Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2318 [2]
Given Kudos: 974
Concentration: Finance and accounting
Schools:Johnson, Fuqua, Simon, Mendoza
GPA: 4.0
WE 3: 10
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2930 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Re: The smallest number which, when divided by 4, 6 or 7 leaves a remainde [#permalink]
feruz77 wrote:
The smallest number which, when divided by 4, 6 or 7 leaves a remainder of 2, is:
a) 44
b) 62
c) 80
d) 86
e) none of these

Pls, help with a solution method!?

Right, the solutions above are correct in their own way. But the way I think about this is the following :

The set of numbers that are divisible by numbers a,b,c are {LCM,LCMx2,LCMx3,...}
So what we need to know is the LCM of 4,6,7
LCM of these numbers is 84.

So the smallest number leaving remainder 2 will be 86

Answer : (d)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 768 [2]
Given Kudos: 40
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Re: The smallest number which, when divided by 4, 6 or 7 leaves a remainde [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
feruz77 wrote:
The smallest number which, when divided by 4, 6 or 7 leaves a remainder of 2, is:

a) 44
b) 62
c) 80
d) 86
e) none of these

I have another vision of this problem:

In order to leave same remainder upon division by 4, 6 or 7 our number should be in the form:

\(N = LCM (4, 6, 7)*x + 2\), where \(x >= 0\)

\(N = 84*x + 2\)

And we have AP starting from 2

\(2, 86, 170 ...\)

Smallest number in progression which leaves remainder 2 when divided by all of the 4, 6 and 7 is 2 not 86.

Hence answer should be E.

Bunuel please correct me if I'm wrong, may be I missed something.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
feruz77 wrote:

a) 44
b) 62
c) 80
d) 86
e) none of these

Note that the smallest such number is 2.
When 2 is divided by 4, the quotient is 0 and remainder is 2.
Same logic for 6 and 7 too.

Out of the given options, the next smallest number will be LCM (4, 6, 7) + 2 = 86

Answer (D)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 768 [0]
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
feruz77 wrote:

a) 44
b) 62
c) 80
d) 86
e) none of these

Out of the given options, the next smallest number will be LCM (4, 6, 7) + 2 = 86

Answer (D)

Dear Karishma

Thank you very much for your reply.

But why quotient should not be 0. The question asks about remainder not specifying the quotient. Why the whole number can not go into remainder without splitting into quotient and remainder? I can’t still get why 2 is not appropriate? Question asks about min number.

Could you please elaborate.

Thank you in advance
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Dear Karishma

Little more

The Number is in the form:

N=LCM(a,b,c)*n + 2

Why can't we take n=0?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
let-s-be-the-set-of-all-positive-integers-that-when-divided-by-8-hav-187551.html

In the question above in order to get oficial answer A we need to strat our progression from remainder itself (5) and our quotient is 0.

Can anybody explain why we can't use 2 as our answer here?

I think there should be phrazes like "different from remainder itself", "two digit number" or A<N<B in order to indicate some interval.

Many thanks and kudos for explanation from me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Another way of looking at the problem,
Going directly to the answer options, two answers can be omitted directly as they are divisible by 4 i.e. 44 and 80. We want the answer where after division from 4 remainder should be 2.
For remaining two should comply the equation 4x+2, 6x+2 and 7x+2.
The answer is 86. Answer D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
feruz77 wrote:

a) 44
b) 62
c) 80
d) 86
e) none of these

Dear Prashantrchawla

Your approach is good and 86 definitely leaves remainder 2 when divided by 4, 6 and 7.

But, I have some doubts about this question. I think it’s trickier than it seems. The question does not ask which number from the list leaves remainder … or which smallest two digit number leaves remainder … or something of that sort. It simply and directly asks “what smallest number …” and smallest number is definitely 2 not 86.

But official answer says 86 so let it be. This will remain my personal dilemma :) .

Thanks for kudos by the way
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
vitaliyGMAT wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
feruz77 wrote:

a) 44
b) 62
c) 80
d) 86
e) none of these

Answer (D)

Dear Karishma

Thank you very much for your reply.

But why quotient should not be 0. The question asks about remainder not specifying the quotient. Why the whole number can not go into remainder without splitting into quotient and remainder? I can’t still get why 2 is not appropriate? Question asks about min number.

Could you please elaborate.

Thank you in advance

The answer should be 2. The quotient can be 0. I said in my post above that the smallest such number is 2. The options don't have 2 and hence we needed to ignore it. Else, the correct answer is 2 only.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Dear Karishma
Thanks a lot for confirmation
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Schools: EDHEC (A$)
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE:General Management (Human Resources)
Send PM
IMO the correct answer should be E as the smallest number is 2!

--== Message from the GMAT Club Team ==--

THERE IS LIKELY A BETTER DISCUSSION OF THIS EXACT QUESTION.
This discussion does not meet community quality standards. It has been retired.

If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Problem Solving (PS) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92900 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts