Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:37 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Yale '19 (A)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Yale SOM Class of 2019 - Calling all Admitted Students!! [#permalink]
Quick question: Does anybody know the grade non-disclosure policy at Yale? Preferably including a source for the information? Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V44
Send PM
Hey!

Congratulations to everyone who made it through. I look forward to getting to know each of you better over the coming few weeks.

Still seems surreal to me.

Sent from my Mi 4i using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 660 Q44 V36
GMAT 3: 710 Q46 V41
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
alphanumericman wrote:
Quick question: Does anybody know the grade non-disclosure policy at Yale? Preferably including a source for the information? Thanks!

I am not sure.
aerien Can you help us with this question?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Congratulations to all of us! I am extremely happy, grateful and cannot stop smiling! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
Send PM
alphanumericman wrote:
Guys, is the "Class of 2019" website link working for you guys? The link I got in my email is not working for me.

I had the same problem. Try manually typing https://admitted.som.yale.edu. The link in the letter used https://, which messed it up for me.

Hope that helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Congratulations everyone! Hopefully I get to meet a few of you in the coming weeks at the admitted student weekend.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.9
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
alphanumericman wrote:
Guys, is the "Class of 2019" website link working for you guys? The link I got in my email is not working for me. Also, is it OK to join the Facebook group already?

Congrats all!

Regarding the Facebook group, I think it's fine -- there are a lot of people already on it and I'm sure most are waiting to hear back from other places / making some kind of decision.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
alphanumericman wrote:

they started disclosing grades two years ago. it was controversial at the time but i asked current students about it and they didn't mind.

my source is veritas: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#-essenti ... #whatsyale

A new grading policy.
Although SOM is known for its student-led culture and strong collaboration among students, faculty members, and administrators, the faculty unilaterally announced a controversial change in grading policies for fall of 2014, causing an uproar among students. The new policy adds a tier to the former system of Distinction, Proficient, Pass, and Fail, where as many as 85% of students received a Proficient grade. Stricter curves were put into place, and full disclosure of grades is now included on transcripts.
Students were upset that they were excluded from such a major decision, particularly one that may affect the collegial and non-competitive nature of the school’s culture. However, at Veritas Prep, we have found that grade non-disclosure policies have little impact on the culture of a school. For example, the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University has perhaps the most friendly and collegial atmosphere of any elite MBA program, and it has never had a grade non-disclosure policy. We’ll be looking closely to see if Yale’s culture is impacted by this decision.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Has anyone signed up to Re Vera yet? And does anyone know why the heck they don't tell you that the background check is complete?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I was recently admitted in R1 and I've never heard of this ...
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jocpederson wrote:
alphanumericman wrote:

they started disclosing grades two years ago. it was controversial at the time but i asked current students about it and they didn't mind.

my source is veritas: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#-essenti ... #whatsyale

A new grading policy.
Although SOM is known for its student-led culture and strong collaboration among students, faculty members, and administrators, the faculty unilaterally announced a controversial change in grading policies for fall of 2014, causing an uproar among students. The new policy adds a tier to the former system of Distinction, Proficient, Pass, and Fail, where as many as 85% of students received a Proficient grade. Stricter curves were put into place, and full disclosure of grades is now included on transcripts.
Students were upset that they were excluded from such a major decision, particularly one that may affect the collegial and non-competitive nature of the school’s culture. However, at Veritas Prep, we have found that grade non-disclosure policies have little impact on the culture of a school. For example, the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University has perhaps the most friendly and collegial atmosphere of any elite MBA program, and it has never had a grade non-disclosure policy. We’ll be looking closely to see if Yale’s culture is impacted by this decision.

Here's the official grading policy from the university (scroll down to Grades for the part you're interested in):
https://bulletin.printer.yale.edu/htmlfi ... c_policies

Grade non-disclosure is liberating in a way. It gave me the chance to explore a lot of courses that I probably wouldn't have otherwise if I was set on having a 4.0 GPA. And I really do recommend a business school without grade disclosure :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
yalesom2019 wrote:
Has anyone signed up to Re Vera yet? And does anyone know why the heck they don't tell you that the background check is complete?

Sorry, Re Vera? Some kind of list is available in our website?
And what do you mean about background check?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
aerien wrote:
jocpederson wrote:
alphanumericman wrote:

A new grading policy.

Here's the official grading policy from the university (scroll down to Grades for the part you're interested in):

Grade non-disclosure is liberating in a way. It gave me the chance to explore a lot of courses that I probably wouldn't have otherwise if I was set on having a 4.0 GPA. And I really do recommend a business school without grade disclosure :)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 740 Q42 V47
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Would it be appropriate to contact the FinAid office to ask some very basic questions?

Specifically:

-how feasible is it to obtain 100k-150k in loans?
-if so, how many various sources does one need to reach that level (federal loans and one or multiple private loans, like CommonBond, LendingClub, banks, etc.)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
aerien wrote:
jocpederson wrote:
alphanumericman wrote:

A new grading policy.

This is helpful. Thanks a lot! It's a bummer that the changed the grade disclosure policy. I wish we too had the liberating experience of grade non-disclosure! What do you think is the impact of the new disclosure policy on students? It seems that they disclose HH and H but not the other grades. That means it's pretty obvious that if there is no disclosure, it means that you got a lower grade. Do they also disclose your GPA?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
There is no GPA on a numeric scale like many had in undergrad. I think they disclose HH and H but really that doesn't mean much overall (vs going to a school with an A/B/C/D/F scale that concerts into a 4.0 gpa). It's really not something to stress about.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [2]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V44
Send PM
Kudos
blackcoffee2016 wrote:
Would it be appropriate to contact the FinAid office to ask some very basic questions?

Specifically:

-how feasible is it to obtain 100k-150k in loans?
-if so, how many various sources does one need to reach that level (federal loans and one or multiple private loans, like CommonBond, LendingClub, banks, etc.)

Yes, absolutely. I was fortunate enough to be able to meet the Director of Financial Aid herself at an SOM reception in Mumbai in October, and asked her a couple of similar questions.
You may reach out directly, I'm sure the team will be happy to help.

Just in case this helps, here's what I was told: students can borrow up to 80% of the total cost of attendance. For international students, there are two third party lenders that are most popular and offer student loans to international students without cosigner (Prodigy and Quorum). Both options have their pros and cons in terms of interest rates, ease of application, etc. So you might want to look up these options and appear slightly better informed before you write to the office. Yale SOM also happens to have worked out a great deal for its students with Prodigy, which now offers loans at very competitive interest rates to SOM students.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my Mi 4i using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts