Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:48 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 751 [126]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [29]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618789 [28]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [22]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: MBA, Finance, 2009
Schools:UCLA Anderson
Send PM
Re: The ratio of boys to girls in Class A is 3 to 4. The ratio of boys to [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
gurpreetsingh gives a good algebraic explanation. This question is also easy to solve by using multiples of the original ratios.

We can set up the ratios Ba (boys in A) to Ga (girls in a), and Bb (boys in b) to Gb (girls in B).

Ba/Ga = 3/4
Bb/Gb = 4/5

When combined, we'd like our final ratio ratio to be 17/22. If you write out a few multiples of each of the original ratios,

Ba/Ga = 3/4, 6/8, 9/12...
Bb/Gb = 4/5, 8/10, 12/15...

It's easy to see that by picking 9/12 for A and 8/10 for B will give you a combined ratio of 17/22. Thus, we will have 12 girls in group A.

Answer: E
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5228 [1]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Re: The ratio of boys to girls in Class A is 3 to 4. The ratio of boys to [#permalink]
Kudos
Hey Bunuel,
While giving test, I have been able to solve it correctly using back solving. However, when I revisited this question, I was unable to solve it at the first go. Request you to help me out..

Let the multiplier be x for Class A . Therefore, number of boys: 3x and number of girls 4x
Let the multiplier be y for Class B. Therefor, number of boys: 4y and number of girls : 5y
It is given that -
3x= 4y+1 ----(A)
and
4x=5y+2 -----(B)
Also
As per question:-
3x+4y/4x+5y = 17/22 (combined boys: combined girls) ---(C)
Putting the value from A and B in Equation C giving me weird results -
y is coming out to be 6/13 :shock:

I have also gone through the replies posted above and I am not too sure that I would be able to ignore the superfluous statement in the real time exam... so hoping to see the solution utilizing the info.
Thanks
H
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64898 [6]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
imhimanshu wrote:
Hey Bunuel,
While giving test, I have been able to solve it correctly using back solving. However, when I revisited this question, I was unable to solve it at the first go. Request you to help me out..

Let the multiplier be x for Class A . Therefore, number of boys: 3x and number of girls 4x
Let the multiplier be y for Class B. Therefor, number of boys: 4y and number of girls : 5y
It is given that -
3x= 4y+1 ----(A)
and
4x=5y+2 -----(B)
Also

I have also gone through the replies posted above and I am not too sure that I would be able to ignore the superfluous statement in the real time exam... so hoping to see the solution utilizing the info.
Thanks
H

Also, if you do use this equation, 3x+4y/4x+5y = 17/22, when you solve it, you get x = 3y/2.
Put x = 3y/2 is one of the equations above, say 3x= 4y+1.
3*3y/2 = 4y + 1
y = 2 (you probably have a calculation error somewhere)
So x = 3
Number of boys and girls in Class A is 3*3 and 4*3.

Mind you, since you have already got two distinct equations (3x= 4y+1 and 4x=5y+2) with two variables, you can easily solve them to get the values of x and y.
This question lets you make 3 equations but there are only 2 variables so you can use any 2 of those equations to get the value of the variables.

Actually speaking, you should not be making any equations. You have the ratio 3:4 and 4:5
You know that the number of boys is class A is 1 more so try and multiply the ratios to figure out where you get a difference of 1. I should multiply 3:4 by a bigger number since the number of boys is more in class A.

(3:4)*3 = 9:12
(4:5)*2 = 8:10

The numbers are very simple so you can arrive at the answer very quickly.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1111 [3]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Finance
Schools: HEC '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
Kudos
(3x-1)/(4x-2)=4/5

find 4x

sinxe x=3 , 4*3=12 girls in class A
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1938 [2]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Kudos
total # of girls = 22k (22, 44, 66 ..)
if A has 2 more girls then # of girls in (a,b) = (12,10), (21,23) ..
at this point, you know that it can only be 12 because 21 is not an option.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [3]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
changhiskhan wrote:
The ratio of boys to girls in Class A is 3 to 4. The ratio of boys to girls in Class B is 4 to 5. If the two classes were combined, the ratio of boys to girls in the combined class would be 17 to 22. If Class A has one more boy and two more girls than class B, how many girls are in Class A?

A. 8
B. 9
C. 10
D. 11
E. 12

The information the ratio of boys to girls in the combined class would be 17 to 22 is superfluous.
Too much info just to try to confuse you. If one counts the unknowns, we have 4: number of boys in class A, girls in A, boys in B and girls in B.
Without the info of the combined rate, we already have in fact four equations:
1) the ratio in class A
2) the ratio in class B
3) one more boy in class A in comparison with class B
4) two more girls in class A in comparison with class B
So, we don't need a fifth equation.

If we denote by B and G the number of boys and girls respectively in class A, we can write the following set of equations:
\(B/G=3/4\)
\((B-1)/(G-2)=4/5\)
Two equations, two unknowns, solve and get G=12.

Or, go with divisibility criteria, G must be a multiple of 4, so choose between A and E.
For A, B=6, G=8 but B-1=5, G-2=6, so \(5/6\neq4/5\).
For E, B=9, G=12 and B-1=8, G-2=10, so 8/10=4/5, OK. Also the additional condition holds, as (9+8)/(12+10)=17/22.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1821 [2]
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Too many given...

Combination of class equations:
\(3a + 4b = 17\)
\(4a + 5b = 22\)

Another given - Differences of class equations
\(3a = 4b + 1\)
\(4a = 5b + 2\)

Combine \(3a + 4b = 17\) and \(3a = 4b + 1\)

\(17-3a = 3a - 1\)
\(18 = 6a\)
\(a = 3\)

Answer: 4*3 = 12 (E)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 413 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT Date: 03-04-2014
GPA: 3.77
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Assuming I was short of time on the real test, is it safe to eliminate choices B,C and D on the spot? since 9,10,11 are not divisible by 4?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64898 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Abdul29 wrote:
Assuming I was short of time on the real test, is it safe to eliminate choices B,C and D on the spot? since 9,10,11 are not divisible by 4?

Yes, the ratio is given in its lowest terms 3:4.
So number of boys must be 3a and number of girls must be 4a where a is an integer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [0]
Given Kudos: 196
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:
Hey Bunuel,

It is given that -
3x= 4y+1 ----(A)
and
4x=5y+2 -----(B)
Also

Thanks
H

This problem is a rare example of a question which provides redundant information: we CAN solve the question without knowing that the ratio of boys to girls in the combined class is 17 to 22.

The ratio of boys to girls in Class A is 3 to 4. The ratio of boys to girls in Class B is 4 to 5. If the two classes were combined, the ratio of boys to girls in the combined class would be 17 to 22. If Class A has one more boy and two more girls than class B, how many girls are in Class A?
A. 8
B. 9
C. 10
D. 11
E. 12

The ration of boys to girls in Class A is 3 to 4: # of boys is 3x and # of girls is 4x, for some positive integer multiple x;
The ration of boys to girls in Class B is 4 to 5: # of boys is 4y and # of girls is 5y, for some positive integer multiple y;

Class A has one more boy and two more girls than class B: 3x=4y+1 and 4x=5y+2. Now, we have the system of two distinct linear equations with two unknowns, which means that we can solve it. Solving for x we get x=3. Since # of girls in Class A is 4x the there are 4*3=12 girls.

Answer: E.

So, as you can see you've done everything right, you just should have solved the system of equations rather than applying some kind of substitution.

Hope it helps.

Hi Bunnel,

Can you please point me to the similar ratio problems ? pls

-AJ
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618789 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Expert Reply
ajaym28 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:
Hey Bunuel,

It is given that -
3x= 4y+1 ----(A)
and
4x=5y+2 -----(B)
Also

Thanks
H

This problem is a rare example of a question which provides redundant information: we CAN solve the question without knowing that the ratio of boys to girls in the combined class is 17 to 22.

A. 8
B. 9
C. 10
D. 11
E. 12

The ration of boys to girls in Class A is 3 to 4: # of boys is 3x and # of girls is 4x, for some positive integer multiple x;
The ration of boys to girls in Class B is 4 to 5: # of boys is 4y and # of girls is 5y, for some positive integer multiple y;

Class A has one more boy and two more girls than class B: 3x=4y+1 and 4x=5y+2. Now, we have the system of two distinct linear equations with two unknowns, which means that we can solve it. Solving for x we get x=3. Since # of girls in Class A is 4x the there are 4*3=12 girls.

So, as you can see you've done everything right, you just should have solved the system of equations rather than applying some kind of substitution.

Hope it helps.

Hi Bunnel,

Can you please point me to the similar ratio problems ? pls

-AJ

Check our Question Banks for all questions classified by category and difficulty.

DS Fractions/Ratios/Decimals questions: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=36
PS Fractions/Ratios/Decimals questions: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=57

For similar questions check Similar topics block below.

Hope it helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1751 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:
Hey Bunuel,

It is given that -
3x= 4y+1 ----(A)
and
4x=5y+2 -----(B)
Also

Thanks
H

A. 8
B. 9
C. 10
D. 11
E. 12

Hope it helps.

The 17/22 ratio is given just for distraction and honestly speaking i fell prey of it . 17 is a prime number so i thought there is some short route and i can solve without using pen and paper but as i did nt have luxury of time , after wasting 20secs i gave up on it and move ahead with simultaneous eq to arrive at answer E.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64898 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Lucky2783 wrote:

The 17/22 ratio is given just for distraction and honestly speaking i fell prey of it . 17 is a prime number so i thought there is some short route and i can solve without using pen and paper but as i did nt have luxury of time , after wasting 20secs i gave up on it and move ahead with simultaneous eq to arrive at answer E.

Actually, you are not wrong. As I mentioned in my post on the previous page, you shouldn't need to make any equations. The only thing is that what will help you arrive at the answer is this "there is one more boy in class A than in class B..."

Here is how you can solve it:

You have the ratios 3:4 and 4:5.
You know that the number of boys in class A is 1 more so try and multiply the ratios to figure out where you get a difference of 1. I should multiply 3:4 by a bigger number since the number of boys is more in class A.

In this case, the ratio of the total will be 9+8:12+10 = 17:22

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 321 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Actually speaking, you should not be making any equations. You have the ratio 3:4 and 4:5
You know that the number of boys is class A is 1 more so try and multiply the ratios to figure out where you get a difference of 1. I should multiply 3:4 by a bigger number since the number of boys is more in class A.

A. 8
B. 9
C. 10
D. 11
E. 12

Hi VeritasPrepKarishma,

If the question did not give the condition of number of Boys 1 more in A & 2 less number of girls in B, and just mentioned an absolute number for boys in Class A lets say 9 (as we figured above). Can we still find out the number of girls in Class B??

I am stuck to solve this using above reasoning.

Thanks in advance.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [1]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
aditi2013 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:

A. 8
B. 9
C. 10
D. 11
E. 12

Hi VeritasPrepKarishma,

If the question did not give the condition of number of Boys 1 more in A & 2 less number of girls in B, and just mentioned an absolute number for boys in Class A lets say 9 (as we figured above). Can we still find out the number of girls in Class B??

I am stuck to solve this using above reasoning.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not Karishma, but I thought this was an interesting question!

The short answer is: it would make the question a little less simple, but you could still answer it. Interestingly, changing the problem like this means that it now requires all of the given information to solve. That makes it a bit more GMAT-like!

If there are 9 boys in Class A, there are 12 girls. There are also 4x boys in Class B, and 5x girls. (You don't know the value of x, but it could be any integer. For instance, there could be 40 boys and 50 girls with x=10, or 16 boys and 20 girls with x=4.)

When you combine the classes together, there are 9 + 4x boys in total, and 12 + 5x girls.

You also know that the ratio, after combining the classes, is 17 to 22.

So, you've got a two-sided equation. The ratio of boys to girls is (9 + 4x) / (12 + 5x). It's also 17/22. One option is to put an equals sign between them, and solve:

(9+4x)/(12+5x) = 17/22
22(9) + 22(4x) = 17(12) + 17(5x)
88x - 85x = 204 - 198
3x = 6
x = 2

8 boys, 10 girls.

The smarter thing to do, would be to check some small values for x, and see whether they give you a 17 to 22 ratio. x = 2 is pretty simple to check, and it works out perfectly: 9 + 4(2) = 17, and 12 + 5(2) = 22.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64898 [1]
Send PM