be: 100+2w-3l
To find: w+l.

Statement 1:

100+2w-3l= 104
we can make this: 2w+3l=4
2w=4+3l
Since we know the value has to be integral. We can take values. But we can keep the even and odd rule in mind.

We know 4+3l has to be even to be divisible by 2w.
Since, even + even=even. We can infer that 3l is also even. Making l even.
So let's only see values of l which are even: 0,2,4,6,8,10......till infinity.
For l=0, w=2
For l=2, w= 5
For l=4, w= 8

.... There are multiple values resulting in 104 points. Hence, insufficient.

We can remove A and D.

Statement 2: He played less than 10 games.
This is clearly insufficient.

We can remove B

Combining both statements:

As we saw there are multiple versions for his final score, and on adding this filter of less than 2 games, he still would have 2 versions remaining. Making this insufficient.

For l=0, w=2.......He played 2 games
For l=2, w= 5........He played 7 games.
Both leading to a 104 result.

E is the answer.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13386 [2]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos