Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 718 [1]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 3.88
WE:Business Development (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 2.75
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 718 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 3.88
WE:Business Development (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 31
Re: HELP! HUGE gap between practices and actual GMAT [#permalink]
Kudos
I had a similar problem at the beginning. For my first two GMAT attempts, I was getting 710, 720 from my GMATPrep mock exams. On the actual days, I came away with only 640, 660. The things affecting my performance were:

1) Anxiety (you may not feel very anxious but it could still be hurting your performance); and
2) Timing.

Anxiety:

At first, I tried to rush through the GMAT-taking process, trying to make certain MBA application deadlines. This was a mistake, as I wasted two GMAT attempts doing this. The fact that you're trying to get over the GMAT process quickly and move on, is probably giving you a certain level of stress, though you may be unaware of it. My approach, though it may not be the right one for you, was to completely put aside all GMAT and MBA matters for 6-8 months and get back to my normal life. I wanted to reduce the importance that the GMAT had to me, then return with a chilled attitude and clear mind.

I also noticed that because I tried to prepare special healthy snacks, avoid caffeine, do things that I wouldn't normally do (or avoid doing things that I normally did), to try and be on my best form for D-Day, I inadvertently created more stress for myself. This was because everything I did was geared towards the exam day and it tricked my mind into a do-or-die mode. So, for my third and final attempt, I didn't do anything special. No vitamins, no energy bar, nothing I wouldn't normally do or not do. I basically didn't sweat the small stuff. I also told myself that I was more than adequately prepared, I'd most probably do well but otherwise, could always do the GMAT again - it wasn't a big deal. And I also stopped being such a perfectionist (in line with not sweating the small stuff, above) - I told myself not to bother too much about the AWA or IR sections and save my brain for the meaty part of the exam.

Timing:

This is the other big killer. To fix my problem for good, I practised GMATPrep mock exams. Again. And again. And again. I purchased the additional exam pack too, so I had something like 6 exam papers to do, on a loop. Don't bother with Kaplan, MGMAT or any other mocks (I found Kaplan 800's questions a doss and I can assure you that I'm not Missy Brain, so I threw the book out), because they're not even remotely the same as the actual test that you'd be taking. Stick to GMATPrep. The better you get, the more difficult questions the same few GMATPrep exams are going to throw at you. Do these mocks daily, to get the hang of timing and to get your mind used to the whole process. Don't forget to keep doing what you're already doing, in terms of general revision. I wrote out over a hundred flashcards with questions from the Official GMAT Guide that I got wrong and tested myself whenever I had a spare moment. Also, because I kept forgetting mathematical formulas and rules, I wrote out a 3-page "cheat sheet" and went over it daily.

Leading up to my third attempt, I was getting 750, 760 consistently from my GMATPrep practice exams. On the actual day, since I don't snack or drinks sugary stuff, I went in with just a banana and a bottle of water. I came away with 740, which was still 10-20 points lower than what I'd been getting in practice exams but I knew my real score would always drop a little, from actual-day stress. Ultimately, I think the above approach helped to close the gap between practice and test day results, and I hope it helps you too.

***Edit: To avoid any trace of ambiguity, I meant that, in my experience, no other CATs save GMATPrep's comes close to simulating the GMAT. Otherwise, Manhattan GMAT does run a very solid course for both verbal and quant and this was what helped me to establish my basics. I chose MGMAT for this purpose (establish my foundations), because of others' reviews online and can wholeheartedly recommend them for a comprehensive approach to tackling GMAT topics.

Originally posted by LL01 on 18 Jul 2016, 11:30.
Last edited by LL01 on 21 Jul 2016, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks for sharing.

Aside from practicing on full-length tests to get the rhythm and timing, make sure to simulate actual conditions of exam day. Taking the practices at the same time of the days as the exams should help.

Also, continue with your normal activities such as exercise, relaxation, and rest. These would help reduce the anxiety you (and almost everyone) would have taking the GMAT.

Wish you all the best and look forward to your updates.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived INSEAD Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our INSEAD Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated INSEAD Forum for all fresh things related to the INSEAD MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts