Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Technology
GRE 1: Q165 V162
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 3.89
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Calling all MIT LGO Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]
Kudos
GradQueen wrote:
djokovicwu wrote:
Quote:

PS: deposit was 3500$ non refundable. I even filled out the background check form and am going to attend the meet and greet in February.

PPS: I am not too happy that MIT didn't choose me at first.

Ok not to be too critical or anything... but are you really that hurt that you didn't get the first round of interview invites? You should just be happy that you got the interview overall!

Yes you are a strong candidate, I mean obviously because you got into Stanford for undergrad and MBA/MS, but top school applications can be a toss up and they may look for slightly different things.

Maybe the fact that you are already an alumni meant you had more favor at Stanford than you did for MIT LGO. Maybe MIT LGO's values in a candidate didn't exactly align with what Stanford did. Or maybe your application was read during the time of the day where an adcom just wasn't in the right mood. But regardless of what the factors were, again, a lot of people in your position would already be very, very happy.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am strongly inclined towards withdrawing from LGO as well, after speaking to some senior execs at work and having seen IME just did that. I was told by the admissions dept. that they'd appreciate if I decide by Jan 19th as that is the last date they shall invite people for interviews during the interview fest. After that if you get an invite they will schedule one-to-one. So I hope those 6 spots get filled up in the next few days.

I dont think I had any favor at Stanford for being alumini cz they don't like to bring back their own people unless they like them way too much. My academic counselor through undergrad encouraged me to go to another school for my MS.

I have learned one HUGE diff. between MIT and Stanford. MIT looks at a list of things holistically and you get in as long as you check in each of them to a certain extent whereas Stanford looks at the same list but instead of taking in people who check everything they look for what they call the 'WOW Factor' so people who fall short on one of the criteria but hit a major homerun on another usually get picked up by Stanford but not MIT. The place where I did have favor from Stanford is that I live and work in the bay area and would be funded by my employer if I keep my job. They like that A LOT. In my heart I believe GSB>>>>>>>>>>>>>Sloan for MBA and the MS degrees are on par.

The only things creating doubts in my mind over Stanford are 3 years vs 2 years (Summers are off at Stanford and not many good courses are offered to utilize them). And then more importantly, I'll be a Stanford BASc, MS, MBA (though many have told me that should not be a bad thing at all... )

That's a hard thing to decide. Seems like you have a pretty good idea of what you want to do.

It's nice they told you the 19th is the last day they send out interviews. Are those 6 spots people they are still deciding on inviting then? Or those that have declined? Just speculation here...

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Send PM
Hopeful2018 wrote:
GradQueen wrote:
djokovicwu wrote:
[quote]

PS: deposit was 3500$ non refundable. I even filled out the background check form and am going to attend the meet and greet in February.

Ok not to be too critical or anything... but are you really that hurt that you didn't get the first round of interview invites? You should just be happy that you got the interview overall!

Yes you are a strong candidate, I mean obviously because you got into Stanford for undergrad and MBA/MS, but top school applications can be a toss up and they may look for slightly different things.

Maybe the fact that you are already an alumni meant you had more favor at Stanford than you did for MIT LGO. Maybe MIT LGO's values in a candidate didn't exactly align with what Stanford did. Or maybe your application was read during the time of the day where an adcom just wasn't in the right mood. But regardless of what the factors were, again, a lot of people in your position would already be very, very happy.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am strongly inclined towards withdrawing from LGO as well, after speaking to some senior execs at work and having seen IME just did that. I was told by the admissions dept. that they'd appreciate if I decide by Jan 19th as that is the last date they shall invite people for interviews during the interview fest. After that if you get an invite they will schedule one-to-one. So I hope those 6 spots get filled up in the next few days.

I dont think I had any favor at Stanford for being alumini cz they don't like to bring back their own people unless they like them way too much. My academic counselor through undergrad encouraged me to go to another school for my MS.

I have learned one HUGE diff. between MIT and Stanford. MIT looks at a list of things holistically and you get in as long as you check in each of them to a certain extent whereas Stanford looks at the same list but instead of taking in people who check everything they look for what they call the 'WOW Factor' so people who fall short on one of the criteria but hit a major homerun on another usually get picked up by Stanford but not MIT. The place where I did have favor from Stanford is that I live and work in the bay area and would be funded by my employer if I keep my job. They like that A LOT. In my heart I believe GSB>>>>>>>>>>>>>Sloan for MBA and the MS degrees are on par.

The only things creating doubts in my mind over Stanford are 3 years vs 2 years (Summers are off at Stanford and not many good courses are offered to utilize them). And then more importantly, I'll be a Stanford BASc, MS, MBA (though many have told me that should not be a bad thing at all... )

That's a hard thing to decide. Seems like you have a pretty good idea of what you want to do.

It's nice they told you the 19th is the last day they send out interviews. Are those 6 spots people they are still deciding on inviting then? Or those that have declined? Just speculation here...

Posted from my mobile device [/quote]

I'd guess that they'll try to fill at least a few more of those spots before the 19th, just to give as many people a chance as possible. Looks like there's only 5 remaining spots now...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hopeful2018 wrote:
GradQueen wrote:
djokovicwu wrote:
[quote]

Posted from my mobile device [/quote]

I'd guess that they'll try to fill at least a few more of those spots before the 19th, just to give as many people a chance as possible. Looks like there's only 5 remaining spots now...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
Fellow LGO hopefuls - new to this thread, but love it already! I got an invite on Jan 8th, but would have to apply for visa etc. (which looks tough) to make it. Other option is Skype, which is of course, not ideal. My question is - does the Adcom usually invite international applicants for InterviewFest or directly for a Skype interview? Also any advice for the interview - would it be a con if I don't make it on campus? I'm worried about missing out on the opportunity to meet with so many people from the LGO community!
In the mean time, goodluck all! And happy 2017 :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
sbuxkid wrote:
Fellow LGO hopefuls - new to this thread, but love it already! I got an invite on Jan 8th, but would have to apply for visa etc. (which looks tough) to make it. Other option is Skype, which is of course, not ideal. My question is - does the Adcom usually invite international applicants for InterviewFest or directly for a Skype interview? Also any advice for the interview - would it be a con if I don't make it on campus? I'm worried about missing out on the opportunity to meet with so many people from the LGO community!
In the mean time, goodluck all! And happy 2017 :)

Hey sbuxkid - Congratulations on the interview invite! I'm from the US but currently based outside the US for work and cannot make it to InterviewFest. I think that all people invited to interview are given the opportunity to sign up for InterviewFest (but I could be wrong). I'm doing a Skype interview and did ask the Adcom if they would recommend that I get in touch with any additional people because I'll be missing out on the weekend and the Adcom member said that we are not at any disadvantage doing a Skype interview. The extra stuff is meant to be purely social and is not a "leg up" in the admissions office. Sign up for the Skype interview and try not to worry - congrats again! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks ChemEng2013! That's a relief - knowing that missing out on the extra events won't be a factor in final decisions. I guess I've just been paranoid because I've heard LGO doesn't admit that many international students to begin with. Goodluck on your interview - I'll try not to worry. Oh, and congratulations :) hope the interview goes well!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Concentration: Technology
GRE 1: Q165 V162
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
GradQueen wrote:
djokovicwu wrote:
Quote:

So basically you feel like the reason MIT did not give you an interview invite the 1st chance that they could (even though you eventually got one only a few days later) is because your profile was not well rounded enough but you had something really hitting the home run? You should just email the adcoms directly to ask :P

In my opinion, your Stanford choice seems right not because of your interpretations of prestige, but because of the financial side due to your employer paying and its a better culture match.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
djokovicwu wrote:
So basically you feel like the reason MIT did not give you an interview invite the 1st chance that they could (even though you eventually got one only a few days later) is because your profile was not well rounded enough but you had something really hitting the home run? You should just email the adcoms directly to ask :P

In my opinion, your Stanford choice seems right not because of your interpretations of prestige, but because of the financial side due to your employer paying and its a better culture match.

I know my strengths and where I stand out, but one place I fall short is the length of work experience after taking my degree (even though I took 3 years off to work before my final semester, MIT does not count it). I did ask the adcom and they answered quite diplomatically that they have many applicants with amazing apps and there are way too many variables to pin point one factor why I was not asked to interview on the first day itself.

I am glad LGO adcom liked me enough in the end to invite me eventually but Stanford gave me an early decision which is exceptional. And as for my "interpretations of prestige", hell yeah I think Stanford's MBA is wayyyyyyy better than Sloan's in every single aspect, while I have said multiple times, engineering is ON PAR.
BUT, if it were the only factor, I'd have decided by now. If MBA were my main priority also I'd have decided, but I am more focussed on the engineering aspect. I will take a decision by Monday morning. ✌?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
GradQueen wrote:
djokovicwu wrote:

I know my strengths and where I stand out, but one place I fall short is the length of work experience after taking my degree (even though I took 3 years off to work before my final semester, MIT does not count it). I did ask the adcom and they answered quite diplomatically that they have many applicants with amazing apps and there are way too many variables to pin point one factor why I was not asked to interview on the first day itself.

I am glad LGO adcom liked me enough in the end to invite me eventually but Stanford gave me an early decision which is exceptional. And as for my "interpretations of prestige", hell yeah I think Stanford's MBA is wayyyyyyy better than Sloan's in every single aspect, while I have said multiple times, engineering is ON PAR.
BUT, if it were the only factor, I'd have decided by now. If MBA were my main priority also I'd have decided, but I am more focussed on the engineering aspect. I will take a decision by Monday morning. ✌?

I hope whatever you choose works out well for you. You have some great experience, and will make a good addition to either school. Wish you the best in your decision and in your schooling. :)

What partner companies are you guys wanting to work with if you get accepted?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
I've probably narrowed it down to about five so far - I have an general idea of what "area" I want to work in, but a lot of companies would satisfy that, so I'll likely need to do a bit more research first. I'm thinking ABB, Boeing, Amgen, Li & Fung, Sanofi. I was worried they wanted us to have a specific choice already - I was talking to one of the students and she said if you just have one or two sentences about why the company/companies you chose might be a good fit, that's really enough.

Where is everyone based out of currently? Ready for some Boston winters if we get in?
Tip from a former Boston gal - DO NOT live across the river from MIT if it can be avoided because waiting for the bus in the middle of winter there is NOT fun.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
I'm based out of Utah. Might be a little rougher there with the humidity than here, but I'm ready for the challenge. :)

I'm not sure which ones I want to work with. I have a few things I want out of the experience, but not a specific one yet.

Did you not take the T as transportation? Did you live in downtown Boston?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Hopeful2018 wrote:
I'm based out of Utah. Might be a little rougher there with the humidity than here, but I'm ready for the challenge. :)

I'm not sure which ones I want to work with. I have a few things I want out of the experience, but not a specific one yet.

Did you not take the T as transportation? Did you live in downtown Boston?

I was actually an MIT undergrad and lived on campus. However, most of the students who don't live on campus tend to live directly across the river (only really near Green Line stops) or in the Central Square to Harvard area - it's more convenient to take the bus if you live in one of those places, as the 1-bus travels down Mass Ave.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hopeful2018 wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that :/

So you interviewed last year? Any advice for those of us who will be interviewing in the coming weeks? What should we expect? Any guidance you can offer would be much appreciated.

The interview is pretty straightforward and stress free. They'll ask you about things you've done and try to understand why -
1. When did you fail, what led to that failure?
2. Tell us about a time you didn't get along with your team
3. Tell us about a time when you did something that was extraordinary. Do you wish you'd done better there?

Secondly, why LGO?
1. Tell us why you want to come to this program.
2. Which partner companies would you like to work with.

Overall, I think LGO expects you to make a case that LGO is THE program for you. I think I got a little nervous and fluffed that part. Ok, very nervous and fluffed that part. Most importantly, remain calm - at this stage they want to keep you. You just have to give them a reason to. All the best, hope that helps[/quote]

This is VERY useful information. I'm sorry to hear you didn't get an interview this year. :/ Are you trying again next year, or are you going to a different program?[/quote]

I do not believe that I will wait another year. At this point, spending another year does not make sense. Especially given that I don't know what went wrong. I believe my profile this year was much improved compared to last year, so not getting an interview means one of two things - either the applicant pool has gotten way too competitive for someone like me (there are some major gaps in my profile) or that last year they saw something that convinced them that I would be a poor addition.

In either case, I don't think it makes sense to wait in the absence of any feedback.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
GradQueen From what you say, the Stanford program does seem like your thing - mostly because the biggest con (lack of structure) - is something that you could turn to your advantage by customising the program.
However, there is the tiniest possibility that I'm biased and simply am hoping against hope for another spot to open up.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
harshadrane wrote:
Hopeful2018 wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that :/

So you interviewed last year? Any advice for those of us who will be interviewing in the coming weeks? What should we expect? Any guidance you can offer would be much appreciated.

The interview is pretty straightforward and stress free. They'll ask you about things you've done and try to understand why -
1. When did you fail, what led to that failure?
2. Tell us about a time you didn't get along with your team
3. Tell us about a time when you did something that was extraordinary. Do you wish you'd done better there?

Secondly, why LGO?
1. Tell us why you want to come to this program.
2. Which partner companies would you like to work with.

Overall, I think LGO expects you to make a case that LGO is THE program for you. I think I got a little nervous and fluffed that part. Ok, very nervous and fluffed that part. Most importantly, remain calm - at this stage they want to keep you. You just have to give them a reason to. All the best, hope that helps

This is VERY useful information. I'm sorry to hear you didn't get an interview this year. :/ Are you trying again next year, or are you going to a different program?[/quote]

I do not believe that I will wait another year. At this point, spending another year does not make sense. Especially given that I don't know what went wrong. I believe my profile this year was much improved compared to last year, so not getting an interview means one of two things - either the applicant pool has gotten way too competitive for someone like me (there are some major gaps in my profile) or that last year they saw something that convinced them that I would be a poor addition.

In either case, I don't think it makes sense to wait in the absence of any feedback.[/quote]

There are still 5 unclaimed interview slots so don't lose hope yet!

If I may ask, what are the major gaps in your profile to which you're referring?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ADC4 wrote:
There are still 5 unclaimed interview slots so don't lose hope yet!

If I may ask, what are the major gaps in your profile to which you're referring?

I don't think anymore individuals shall receive interviews for the Interview Fest. Which is why I am considering keeping my spot. What's the point in withdrawing if they don't invite more people to interview? If any of the remaining spots are filled up, I will withdraw my application immediately cz I am pretty much sure about stanford (let's say 99%). Although based on how people do in the interview fest, some people are invited to interview in February.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Sustainability
Send PM
Gradqueen - what are your reasons for thinking that no one else will receive further invites for the LGO InterviewFest? Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  10   11   12   13   14   15   16  ...  34   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts