Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 783 [71]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1430 [6]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Leadership, Organizational Behavior
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 593 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [4]
Send PM
To counter the escalating violence of inner cities, I propose that we [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
u2lover wrote:
To counter the escalating violence of inner cities, I propose that we pass new legislation banning the sell of handguns to anyone with criminal record. Such a law would require gun retailers to perform background checks on potential customers thereby lengthening the time needed to purchase a firearm while also keeping guns out of the hands of known ex-criminals. This proposal will result in fewer violent crimes and produce safer inner-city communities.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the conclusion above?

(B) ex-criminals who commit violent crimes generally do so with a firearm

(C) a rise in violent crime and violence can be the result of the availability of firearms to ex-criminals

Please explain

I would say C.... B says that "ex-criminals who commit violent crimes generally do so with a firearm".... so what if they have the firearms or procure them illegally...

C states a reason that rise is directly related to "availability of firearms to ex-criminals" ... So curbing this will reduce the crime...

Also the argument starts with To counter the escalating violence of inner cities so even if the crime rate is kept constant, that would be fine... C will help to curb it officially
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: To counter the escalating violence of inner cities, I propose that we [#permalink]
Bookmarks
People are more confused with options B and C.

The argument starts with the line, "to counter the escalating violence" and propose banning the sell of handguns to anyone with criminal record. Why should someone propose banning specifically to ex-crimers? Because they feel or have statistics which states that the ex-crimers were responsible for the violence. Otherwise they would have proposed a BGC for everyone who wants to have a handgun.

Hence C is the clear winner.

(C) a rise in violent crime and violence can be the result of the availability of firearms to ex-criminals
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 199 [0]
Given Kudos: 176
GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
Re: To counter the escalating violence of inner cities, I propose that we [#permalink]
sayantanc2k Can you pls help with a clear explanation about the confusion between B and C? :(
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [6]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
hdwnkr wrote:
sayantanc2k Can you pls help with a clear explanation about the confusion between B and C? :(

If ex-criminals "generally" commit crime using guns, then it is also implied that they already possess guns and do not require approval to buy new guns (they are ex-criminals, implying they have already committed crimes using guns). Hence the new rules will not have any effect as far as ex-criminals are concerned. Hence B is not the correct answer.

Option C implies that those ex-criminals need guns to be available to them (implying they may not be possessing the guns they used for their previous crimes). Thus restricting availability would decrease the number of crimes. Hence C is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
u2lover wrote:
To counter the escalating violence of inner cities, I propose that we pass new legislation banning the sell of handguns to anyone with criminal record. Such a law would require gun retailers to perform background checks on potential customers thereby lengthening the time needed to purchase a firearm while also keeping guns out of the hands of known ex-criminals. This proposal will result in fewer violent crimes and produce safer inner-city communities.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the conclusion above?

(A) the goal of gun control legislation is to reduce the number of easily accessible firearms

(D) most ex-criminals who purchase guns do so illegally

(E) any legislation restricting gun sells to ex-criminals would result in a reduction of the number of firearms available in most inner cities

Please explain

VeritasPrepKarishma

I think both C and D strengthens the argument.
I m not being able to completely agree with any of the explanations in this thread.
Need expert opinion
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
nishant12600 wrote:

(D) most ex-criminals who purchase guns do so illegally

Please explain

VeritasPrepKarishma

I think both C and D strengthens the argument.
I m not being able to completely agree with any of the explanations in this thread.
Need expert opinion

IMHO the only contenders for this question are (C) and (E)

You can negate (D) , because to strengthen the conclusion we need to show that the proposed act of " passing new legislation banning the sell of handguns " will have the desired effect of " fewer violent crimes and safer inner-city communities."

(D) States that the ban will be ineffective since ex criminals will purchase guns illegally and thus incidents of violent crimes and safer inner-city communities will not be possible.

Whereas (C) states that the desired effect of fewer violent crimes and safer inner-city communities can be achieved by passing the new law, banning the sale of gunds and firearms..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE:Other (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
C is the correct answer.

Conclusion - The proposal will result in fewer violent crimes and produce safer inner-city communities
Premise - The proposal would require gun retailers to perform background checks on potential customers thereby lengthening the time needed to purchase a firearm while also keeping guns out of the hands of known ex-criminals

So, the argument says that, fewer violent crimes would happen if background checks are performed.
Possible assumptions could be:

1) The ex-criminals do not already possess guns
2) Violent crimes can't be committed other than handguns
3) There are no other sources other than "the retailers", which can help the ex-criminals get access to guns or make it easily available

Now, amongst the given choices:
A is out of scope
In B, one can infer that, say, out of 100 times, a violent crime is done 80 times using handguns. But, 'handguns' is NOT the only choice ex-criminals have. They can pick, say, daggers etc for committing a crime
In D, author has not said anything or defined the term 'illegally'. Option is out of scope
E talks about number of firearms whereas, conclusion talks about number of violent crimes,which can be committed with less handguns too
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
VeritasKarishma can you please explain why not B. I'm still confused between B and C
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9243 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Imagine if B were false. Then the law would be pointless -- if criminals don't use guns anyway, it won't matter if they're prevented from buying guns. So knowing that B is true clearly strengthens the argument, and B is a good answer here. The arguments above that rule out B (those that suggest criminals might already own guns, for example) are introducing assumptions we have no basis to make, and besides, we don't need an airtight strengthener, only something that gives us more reason to believe the law will achieve its purpose (which is precisely what the company instructor reply says when justifying C, but does not apply to answer B, where the principle is just as relevant). I have reservations about the word "can" in answer C, but answer C seems like a pretty good answer otherwise, so this doesn't seem like a good question to me.

There is also no such thing as an "ex-criminal". A criminal is someone who has committed a crime. I think they mean to say "ex-convict".
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts