Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: UNC Kenan-Flagler Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Eval [#permalink]
Mene713 wrote:
Hi John,

GAF = Google, Apple, Facebook. So a bit of a background for you, I applied and was accepted this year and did so through the open interview period. In my experience this fall, visiting the campus, prior to writing my essays helped a great deal. It lets you be more specific in WHY you want to go to that school, (did you sit in on a class, talk to the leader of a club, experience the local town, etc.). Secondly, it guarantees you an interview. If you apply and choose to not do the open period, you MAY get an interview. It shows to the adcom you are interested enough in their school to make the trek to Chapel Hill voluntarily, and who knows maybe they come out of your interview loving you. I don't know any specifics about acceptance rates in open season vs normal interviews, so I can't speak to that, but I would recommend it.

Best of you luck, hopefully I'll see you in Chapel Hill in two years!

Got it, thanks very much for the explanation. That makes complete sense, definitely would be great to experience the campus firsthand and be able to reference that when going through the application process.
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Re: UNC Kenan-Flagler Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Eval [#permalink]
Expert Reply
bigjohn17 wrote:
Hi, thanks for taking the time to give some feedback, here's my profile. Any commentary/advice/etc. would be much appreciated.
Hi bigjohn17, I am in fact about as much of an expert on Kenan-Flagler admissions as you can be from the outside right now as I have 15 prior years working in admissions there. I will rate your profile below...
About Me:

Caucasian Male
26 (5 years of work experience)
GMAT: 680This is not too painful- but it is not helping you- because the avg of the school is 700+ or just a bit higher and they want that number moving up. But not so far off that if all else is great that you are out of it.
GPA: 3.94 (from a mid-tier west coast private school)This is great! With an avg GPA of about 3.4 for the program you help the overall profile here and that helps to make up a bit for the lower GMAT. And being from the west coast is a plus as UNC likes to attract students from all over.
Undergrad: Double degrees in Finance and Economics (Summa Cum Laude in both).Doing well in finance and econ shows adcom that you can handle the work here.

Work Experience

Finance (fairly high visibility role) at a large Silicon Valley tech company (think Google, Apple, Facebook). I've also done a stint overseas as well, not sure if this would be beneficial for my application.Tech hiring in MBA programs is at an all time high- and Kenan-Flagler loves for its students to go to Google, FB, Apple etc so the fact that you bring this experience coming in will only help you.

Extracurriculars

Working as a finance mentor with a non-profit organization to advise startups in developing countries on their books and how to best position themselves financially for potential investment.
This is great- if you can show how you've had impact here and how this fits into goals for future that would be even better.
You don't tell me why you want Kenan-Flagler so make sure you do that in interview- and also do your homework about how you can add value- maybe in Tech club with building relationships with west coast companies? Think about how you can enhance UNC. If you have a strong interview- things could go well for you... and with a poor one... maybe not as much. Make connections to students, show adcom you are passionate about UNC. If you want even some hourly coaching on the interview- I can do that for you- here is a link for how to get 5% off that service- I have reviewed thousands of UNC applications and conducted so many interviews for UNC I have lost count- so if you want some extra coaching- I can help. Here's the link:
https://stratusprep.com/admissions/busi ... b-visitor/
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mene713 wrote:
Hi John,
Hi Mene713,
I am so happy you are enjoying UNC! I thought one interesting thing might be to share with folks here what is the best surprise or favorite thing you have discovered about Kenan-Flagler since becoming a student there? This would be useful for other applicants to see!
GAF = Google, Apple, Facebook. So a bit of a background for you, I applied and was accepted this year and did so through the open interview period. In my experience this fall, visiting the campus, prior to writing my essays helped a great deal. It lets you be more specific in WHY you want to go to that school, (did you sit in on a class, talk to the leader of a club, experience the local town, etc.). Secondly, it guarantees you an interview. If you apply and choose to not do the open period, you MAY get an interview. It shows to the adcom you are interested enough in their school to make the trek to Chapel Hill voluntarily, and who knows maybe they come out of your interview loving you. I don't know any specifics about acceptance rates in open season vs normal interviews, so I can't speak to that, but I would recommend it.

Best of you luck, hopefully I'll see you in Chapel Hill in two years!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 2.9
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Would really be thankful if you guys can take a look at my profile

Nationality: Indian
GMAT: 700 Q 50 V 34 (Giving the exam again on 13th of next month)
Undergrad 7.29/10 from IIIT Hyderabad (Next to old IITs sorta collage)
12th 93% 10th 88%

Work Ex: 4 years by the time I start my MBA

Currently with Grab Singapore (Backend engineer)
Previously 2 years 2 months at Google India as a Software Engineer
Although this does not count (10 months Research intern with CA during undergrad and Summer intern at Groupon)

Achievements and Extra Curriculars:

1. U14 State level Kabaddi (Represented Odisha)
2. Cultural Head for annual techno cultural fest of Undergrad university [ And also Cultural head for 2 successive years for intra college events]
3. Ed Support volunteer at Make A difference ( ~ 8 months)
4. ACM ICPC two times onsite under 30 ranked team
5. TA for artificial intelligence in Undergrad
6. School(High school and Primary) level certificates for few sports and cultural events

Any suggestions or any idea about the chances?
Send PM
Expert Reply
akay91 wrote:
Would really be thankful if you guys can take a look at my profile
hi akay91, happy to take a look at your profile.
Nationality: Indian
GMAT: 700 Q 50 V 34 (Giving the exam again on 13th of next month)Will help you to stand out a bit more if you can get up to 730+
Undergrad 7.29/10 from IIIT Hyderabad (Next to old IITs sorta collage)
12th 93% 10th 88%

Work Ex: 4 years by the time I start my MBA

Currently with Grab Singapore (Backend engineer)
Previously 2 years 2 months at Google India as a Software Engineer
Although this does not count (10 months Research intern with CA during undergrad and Summer intern at Groupon)
The Google India experience will appeal to adcom
Achievements and Extra Curriculars:

1. U14 State level Kabaddi (Represented Odisha)
2. Cultural Head for annual techno cultural fest of Undergrad university [ And also Cultural head for 2 successive years for intra college events]
3. Ed Support volunteer at Make A difference ( ~ 8 months)
4. ACM ICPC two times onsite under 30 ranked team
5. TA for artificial intelligence in Undergrad
6. School(High school and Primary) level certificates for few sports and cultural events

Any suggestions or any idea about the chances?

What do you want to do? Hopefully something in tech as that's where the most opportunities are for someone with your background. I encourage you to reach out to current students from the website, to understand what you want to do post MBA- tech product mgmt? Show that you have researched the path for key target employers such as Dell or Amazon- both hiring many UNC Kenan-Flagler students- or whatever company interests you- but be specific about the pathway you see for yourself and how it builds upon your past work. Trust me- it shows when people take the time to connect the dots from the past to the future. Make sure you showcase the kind of impact you have been able to have in your work. How do you see yourself making an impact at UNC? Answering these questions well- along with trying to up your GMAT would be my suggestions for upping your chances. If you want us to look at your profile in more detail- we can do that on a free consult if you sign up through this link: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Background and nationality: 26, male, caucasian. Born in the UK, but have British, Irish and Canadian passports

Undergrad Information: BA in Politics from University College London (3.7GPA); MA in Politics from KU Leuven

GRE: - 326

Work experience and leadership: Live and work in Dubai. Employed as a senior consultant at a small advisory firm. Also worked in British Parliament, and for a large PR firm. My function is policy and communications consulting.

I was also a trainee officer in the army, but left to relocate to Dubai.

Professional work experience amounts to 3 years, will be 4 when I begin my MBA.

Post MBA goals: Stay in communications/policy, but go in at a higher level (management)

Also worth noting, I won't be able to discuss a lot of the work I do on my application as a portion of it (at least the interesting stuff), is government-led and, therefore, under NDA.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Operations, Sustainability
GRE 1: Q158 V156
GPA: 2.9
WE:Science (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Thank you for taking the time to check out my profile. Being a non-traditional student, I have some concerns on how I'm going to stand out. I've been doing a lot of research over the past year and it's time to put myself out there and get some advice. Thanks again!

Background/nationality: Career changer, white male, American, 34 y/o, LGBT

Undergrad school/major: Top 50 Public School (Big 12), BSc Petroleum Geology

Undergrad GPA: 2.9 overall with an upward trend; last 60 hrs/GPA in major = 3.2. No real excuse for this except just not knowing what I wanted to major in for the 1st few semesters and my grades suffered until I found my major.

GMAT Score: 680 (42Q/40V)

Work experience: 9 years in O&G mostly working for E&P's; US onshore upstream operations/development roles. No managerial roles; more project management (in O&G it seems to take much more time to get into any kind of leadership roles).

Extra curricular: Most recent: delivery driver and kitchen assistant for a non-profit that makes meals for those with life-threatening illness; volunteer usher at one of the largest performing arts centers in the country; volunteer for outdoor preservation group; trumpet player in community concert band; other various corporate-sponsored programs (United Way, Junior Achievement, Habitat for Humanity).

Post MBA goals: I currently have 3 pathways that I'm interested in:
1.) General management/rotational program in Energy
2.) O&G investment banking
3.) Management Consultant with hopes of exiting to O&G later
*also interested in GE EFS but not sure where that fits in here

I'd like to add that UT, Tepper, and UNC are at the top of my list but I know these are probably stretches and definitely have lower ranked programs on my list as well. Open to suggestions on schools I may have overlooked.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Hi
I am an Indian female with an engineering background. I will be applying to B schools in US this year for a two year MBA program.
Please evaluate my profile for Kenan-Flagler.

GMAT: 710 (50Q/35V/IR7/AWA6)
GPA: 9.46/10
Degree: B.Tech in Computer Science
Experience: 4 years by the time i join. I work in the Analytics Industry. I am currently working with Lowes. I was employed with Mu Sigma before this for 2 years
Extracurricular: I have some experience working as a volunteer for various events in college
I play tennis too.

Please evaluate my profile and let me know if my profile is good enough for this university
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.25
WE:Analyst (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Dear Experts, Please evaluate my profile for UNC Admission- R1

GMAT - 680
Nationality- Indian
Age- 26
Professional Experience - 4.5 Years (International Exp ~ 4 Years , Domestic Exp ~ 0.5 years)

College (Graduation)
• College name: Indian Institute of Technology, Gandhinagar
• Degree: B. Tech [Mechanical]
• Grades: 8.15/10
• Notable projects undertaken: Generation of Hot Spots in Photovoltaic cell at Underwriters Laboratory, Chicago, USA

Schooling
• 10th and 12th Grades: 93% (CBSE, District level Merit Holder) , 88% (MP Board) respectively
• Extracurricular activities: Cricket and Photography

Professional Experience
I have worked in three locations of same company.
 Polyplex Corporation Limited
 Role- Management Trainee
Location- Noida India
 Tenure- 6months [June’13-Nov’13]
 Polyplex Europa
 Location- Çorlu, Turkey
 Tenure- 6months [Dec’13-May’14]

 Polyplex Thailand Public Company Limited
 Role- Production Analyst (Manager) reporting to General Manager (Head-Operations) and Now working as Process Manager (Production) since May’16
 Location- Rayong, Thailand
 Tenure- 39 months [June’14- Till date]

Professional Experience:-
Job Profile – I am the youngest person in the company to have been hired at the post of Manager in the company’s history of 30+ years.
Polyplex Group is the 4th Largest manufacturer of Polyester Film in the world with locations in India, Turkey, Thailand and USA and distribution offices in Poland, China, Netherlands, Singapore etc.

Operational Analyst
For 2 years, I worked under Head-Operations (General Manager) of company as operational Analyst. In this profile, my work catered to the data analysis on various aspects for the plant improvement. I have been involved in high decision making body for the turn-around of the company. For this I worked with Managing Director of the company. I was completely responsible for CAPEX proposal, MIS Generation. One of my proposals accepted by top management resulted in annual saving of USD 1 million. I got a fair exposure of general management of the company including the financial aspects. In this role, I got a fair view of all areas of running a business, right from Inventory management to product manufacturing to Manpower Management along with the sales strategy of the company. I have been part of all CEO Review meetings, which gave me an amazing experience of how top management deals with problems and how does senior management perceive things.

Process Manager
Looking into the good performance, I have been shifted to the core operations as process Manager (Industrial Film Division), independently handling the operations of 2000MT/Month production capacity polyester film plant. Plant is $100 Million facility, with state of the art setup
I am responsible for all process related trouble shooting and all new product development related activities, handling day-to-day operational activities involved in Production.

50 Thai nationals report me directly (Production Department)

Experience of working outside India in Non English Speaking Country-

Living abroad in countries such as Turkey and Thailand, where the native language is not English, has been a challenging but my life’s most interesting experience. You will have to adapt to a new culture and a new way of life. Immersing in foreign environment required flexibility and determination. That was not easy at the beginning but it has been a great life lesson. I found myself becoming more independent and more outspoken person. Taking decision to go abroad opened my mind and opportunities. I met people that don’t necessarily think and live like i did. This has called me into question what I’ve believed in so far and gave me opportunity to grow from this experience. Working and Hanging out with localities of Thailand gave me chance to live in this amazing culture and experience more closely.

Extracurricular Activities & Achievements

o Received Dean’s List Award for excellent academic performance in IIT in last four semesters (consecutively)
o Won College Competition organized among all IIT Gandhinagar Students. Got opportunity for Internship in Underwriters Laboratory, Chicago, USA. Received an award of $1000 as part of competition win.
o Part of College Cricket Team , which represented Inter-IIT Sports Meet Organized in IIT Delhi
o Marketing Manager of IIT-GN Technical Annual Summit. Had at team of 15 young students. Footfall of Summit increased threefold
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
I was hoping you could provide some insight on my profile.

25 year old White Male
BBA Finance and Management from a probably not well known state uni: 4.0 GPA
GMAT: 650 (Q 44, V36)
WE : Will have 4 years at Merrill Lynch as a financial advisor and analyst for two Global Institutional Consulting teams
Community : Serve on the Board of Directors for three organizations: Big Brothers Big Sisters of NM, BBBS Foundation, and the 20-30 Club (a childrens charity non-profit).
Post MBA goals - Transition to work in either marketing or consulting, haven't decided exactly what yet (but I will by applications).

Thank you!
Send PM
Expert Reply
KPMBA wrote:
Background and nationality: 26, male, caucasian. Born in the UK, but have British, Irish and Canadian passports
Strong cross-cultural experience
Undergrad Information: BA in Politics from University College London (3.7GPA); MA in Politics from KU Leuven

GRE: - 326 UNC's state avgs on GRE from Poets&Quants says 160 V and 157 Q so your 326 is above the 317 avg. So that is good!

Work experience and leadership: Live and work in Dubai. Employed as a senior consultant at a small advisory firm. Also worked in British Parliament, and for a large PR firm. My function is policy and communications consulting.
[color=#2e3192]I think you look to have a good background- you can set yourself apart by really getting to know the school- talk to students! I'd be happy to do a free consult and I do think having a consultant can help. For a link to set up a free consult, go here: [https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com/admissions/business-school-admissions-consulting-gmat-club-visitor//color]
I was also a trainee officer in the army, but left to relocate to Dubai.

Professional work experience amounts to 3 years, will be 4 when I begin my MBA.

Post MBA goals: Stay in communications/policy, but go in at a higher level (management)

Also worth noting, I won't be able to discuss a lot of the work I do on my application as a portion of it (at least the interesting stuff), is government-led and, therefore, under NDA.
Send PM
Expert Reply
shubham12123 wrote:
Dear Experts, Please evaluate my profile for UNC Admission- R1

GMAT - 680
Nationality- Indian
Age- 26
Professional Experience - 4.5 Years (International Exp ~ 4 Years , Domestic Exp ~ 0.5 years)
Right here is a big problem at the start- there are so many strong candidates applying with GMAT scores over 700 from India that you are in a tough spot from the start... but let me review the rest and see if I see something that can help.
College (Graduation)
• College name: Indian Institute of Technology, Gandhinagar
• Degree: B. Tech [Mechanical]
• Grades: 8.15/10
• Notable projects undertaken: Generation of Hot Spots in Photovoltaic cell at Underwriters Laboratory, Chicago, USA

Schooling
• 10th and 12th Grades: 93% (CBSE, District level Merit Holder) , 88% (MP Board) respectively
• Extracurricular activities: Cricket and Photography
good academics and that helps

Professional Experience
I have worked in three locations of same company.
 Polyplex Corporation Limited
Location- Noida India
 Tenure- 6months [June’13-Nov’13]
 Polyplex Europa
 Location- Çorlu, Turkey
 Tenure- 6months [Dec’13-May’14]

 Polyplex Thailand Public Company Limited
 Role- Production Analyst (Manager) reporting to General Manager (Head-Operations) and Now working as Process Manager (Production) since May’16
 Location- Rayong, Thailand
 Tenure- 39 months [June’14- Till date]

Professional Experience:-
Job Profile – I am the youngest person in the company to have been hired at the post of Manager in the company’s history of 30+ years.
Polyplex Group is the 4th Largest manufacturer of Polyester Film in the world with locations in India, Turkey, Thailand and USA and distribution offices in Poland, China, Netherlands, Singapore etc.
This is all very impressive- and could help. I suggest you get to know adcom by going to events or even possibly visiting campus so they can more fully appreciate this in your profile.
Operational Analyst
For 2 years, I worked under Head-Operations (General Manager) of company as operational Analyst. In this profile, my work catered to the data analysis on various aspects for the plant improvement. I have been involved in high decision making body for the turn-around of the company. For this I worked with Managing Director of the company. I was completely responsible for CAPEX proposal, MIS Generation. One of my proposals accepted by top management resulted in annual saving of USD 1 million. I got a fair exposure of general management of the company including the financial aspects. In this role, I got a fair view of all areas of running a business, right from Inventory management to product manufacturing to Manpower Management along with the sales strategy of the company. I have been part of all CEO Review meetings, which gave me an amazing experience of how top management deals with problems and how does senior management perceive things.

Process Manager
Looking into the good performance, I have been shifted to the core operations as process Manager (Industrial Film Division), independently handling the operations of 2000MT/Month production capacity polyester film plant. Plant is $100 Million facility, with state of the art setup
I am responsible for all process related trouble shooting and all new product development related activities, handling day-to-day operational activities involved in Production.

50 Thai nationals report me directly (Production Department)

Experience of working outside India in Non English Speaking Country-

Living abroad in countries such as Turkey and Thailand, where the native language is not English, has been a challenging but my life’s most interesting experience. You will have to adapt to a new culture and a new way of life. Immersing in foreign environment required flexibility and determination. That was not easy at the beginning but it has been a great life lesson. I found myself becoming more independent and more outspoken person. Taking decision to go abroad opened my mind and opportunities. I met people that don’t necessarily think and live like i did. This has called me into question what I’ve believed in so far and gave me opportunity to grow from this experience. Working and Hanging out with localities of Thailand gave me chance to live in this amazing culture and experience more closely.
really strong cross-cultural experience- this could be useful in Kenan-Flagler's Global Business Initiative https://www.kenan-flagler.unc.edu/Global ... initiative

Extracurricular Activities & Achievements

o Received Dean’s List Award for excellent academic performance in IIT in last four semesters (consecutively)
o Won College Competition organized among all IIT Gandhinagar Students. Got opportunity for Internship in Underwriters Laboratory, Chicago, USA. Received an award of $1000 as part of competition win.
o Part of College Cricket Team , which represented Inter-IIT Sports Meet Organized in IIT Delhi
o Marketing Manager of IIT-GN Technical Annual Summit. Had at team of 15 young students. Footfall of Summit increased threefold

I think you have a lot going for you- and Round 1 is the right round to apply- and also I suggest you try to get an open interview because if someone meets you and hears all this, it will help your case. Also- I suggest maybe trying to do the GMAT once more and let them know if your score improves- or try the GRE just once and see if you can score just a wee bit higher! Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 360 Q17 V21
GMAT 2: 540 Q35 V30
GPA: 2.71
WE:Human Resources (Education)
Send PM
Hi everyone,

See below for my profile and thanks in advance for your help. I signed up for an open interview which will be on 10/31. Class visit and lunch with a student as well. Any advice for that would also be helpful!

Sam

Background and nationality- 1st generation American. My parents are from Haiti.

Undergrad Information- Small State University. Graduated with a 2.7 GPA, Business Management major. Miserable first two years as an accounting major. Couldn’t picture myself crunching numbers all day so I switched to management before junior year because of the opportunity to take classes focused on HR, organizational behavior etc. wanted to focus on some type of career where I could help people in a way that felt meaningful.

Grades started to trend upward junior year and I made the Dean’s List second semester. Senior year- huge family accident and major health issues back home. Couldn’t focus and did horribly 1 semester. Buckled down and got a 3.26 last semester. Also worked every semester of school. Involved in some clubs and served as Treasurer for one.

GMAT: Still studying and my highest practice exam has been a 540- Q27 V37

Hoping to have around a 700 when it’s all said and done. I’ve been working with a tutor and improvement has been steady. Taking another CAT 10/21

Work experience and leadership
I’ve been fortunate to work for two high performing and well known companies in the education sector.

Second largest charter management org in the US->Recruitment Coordinator 1 year 4 months -> promoted to Associate Director of Recruitment 1 year 3 months -> recruited to join a founding Recruitment Team at the largest charter management org in LA been here for a year. I’ve built our university partnership strategy from scratch and I’ve achieved great results. My particular role has added great value to the org. I’ve even had the opportunity to work with C suite level folks advising them on their staffing.

Community and others- Basketball coach for my former summer team for two years. Won a championship my second year. I really enjoy mentoring youth. Part of the Urban League and I also did iMentor in NYC. Founded a career networking event back in NYC to connect inner city youth to successful professionals.

Post MBA goals- Human Capital Consulting. I’m particularly fond of Deloitte’s HC practice and know some people who work there, including a former recruiter I worked with. I want to make a transition to the private sector as I feel like my development as a professional is getting stagnant. It’s important to me to understand how orgs outside of this sector solve Human Capital issues. Long term I want to land in a Performance Management type of role.

Anything else? I’ve always had a chip on my shoulder because my colleagues have always come from well known schools with high GPAs. I’ve been able to surpass many of them at my jobs. I’ve been fortunate to land at good orgs within my sector and I’ve done my best to make the most of the opportunities. Also I’ll have about 4.5 years of experience at matriculation.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Non profit background :

Since this is a petitions evaluation thread :

I am an Indian, female, worked in the manufacturing industry for 4.5 years in marketing and moved to US and took up volunteering here at a non profit as my visa situation does not allow for paid employment. I am jus worried that my employment gap of 1.5 years may play against my profile. But I have lead many digital marketing and fundraising efforts at my non profit. How does UNC see such candidates? My gmat is 710 and GPA is 8.2/10.

Posted from my mobile device
Send PM
Expert Reply
heya123 wrote:
Non profit background :
hi heya123, I think I may have reviewed this already- but in case I did not- I would say as long as you can show progress in your career, I think you will find some understanding people at UNC. To be even stronger as a candidate there I'd suggest you also use some of your time to keep studying for the GMAT as if you can up your score just a bit, you get into less crowded waters,
and you may find more enthusiasm for your profile!

Since this is a petitions evaluation thread :

I am an Indian, female, worked in the manufacturing industry for 4.5 years in marketing and moved to US and took up volunteering here at a non profit as my visa situation does not allow for paid employment. I am jus worried that my employment gap of 1.5 years may play against my profile. But I have lead many digital marketing and fundraising efforts at my non profit. How does UNC see such candidates? My gmat is 710 and GPA is 8.2/10.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Send PM
Hi all,

I'd appreciate brutal honesty here as I've got years to offset the weaknesses of my profile.

Background:

Born in Indonesia (country of Citizenship). Lived in Russia and Kenya for a year each during childhood, Chapel Hill for all 4 years of high school (I am very familiar with the UNC campus).

Undergrad Information:
University: Virginia Tech
Major: Industrial & Systems Engineering
Graduation Date: May 2015
GPA: 2.6 (yikes I know)

GMAT:
720 (Q49, V40)

Work experience and leadership:
WE
Years 0-2: Technology Consultant @ Mid-cap (Rev $600M) Supply Chain Software company in Atlanta, GA
Years 2-present: Technology Consultant @ Large-cap (Rev $3B) Enterprise Software company in San Francisco, CA

Leadership:
- Acted as main point of contact for entire software-driven retail supply chain of a $7B revenue client (first job); Led training, product pitching, design and different varieties of meetings to client members ranging from Manager to CIO.
- President of Indonesian College Students' Association (Undergrad)
- Mentor/Trainer of new hires (first Job)

Community and others:
- Mentor/Tutor/Adviser to students interested in tech careers local Bay Area High School

Post MBA goals:
In order of preference:
- Strategy/Management Consulting
- Entrepreneurship
- Investment Banking
- Corporate Finance
- General Management

Additional:
Would pursuing an online MSF degree be worthwhile in offsetting the GPA issue? Beyond that but with the same aim in mind, I've also considered getting a BA Certificate from UC Berkeley Extension. Are either of these worth deeply exploring?

I think the above should be a good start. I appreciate any input in advance on odds with current profile state and areas to improve on.

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.15
Send PM
sugana99 wrote:
Hi all,

I'd appreciate brutal honesty here as I've got years to offset the weaknesses of my profile.

Background:

Born in Indonesia (country of Citizenship). Lived in Russia and Kenya for a year each during childhood, Chapel Hill for all 4 years of high school (I am very familiar with the UNC campus).

Undergrad Information:
University: Virginia Tech
Major: Industrial & Systems Engineering
Graduation Date: May 2015
GPA: 2.6 (yikes I know)

GMAT:
720 (Q49, V40)

Work experience and leadership:
WE
Years 0-2: Technology Consultant @ Mid-cap (Rev $600M) Supply Chain Software company in Atlanta, GA
Years 2-present: Technology Consultant @ Large-cap (Rev $3B) Enterprise Software company in San Francisco, CA

Leadership:
- Acted as main point of contact for entire software-driven retail supply chain of a $7B revenue client (first job); Led training, product pitching, design and different varieties of meetings to client members ranging from Manager to CIO.
- President of Indonesian College Students' Association (Undergrad)
- Mentor/Trainer of new hires (first Job)

Community and others:
- Mentor/Tutor/Adviser to students interested in tech careers local Bay Area High School

Post MBA goals:
In order of preference:
- Strategy/Management Consulting
- Entrepreneurship
- Investment Banking
- Corporate Finance
- General Management

Additional:
Would pursuing an online MSF degree be worthwhile in offsetting the GPA issue? Beyond that but with the same aim in mind, I've also considered getting a BA Certificate from UC Berkeley Extension. Are either of these worth deeply exploring?

I think the above should be a good start. I appreciate any input in advance on odds with current profile state and areas to improve on.

Thanks

Here are my 2 C.
I'd focus on two parts here: GPA and Extra-curricular.
GPA is done, no change in that. So, of course, if you take a few courses or a Master's degree, and if you do well, it will help. Key here is for you to do well, otherwise you are setting up a pattern.
Just because your GPA is low, doesn't mean a strike. Did it improve over the years at UG school or did they just kept going downhill - these issues matter too and you can highlight them, if they are in your favor, while applying.
In terms of volunteer work, I think there are two trends that can bring the profile up: continuity (shows commitment) and leadership (that includes people management, decisions and failures). It seems you have been part of a few activites, here and there. What drives to do those things? What is the underlying reason you chose to participate in that student government body or to teach those school kids? That answer, I think will give you edge when you build (from now till you apply) your profile, experience. And will help you write your application too.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderator:
Darden and UNC Moderator
102 posts