Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:05 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V48
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [3]
Given Kudos: 140
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.16
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Owen Vanderbilt MBA Applicants:(2017 Intake) Class of 2019 [#permalink]
Ramrod2615 wrote:
would you have any advice on the essays highlighting the fit for veterans like myself?

As far as good essays go, I think you should tell stories. It makes you memorable. It makes your application stand out. I don't think you should write long paragraphs about aspirations or what you think. You should write about some exceptional things you've done. By exceptional, I don't mean you need a Nobel Peace Prize either, being exceptional can mean (1) leading a group, (2) starting a business, (3) failing gloriously at some point--and describing what you learned from the experience, (4) making a tough decision, (5) showing good character in trying times, etc.

You can get some ideas from articles like this one:
https://www.businessinsider.com/5-former ... ays-2016-4

I also think you should keep these things in mind as you focus on in your essays and interviews:
-Know *why you need/want an MBA*
-Know *why you want an MBA NOW*
-Know *why Vanderbilt is the right program for you*
-Research the program and speak to what concentrations/emphases/specializations/clubs interest you
-Know what firms recruit Vanderbilt students if there are some you are specifically interested in
-Demonstrate you have realistic short-term and long-term career plans
-Be able to sell yourself in 1-2 minutes (the so called "elevator pitch")

On the Owen website there is a lot of great information. Vanderbilt publishes one of the most comprehensive career reports of any MBA program. The course catalog is available online as well. Make good use of this info when weighing your decision to attend, preparing for interviews, and writing your essays. You can cite particular attributes, clubs, classes, or concentrations you have an interest in or think will propel your career along.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [1]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Owen Vanderbilt MBA Applicants:(2017 Intake) Class of 2019 [#permalink]
Kudos
P&Q picked up the story.

$ :) $

https://poetsandquants.com/2016/10/21/va ... -pay-haul/

Anchor Down!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Another awesome trend.

https://www.economist.com/whichmba/full- ... epth=77633

Vandy up to #17 in the US and #26 world wide.

Add that to US news up to #22 and #18 for Poets and Quants Owen is on a tear.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
teleste wrote:
Ramrod2615 wrote:
would you have any advice on the essays highlighting the fit for veterans like myself?

As far as good essays go, I think you should tell stories. It makes you memorable. It makes your application stand out. I don't think you should write long paragraphs about aspirations or what you think. You should write about some exceptional things you've done. By exceptional, I don't mean you need a Nobel Peace Prize either, being exceptional can mean (1) leading a group, (2) starting a business, (3) failing gloriously at some point--and describing what you learned from the experience, (4) making a tough decision, (5) showing good character in trying times, etc.

You can get some ideas from articles like this one:
https://www.businessinsider.com/5-former ... ays-2016-4

I also think you should keep these things in mind as you focus on in your essays and interviews:
-Know *why you need/want an MBA*
-Know *why you want an MBA NOW*
-Know *why Vanderbilt is the right program for you*
-Research the program and speak to what concentrations/emphases/specializations/clubs interest you
-Know what firms recruit Vanderbilt students if there are some you are specifically interested in
-Demonstrate you have realistic short-term and long-term career plans
-Be able to sell yourself in 1-2 minutes (the so called "elevator pitch")

On the Owen website there is a lot of great information. Vanderbilt publishes one of the most comprehensive career reports of any MBA program. The course catalog is available online as well. Make good use of this info when weighing your decision to attend, preparing for interviews, and writing your essays. You can cite particular attributes, clubs, classes, or concentrations you have an interest in or think will propel your career along.

Thanks for the response. I'm refining my two optional essays right now, the first explaining my low GPA/GMAT, how I'm currently addressing those weaknesses and what attributes I plan to leverage to make up for those shortfalls. For the second one (the 500 word limit is really killing me) I'm trying to highlight how Owen is a good fit based on my desire to stay in the south and secure a position in supply chain/operations management which falls in line with my current profession.

The word limit is making it super tough to capture all of these aspects of me that I'm really trying to convey and help offset the weak test score and GPA.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Do you guys know when interview invitations/rejection decisions are sent out?
I submitted in 24/10.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [1]
Given Kudos: 92
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V48
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
Bncong wrote:
Do you guys know when interview invitations/rejection decisions are sent out?
I submitted in 24/10.

Last year I received mine via email on October 30th, which was a Friday. I think the application had been due on the 26th or 27th.

I received my interview invite relatively early though. I believe the interview invite emails spanned about about 1 week after that, with some people not receiving the invite until November 6th or so. I'm not sure if it will look the same this year or not.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Floridian. That means I should expect the mail in the next week or so. For class of 2019 applicants, please let us know when you receive the interview invite.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q40 V41
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
Kudos
Received an interview invite via email today.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Congrats :) I'm still waiting.
When will your interview take place?

MBAsailor wrote:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
MBAsailor wrote:

Received mine today as well. Congratulations! Are you shooting for an in-person interview? I'm trying everything I can to plan a visit with an interview but my schedule right now is just not allowing it so might have to settle for a Skype interview.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q40 V41
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
Ramrod2615 wrote:
MBAsailor wrote:

Received mine today as well. Congratulations! Are you shooting for an in-person interview? I'm trying everything I can to plan a visit with an interview but my schedule right now is just not allowing it so might have to settle for a Skype interview.

Thank you Ramrod and Bncong. I'm in the same position as well. I may be able to scrape in just before the interview cut off but may have to settle for Skype.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBAsailor wrote:
Thank you Ramrod and Bncong. I'm in the same position as well. I may be able to scrape in just before the interview cut off but may have to settle for Skype.

Shoot the admissions office an email with a couple opportunities you have that would work for you, if any. I've got one 3-day pass this month that I can head there but it was listed as "not scheduled" on the campus visit reservation page. I shot Owen a quick email and asked if there was any way I could do it then even without it being a scheduled interview date and they replied back this afternoon with two different time slots. They seem like they're extremely willing to work with people with extenuating circumstances.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
GPA: 3.38
Send PM
Kudos
Good luck everyone! let us know how it goes. I'm giving the GMAT another shot and then applying in round 2.
Intern
Intern
Status:You will get what you deserve; Patience is the key.
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Supply Chain Management (Other)
Send PM
Any international applicants received invites yet?
My manager has not yet submitted his reco....hope i am not too late :(
Manager
Manager
Send PM
hkt22 wrote:
Any international applicants received invites yet?
My manager has not yet submitted his reco....hope i am not too late :(

I'm not international but I had a member of the ADCOM reach out this morning to remind me I was still missing a recommendation. I've been stressing getting this in but she said as long as it's in by the time I interview on the 21st of this month I'll be good. You've submitted your application already correct?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Received mine via email a moment ago. It said that I have 1 week to schedule my appointment, which should be at least 1 week in advance of the decision deadline
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Bncong wrote:
Received mine via email a moment ago. It said that I have 1 week to schedule my appointment, which should be at least 1 week in advance of the decision deadline

Did you schedule your interview yet?

I'm interviewing with Christie St. John, Director of Admissions. Do any current students have any experience interviewing or just interacting with her? She seems VERY experienced which is a little intimidating lol.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts