Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:29 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [21]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [25]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3224 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Men's interest in developing a cure for cancer have promoted [#permalink]
I also narrowed to D and E but ended up picking (E).......:(

I will look forward for comments for why (E) is incorrect.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Can some one give a OE for this question. Why Mens Intrest is correct. Also is the usage of Mans Intrest Correct ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1305 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 3.82
WE:Account Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Excellent explanation by Mr.Farber.
Kudos +1 for you !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT Date: 11-02-2012
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
I don't think this is a valid problem. There is no clear reason why E is wrong. However, there is a fairly good reason to eliminate B. Let's look at the difference between "Men's" and "Man's":

"Men's" is the possessive of "men," so it means "belonging to men." For instance, we might say "There was a sale on men's pants," or "He went to the men's room," or "Men's failure to understand women is always amusing."

"Man's" is the possessive of "man." In some settings, this would mean "belonging to the man," as in "Charles stole the man's wallet." However, since there is no particular man in this sentence, and since the word "man's" is not preceded by "the," we are using "man" to mean "mankind" or "humanity." For instance, we might say "Man's exploration of space is just beginning," or "Man's cruelty is often outweighed by his charity." Noe that in these examples, we are *not* just talking about males, but about all humans. Some people find this usage somewhat outdated and sexist, but it is still quite common.

In this case, there is no reason to assume that only males are interested in a cure for cancer. "Man's interest" seems to make more sense--people in general are interested in a cure. If the sentence said something like "Men's interest in a cure for prostate cancer . . . " or something else particular to men, that answer might make sense, but I doubt a real GMAT problem would ever hinge on such a detail.

I hope that helps!

Hi, thanks for the explanation. But in case of D, do u think removing the word Man/Men is fine.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Kudos
anaik100 wrote:
Men's interest in developing a cure for cancer have promoted the rapid advances in the field now known as Genetic Engineering
(A) Men's interest in developing a cure for cancer have promoted
(B) Men's interest in developing a cure for cancer has promoted
(C) That men are interested in developing ac ure for cancer have promoted
(D) Interest in developing a cure for cancer has promoted
(E) Man's interest in developing a cure for cancer has promoted

Question
1. what the diff between Men's and Man's
2. why D is correct?

I will start by saying that "Practice makes man perfect". This doesn't mean practice makes only male gender perfect. It refers to humans in general.

Coming to question - between (D) and (E) I chose (E) because (D) doesn't specify whose interest. Is it the interest of the animals or my pets or neanderthals !!!

Is this really a GMAT kind question?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
No, I don't think this is a GMAT-like question.

As for D, it's perfectly all right not to specify whose interest we're dealing with. It's important not to think of A as the "original," because then we start thinking we can't change the meaning presented in A. This is an absolutely false assumption. As long as the answer choice presents a clear and sensible meaning, it's fine.

Note that even if we said "man's interest," it wouldn't be much more specific. Clearly, humans are going to be the only ones expressing interest in a cure for cancer. Attributing the interest to all of "man" is not at all helpful, and there's certainly no rule that any time we mention something such as "interest," we have to explain where that interest comes from. We can say something like "In response to overwhelming demand, the company produced a larger phone."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [0]
Given Kudos: 125
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
The question should be edited to properly underline the part that needs to be reviewed. Typo's should be fixed too.
Current Student
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23
GMAT 2: 530 Q39 V24
GMAT 3: 580 Q46 V24 (Online)
GMAT 4: 640 Q50 V26
WE:Other (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Experts sayantanc2kmikemcgarry please guide for this question
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Given Kudos: 338
GMAT 1: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 2: 570 Q43 V27
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Shouldn't the answer choice be close to the intended meaning? IMO E is just fine. Infact D is very generalised and diverts from the intended meaning of the sentence.
Current Student
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23
GMAT 2: 530 Q39 V24
GMAT 3: 580 Q46 V24 (Online)
GMAT 4: 640 Q50 V26
WE:Other (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
urvashis09 agree with you....I am not able to deduce why Option E is incorrect
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Expert Reply
vasuca10 wrote:
Experts sayantanc2kmikemcgarry please guide for this question

Dear vasuca10,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, I am in total agreement with the brilliant DmitryFarber: this question is not GMAT-like at all and delving into it will not be a useful exercise if your goal is to prepare for the GMAT. The best thing to do is to ignore such a question.

Now, my friend, I also and going to point out that what you asked, "please guide for this question," is a very poor quality question. Think about it. You probably invested exceptionally little effort into that question. If you put in little effort, you are not going to get much out. Rapidly firing out a number of poorly thought-out questions to experts does not make you look good nor is it an exercise that is likely to bring you much benefit. It makes you appear like someone who wants to be seen making the outward actions of a student without actually being interested in genuine learning. You see, this is your education. Students sometimes think that education is something that teachers & experts "do" to students, and students are more or less passive recipients; unfortunately, some features of school systems tend to reinforce this unfortunate misunderstanding. In fact, education is something you do to yourself, for yourself, and by yourself. Experts such as myself can provide information, but again, many students fail to appreciate that getting all the correct information is not enough--you have to learn and assimilate it all, so that you own it. I would guess that more that 80% of people who take the GMAT have access to enough information that one could get a 700+ score from this information, but of course, only 10% of GMAT takers actually score in the 700+ range. There is a BIG difference between simply seeing the information and actually learning it.

When you write a poor quality question, you have done absolutely nothing to prepare yourself for the hard work of learning. You prepare yourself much more effectively if you ask an excellent question. An excellent question is exquisitely detailed: it tells how you thought about the question, what you understand, what confuses you, what you thought was right, etc. It tells the whole story of your intellectual encounter with the question. An excellent question also takes into account all available information. For example, in this thread, there was a world renowned GMAT expert, Mr. Dmitry Farber, explaining why this wasn't a good GMAT question. Right there, that's an excellent reason to leave this thread at once. High quality verbal practice questions will prepare you for the GMAT; low quality verbal practice questions are simply a waste of time--they eat up your time and mental energy without rewarding you with any meaningful understanding. It is your responsibility as a student to take all this information thoughtfully into account.

Asking a question that shows you haven't read or studied everything carefully will be a dangerous move in your professional life. If you do this once or twice to a boss, you essentially are telling your boss that you can't be regarded as a responsible individual, and your boss will remember that when the time for promotions roles around. Diligent responsibility is a quality that always has its reward.

Here's my challenge to you. First, read this blog carefully:
Asking Excellent Questions
On future questions, read the question itself and study the thread, especially the posting of experts. It may be that you will come to understand the questions through what experts have already written. If you still have a question, put yourself through the exercise of asking the highest quality question possible: explain what you initially thought, what questions were answered by what you read, and what questions you still have. if you write a high quality thoughtful question, I will be happy to answer it.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
anaik100 wrote:
Men's interest in developing a cure for cancer have promoted the rapid advances in the field now known as Genetic Engineering

To add to what Dmitry says above, I'd be shocked to see a real GMAT question use "man" as a substitute for "humanity", even in a wrong answer choice, unless the question was 30+ years old. The GMAT would certainly never test the distinction between "man" (in the dated "humanity" sense) and "men", so this is not a question worth studying.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
I don't think this is a valid problem. There is no clear reason why E is wrong. However, there is a fairly good reason to eliminate B. Let's look at the difference between "Men's" and "Man's":

"Men's" is the possessive of "men," so it means "belonging to men." For instance, we might say "There was a sale on men's pants," or "He went to the men's room," or "Men's failure to understand women is always amusing."

"Man's" is the possessive of "man." In some settings, this would mean "belonging to the man," as in "Charles stole the man's wallet." However, since there is no particular man in this sentence, and since the word "man's" is not preceded by "the," we are using "man" to mean "mankind" or "humanity." For instance, we might say "Man's exploration of space is just beginning," or "Man's cruelty is often outweighed by his charity." Noe that in these examples, we are *not* just talking about males, but about all humans. Some people find this usage somewhat outdated and sexist, but it is still quite common.

In this case, there is no reason to assume that only males are interested in a cure for cancer. "Man's interest" seems to make more sense--people in general are interested in a cure. If the sentence said something like "Men's interest in a cure for prostate cancer . . . " or something else particular to men, that answer might make sense, but I doubt a real GMAT problem would ever hinge on such a detail.

I hope that helps!

Yes there is no valid reason for removing "Man's" as i think removing the word man would change meaning to more generic sentence

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts