Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:42 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GRE 1: Q169 V162
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
GRE 1: Q165 V165
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Operations, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Yale SOM Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]
Kudos
admitkid07 wrote:
Just finished my on campus interview today as well. Had a great visit. My only qualm was that my interviewer had experience just totally unrelated to what I do and want to do. I think they just randomly assign on campus interviewees with students. Oh well, I honestly don't think they put much weight on the interviews, as long as you are not unprofessional. The rest of the visit was great!

I had a great off campus interview today as well with a member of the adcom. She said the questions were pretty standard across all interviewers.

All of my questions, with the exception of the discussion of my quote and the specific behavioral questions were asked in prior years. I prepared by looking up questions people were asked last year on clearadmit and made sure I read the blog posts from the Yale Dean of Admissions from 2016 and 2015. I though that the blind interview made the 30 minutes go by very quickly since my story was new to her. Pretty Simple!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Given that interviews in India have already been conducted, can we assume that no more invites coming out for Indian candidates?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
admitkid07 wrote:
Just finished my on campus interview today as well. Had a great visit. My only qualm was that my interviewer had experience just totally unrelated to what I do and want to do. I think they just randomly assign on campus interviewees with students. Oh well, I honestly don't think they put much weight on the interviews, as long as you are not unprofessional. The rest of the visit was great!

Sounds great! Thank you for sharing. Was wondering, did you guys talk about the quote you shared before the interview?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Schools: Yale '19 (A)
Send PM
admitkid07 wrote:

I'm sorry, but I don't think any shared professional experience is required to conduct an effective MBA admissions interview. In fact it would be better for the interviewer to have very little in common with you, because it forces you to communicate clearly and effectively.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Kudos
alphanumericman wrote:
admitkid07 wrote:

I'm sorry, but I don't think any shared professional experience is required to conduct an effective MBA admissions interview. In fact it would be better for the interviewer to have very little in common with you, because it forces you to communicate clearly and effectively.

I agree that it's better to have little in common. A lot of my friends had interviewers with similar backgrounds who asked tough industry-related questions.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Send PM
alphanumericman wrote:
admitkid07 wrote:

100% agree with this- sometimes, though, when the interests are too disparate it can make the conversation tougher. Commonality can be a great ice breaker and ease the stress of the interview. Good luck everyone!

Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Just quickly chiming in as the leader of the 'still waiting' bandwagon.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V44
Send PM
yahsa wrote:
admitkid07 wrote:

Sounds great! Thank you for sharing. Was wondering, did you guys talk about the quote you shared before the interview?

I was asked to, yes.

Sent from my Mi 4i using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Can someone evaluate my chances to be interviewed at yale?[Silver Scholar Program]

Hello, everyone. I appreciate you taking out the time to read this. I am really new to the application process and yale & HBS[[2+2] are the only available options i am considering.

I am applying to Master's in Finance majorly but trying my hand at yale mba...because I ultimately want to pursue it. Here's my profile that I'll be going in with for R2. Pls let me know if it's a waste of time applying or there is a slight possibility of me being interviewed.

------------------Profile----------------------------------
I am an international student in my final year majoring in Computer science. Studying in a well-reputed university in my country.

GPA : 8.76/10 GRE : 327 Toefl : 116

2 finance related internships at Reliance Capital- 6months(Largest MF in the country ~45b$ AUM) & IDFC AMC - 2months(~10b$ AUM)

Finance Market professional certificate from the National Stock Exchange

Finance, Accounting Corp Finance courses on coursera

Extra Curricular :
1) Created an application that was adopted by the civic body(largest in Asia) received media coverage in top newspapers and tv interviews for the same.

2)run a youtube channel to teach mathematical and computer science concepts(~500k views)

3) Represented University as head delegate for Harvard World MUN ( Belgium)

4)Vice chair person of a student organisation. Raised INR150k+ money for the organisation through sponsorship. During my tenure organisation won the best student chapter award.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 8
GRE 1: Q165 V165
Send PM
alphanumericman wrote:
admitkid07 wrote:

I'm going to totally disagree with you. Like others have said, when your experiences are so disparate, it's hard to ask meaningful questions and get a real sense of the applicants work experience. What might be a huge accomplishment in your industry may seem minor to them. Of course, it is your job to communicate and describe what you do as clearly as possible. But that can be very difficult when they already have a set number of questions they need to ask you in 30 minutes.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
admitkid07 wrote:
alphanumericman wrote:
admitkid07 wrote:

I'm going to totally disagree with you. Like others have said, when your experiences are so disparate, it's hard to ask meaningful questions and get a real sense of the applicants work experience. What might be a huge accomplishment in your industry may seem minor to them. Of course, it is your job to communicate and describe what you do as clearly as possible. But that can be very difficult when they already have a set number of questions they need to ask you in 30 minutes.

Personally, I'd much prefer being interviewed by someone who's not too familiar with my background. This definitely makes explaining your accomplishments more challenging, but allows you to focus more on the behavioural aspects of your successes and failures without getting carried away and spending too much time elaborating on the technical details.

I think the Admissions Committee (particularly at Yale) is looking to better understand your motivations and the rationale behind your decision making more than simply your accolades. And I don't think industry or background really factors in that much there. It's also more fulfilling in a way: if you can convince someone who comes from a very different place that you're a great fit for the school, you probably are. Your résumé, essays, and the rest of your file already provide enough insights into your accomplishments; so I think the interview is a great opportunity to focus on the reasoning more than on the facts already known to members of the school.

For the reasons mentioned above, I'd personally pick being interviewed by someone from the admissions committee over someone who's shared a similar industry/career trajectory with me.

Originally posted by Hormazd91 on 29 Oct 2016, 22:02.
Last edited by Hormazd91 on 30 Oct 2016, 00:05, edited 1 time in total.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Interesting debate. I think the best situation here is to get interviewed at least.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
Interesting debate. I think the best situation here is to get interviewed at least.

Haha @Souvik101990, want to chime in?
Don't worry man, your invite might well be on its way...

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Schools: Yale '18 (M)
Send PM
I'm guessing I bumped into a few of you last Friday :)

Feel free to reach out to me if you're coming down to campus to visit or interview.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
I also just came back from the interview on Friday. It was a great experience. The interview was pretty typical outside of discussing the quote that we had to submit.

Did everyone else enjoy the "class" led by Professor Bach on non-market strategy? Most class visits I've been in have been with current students at the school where we were only allowed to observe and not participate. So I thought it was neat that Yale SOM conducted a class experience with just interviewees, i.e. your potential classmates! It was fun to participate in the discussion and listen to others share their thoughts. I thought it was a nice touch.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Do you guys that anymore invites to Indian candidates will come now that the interviews have already been conducted here?

[quote="Hormazd91"][quote="souvik101990"]Interesting debate. I think the best situation here is to get interviewed at least.

Haha souvik101990, want to chime in?
Don't worry man, your invite might well be on its way...

Sent from my Mi 4i using
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
How have they not released dings yet... It's just pure cruelty at this point.

Give us closure!!!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  16   17   18   19   20   21   22  ...  38   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts