Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:45 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke Fuqua MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]
yahsa wrote:
vikwork87 wrote:
I have got 2 emails today - 'Ready to get into the mind of consumers?' and 'Prepare for a career in consulting'. Do you get such random promotional emails as well?

Yup.

Are you awaiting results too ? I am a R1 applicant who interviewed in the open slots.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke Fuqua MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: Duke and Durham Remain Great Places for LGBT Students
As a newly elected co-president of FuquaPride, Fuqua’s LGBT Network, I had the opportunity to attend Reaching Out MBA’s (ROMBA) Leadership Summit in Chicago last April. There I met and networked with other leaders of LGBT MBA organizations. Given this was only weeks after North Carolina passed its now-infamous HB2 law that limited state LGBT protections, I wasn’t surprised I kept getting the exact same question: “Why would any LGBT individual get their MBA in North Carolina now?”

Luckily, it was an easy answer: “Because they have Duke.”

Fuqua, the broader Duke community, and the even bigger Durham area will always remain safe, inclusive, supportive places for LBGT students. In the days and weeks following HB2’s passage, the reaction against the law in our community was palpable. Our MBAA (Fuqua’s student government) and other student organizations issued immediate statements in support of the LGBT community, Duke administrators doubled down on reconfirming their commitment to protecting diversity, our Dean spoke out against the legislature’s decision, we completed Fuqua’s first gender-neutral restrooms, and you would have thought Durham was celebrating Gay Pride Month early by the number of rainbow flags flying in local businesses.

While it was deeply moving to see such open support for my community last spring, I wasn’t that surprised by it. As I wrote in a blog post last year about our LGBT Weekend, FuquaPride is already a central institution at Fuqua, with events like trivia nights, our sold-out Drag Show, and our Ally Week bar crawl that attract hundreds of students and allies. And with UNC, NC State, and other universities just down the road, you’re living in a student-heavy region that has always been more willing to embrace diversity. That said, it’s the everyday life as a member of FuquaPride that really demonstrates why Duke is fantastic place for LGBT students.

#FuquaPride is celebrating its 20th anniversary and we had the chance of meeting Laura Gadd (Fuqua ’98), co-founder of the club. She shared her amazing life experience: “Fuqua has always been a place where tolerance and diversity are celebrated”

A photo posted by FuquaPride Official Account (@fuquapride) on Nov 2, 2016 at 8:41am PDT

FuquaPride is a community within a community, and we take everything that is special about the Team Fuqua culture and put it in a smaller, more familial package. With 40 plus out LGBT members (a number that continues to grow every year!), and an even bigger network of allies, there is always someone ready to drop what they’re doing to provide you with the support you need—whether that’s a second pair of eyes on your resume before you head to the annual ROMBA Conference, help with mastering a concept in your core statistics class, or just a group of friends to share a drink with when you need to celebrate a job offer (or mourn a rejection).  I’ve made many close friendships at Fuqua in just one year, but the relationships I developed through FuquaPride are some of my most important.

If you think Fuqua is a perfect fit for you, do not be worried that being LGBT in Durham will set you back! Our LGBT Weekend, hosted by Admissions and FuquaPride, is typically held in early December each year and provides a great opportunity to come see for yourself why Duke and Durham are great places for LGBT Students.

The post Duke and Durham Remain Great Places for LGBT Students appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: Winning the 2016 National Investment Banking Competition
The 2016 National Investment Banking Competition (NIBC) began in October 2015 with four friends from Fuqua who were six months, 330-plus teams, and 3,000 miles away from the championship.

When our team had formed, the goal was simple: be the best at investment banking.

Together in the first round, Team “DJ Khaled” put together a pitch book for AT&T (NYSE: T) recommending strategic acquisition opportunities. After advancing to the second round, our team traveled to Vancouver where over the course of 36 hours we created a new book for AT&T’s specific acquisition of media content provider Starz (NASDAQ: STRZ) and presented to a panel of investment bankers. Team DJ Khaled won our pool, advanced to the semi-finals and then became one of two finalists selected to present to the entire conference, including a board of managing directors. In the finals, we beat a team from Darmouth’s Tuck School of Business to win the 2016 NIBC Championship.

Thinking back to where this journey began, the competition had originally been announced in The Duke MBA Finance Club’s weekly newsletter which, given the timing (early fall), easily may have been overlooked by students for more pressing career recruiting opportunities. Nevertheless, the few of us whose attention it did catch were curious to find out if Fuqua had a history of participating and whether or not the administration supported the effort. In the absence of any clear institutional history in the event, we did what Fuqua students are known to do in the absence of clear guidance—we seized the initiative, garnered support from the Finance Club and the administration and set out on the road to Vancouver. Unsurprisingly, when we had made it sufficiently clear that we were serious about winning the competition, Fuqua rallied behind us.

The camaraderie that we developed as students allowed us to capitalize on our varied backgrounds and experiences to succeed throughout the competition. In fact, while we were holed up in a room with no connectivity during the final 36-hour case resolution, the experience seemed no different than working on a case with our Consequential Leadership (C-LEAD) teammates at the eleventh hour. Even though the material was completely new to us and we would soon be presenting to senior investment bankers from across North America, we were quickly able to coordinate roles based on our individual strengths, assimilate the details of the real-life scenario, turn out a final product, and present our results with confidence.

Competing in the NIBC not only allowed us to distinguish ourselves and attain international recognition from our peers and senior industry professionals, but allowed us to grow individually. We ventured beyond our comfort zone in Durham to develop new skills, which we knew would be essential for our future careers in finance. The NIBC ended up being the perfect culmination of our time at Fuqua.

The post Winning the 2016 National Investment Banking Competition appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply

Blast from the Past: Interview debriefs of previous Duke applicants

ambarisha wrote:
I had scheduled a skype interview. Had it on 13th. Had a great experience. The interviewer was a 2nd yr, really nice person. He appeared to have some standard set of questions.

walk me through your resume.
leadership experience in a team where you faced difficulties.
teamwork experiences (conflict situation)
an achievement as a leader.
a time when you failed at something.
most constructive feedback that you have received, how did you react to it? A second situation where you applied the learning from that feedback.
what differentiates you from other applicants?
your biggest weakness (one) and how are you working on it?
what past experiences have prepared you for your future ambitions and how fuqua will help you?
what does team fuqua mean to you?
how will you build further on your leadership skills at fuqua?
what clubs/activities are you looking forward to?
any questions from me?

Experience was great as I mentioned earlier. He was very friendly and we started off with a chat about how I was staying back in office for the interview and then a bit about Tata group after which we started with the questions. We had a few light moments as well! In the end, he also told me that I did well and wished me best for other parts of the process.

MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply

Blast from the Past: Interview debriefs of previous Duke applicants

GhanaBa wrote:
I just finished with my interview. I interviewed with a 2nd year student. He was super-friendly. The whole interaction took about an hour, although I anticipated 45min per the email. The questions were pretty much the 'traditional' questions. Why MBA, Why Fuqua, What do you bring to the MBA class? What extra-curricula activities will you pursue whiles in Fuqua, Two strengths and weaknesses. What courses in the program will be helpful for me. At the end of the questions, he gave me the chance to ask him questions and I got some very good insight from his answers.

I hope the above helps.

Good luck to anyone interviewing in the coming days.

asa2107 wrote:
Alumni interview done.... Very conversational ...

Mostly asked about things on my resume

- tell me abt urself
- why MBA and why now
- feedback u received
- difficult person on the team
- professional failure
- regrets ( didn't answer this properly)
- biggest achievement in life
- why fuqua ( give me top 2 reasons )
- clarifications on resume

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V44
Send PM
Kudos
Just got done with my Fuqua Round 1 interview with an alumnus in India. I'll be honest: it wasn't my best interview.

Although the interview questions were fairly standard, the interviewer's reactions to my responses seemed far from encouraging. I felt that a lot more questions than usual were focused on my weaknesses, preconceived notions about me, and criticisms. Other questions included Why MBA, Why particularly in the US, Why Fuqua, Contribution to Fuqua, Career Goals, and a lot of behavioural questions. The interview lasted about 50 minutes.

At this point, I'm not sure I can expect too much from Fuqua; but I'm not ruling it off just yet.

Good luck to the others.

Sent from my Mi 4i using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GPA: 3.19
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Duke '16 (A)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: My Summer Internship in Seattle
I remember May 30, 2016 as if it were yesterday.

It was the day I arrived in Seattle to begin my summer internship—an integral and highly-anticipated element of the MBA experience. I had never actually been to the Emerald City before, but various Fuqua classmates who had either lived or visited Seattle assured me of its merits (and its glorious summer weather).

I spent a total of eleven weeks working in a marketing strategy role at Zillow, America’s largest real estate marketplace. It was a rewarding experience for many reasons, in particular because it was a fantastic opportunity to challenge myself professionally. Although I had worked in marketing prior to business school, my internship at Zillow exposed me to many new facets of the function, in particular the planning, execution, and maintenance of mobile advertising campaigns. I leveraged the skills and knowledge I gained during my first year at Fuqua—both the hard skills acquired through marketing and statistics classes, and the softer skills from the core class Management Communications.

https://blogs.fuqua.duke.edu/duke-mba/w ... 24x432.jpg
Kayaking in the Puget Sound as part of a summer intern event

Career aside, my internship in Seattle also represented a unique chance to challenge myself personally. Not only was I in a brand new city, but also in a totally different part of the U.S. I used the summer to explore all Seattle had to offer: the quirky coffee shops, the bustling rooftop bars, the gorgeous running trails along the Puget Sound, and the cool museums and wineries. Always one to enjoy exploring new places, I used my weekends to travel, visiting great cities such as Los Angeles, Portland, and Vancouver. Moving to a totally new city is a surefire way to push you out of your comfort zone!

Finally, the experience I had over the summer was a distinct and comforting reminder that the Fuqua network is expansive and extensive. I both socialized and worked with numerous Fuquans, giving me the chance to solidify friendships with classmates also interning in Seattle, as well as building my network by connecting with Fuqua alums living and working in the city.

https://blogs.fuqua.duke.edu/duke-mba/w ... G_0030.jpg
Three Fuuqans feeling good after completing the Seattle Rock n Roll Half Marathon
https://blogs.fuqua.duke.edu/duke-mba/w ... G_0029.jpg
Fuqua goes wine tasting in Woodinville, WA!

The post My Summer Internship in Seattle appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: Duke '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations, Technology
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: The Fuqua Experience: Our Stories
Melissa Blette
Like many, I came to orientation feeling excited but nervous. Would the “Team Fuqua” spirit I felt during my campus visits be true of my experience? How would I handle the transition back to school? Would I make the lifelong friends I’d hoped for? Now a couple terms in, I can assure you that the collaborative nature of Team Fuqua is incredibly real.

As a proud member of Section 4, I have already made what I feel could be lifelong friends and my section-mates, in particular, have been so supportive. When I got sick, a member of my Consequential Leadership (C-LEAD) team came over, cooked dinner, and cleaned the dishes. When I needed extra help on statistics, a section-mate tutored me for an entire Saturday which was her only day off that week. When I earned an on-campus leadership position, I found sticky notes on my locker congratulating me on becoming a #girlboss. So with all this, I can truly say that through late-night study sessions, C-LEAD team dinners, and even a few “Bachelor in Paradise” viewing parties, I’ve made friends that will last a lifetime.

Tushar Dasgupta
As I was flying from India for my first trip abroad, I was full of mixed emotions. I was excited to go to a country known as the “Land of Dreams,”—a place where liberty and freedom are respected—but I was apprehensive whether I’d fit in. As a gay man in India, I had always felt uncomfortable and unaccepted. In large cities, I knew the U.S. would be more open to me being gay, but I had some doubts that Durham would be the place I could live openly for the next two years. The state had just passed HB2, their infamous transgender “bathroom law.”

Now that I’ve been in the U.S. for 100 days, I realize I made the right decision. The acceptance I feel at Fuqua and in Durham have exceeded my expectations by leaps and bounds. I’m a member of FuquaPride—Fuqua’s LGBT organization—which has given me a platform to meet people with similar life experiences; my entire class respects who I am; I’m fully supported in my professional and personal life; and I can share my problems with my amazing C-LEAD team. At Fuqua, I’m freer and happier than ever before and have found the acceptance I had been searching for my entire life.

Nicole Barefoot
At Fuqua, we’re a team. It’s not just something Fuqua puts on its marketing materials—it’s an ingrained belief. Before going to business school, I was worried about keeping up with my quantitative courses; I was worried about living in a brand new city where my spouse was traveling for most of the week; and I was worried I wouldn’t fit in.

Since I started school a few months ago, those feelings have faded away. Instead, the people I’ve met have encouraged me to be my best and have motivated me to be even more supportive and authentic. When I needed help in Fall 1 Economics, many of my sectionmates reached out to offer their time. They had more than enough work to keep their 24 hours jam-packed—so this wasn’t just “I’m going to help you,” but an “I’m choosing to give up something else to make sure you succeed.” This mentality will continue to be a guiding principle for me. I’ll always remember how I felt when my team members reached out and how much better my team functioned knowing we supported each another.

Ultimately, every prospective student needs to decide what school is their best fit. But what’s great about Fuqua is that we don’t have an individual “fit”—because we’re a team.

The post The Fuqua Experience: Our Stories appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1263 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Round 1 admits to be out in another 10 days. Can anyone feel the excitement/nervousness?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  11   12   13   14   15   16   17  ...  29   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts