Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Grammatical/Rhetorical Constructionx   Pronounsx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3284 [439]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [95]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3224 [51]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [39]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine ant has [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
rma26 wrote:
daagh GMATNinja carcass Sorry for tagging.
Can anyone tell me how option D is correct? The correct idiom is "consider A B". But it uses consider A to be B!

Plz give kudos!

No need to apologize for the tagging! As long as you're being reasonable about it, it's a totally legit way to get our attention. :)

Here comes some heresy: I don't ever really see idioms as absolute rules. (A long, unpopular rant about idioms can be found here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 41848.html) Sure, there are a few (older) official questions that feature "considered" without the "to be" -- but I'm not shocked that a counterexample appeared in OG 2017. Outside of the GMAT, I'm not sure that you'll find many grammar experts or editors who actually believe that "considered to be" is always wrong.

More importantly: you have no choice at all. "Considered... to be" appears in all five answer choices. So they've clearly made it a non-issue, and you definitely need to focus on other things, like the pronouns and the "due to", for example.

I'll let you enjoy the question from here, but let us know if you have more questions about this one!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [21]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine ant has [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
pikolo2510 wrote:
Hey GMATNinja egmat

I eliminated A,C and E because we need a plural verb for the word "struggles"

But I was torn between B and C because of the word "its" in the non-underlined part. Isn't "its" referring back to the "ants"?
Can you help me understand the usage of "its" (in this sentence) in the non-underlined part?

Ooh, interesting question. The tricky thing here is that "species" can be plural or singular -- and in this case ("...spread of this species in its native Argentina"), we know that "species" is singular, since it's preceded by the singular article "this." So "its" just refers back to "species." No problem there at all.

Quote:
(B) due to its being so genetically similar the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit

But for whatever it's worth, there are plenty of other problems with (B), if that was the answer choice that tempted you. "Due to" can only modify a noun, not a verb -- and in (B), it looks like "due to its being so genetically similar" is trying to modify the verb phrase "the ant considers". And that doesn't work.

Also, it's awfully awkward to say "its being." "Being" is apparently a gerund here, and it is preceded by the possessive pronoun "its." I don't understand how it makes sense for something ("the ant", presumably) to possess "being." (More on the use of "being" in this long rant.) And we also don't know what, exactly, the ant is genetically similar to. And it doesn't make sense to say that "all of its fellows [plural!] are a close relative [singular!]."

So even if you weren't super-certain about the "its native Argentina" in (D), the hope is that you'd hesitate -- for plenty of other reasons -- before picking (B).

I hope this helps!
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [4]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
jerrywu wrote:
In California, a lack of genetic variation in the Argentine ant has allowed the species to spread widely; due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits the spread of this species in its native Argentina.

(A) due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits

(B) due to its being so genetically similar the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit

(C) because it is so genetically similar, the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits

(D) because they are so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be close relatives and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit

(E) because of being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that because Argentine ants are so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be close relatives and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit the spread of this species in its native Argentina.

Concepts tested here: Subject-Verb Agreement + Meaning + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• “being” is only to be used when it is part of a noun phrase or represents the passive continuous verb tense; the use of passive continuous must be justified in the context.

A: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural verb "struggles" with the singular verb "limits". Further, Option A alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "consider all their fellows to be a close relative"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that the Argentine ants consider all their fellows to collectively be a singular close relative; the intended meaning is that the Argentine ants consider each of their fellows an individual close relation. Additionally, Option A is awkward and needlessly wordy due to its use of the word "being"; please remember, “being” is only to be used when it is part of a noun phrase or represents the passive continuous verb tense; the use of passive continuous must be justified in the context.

B: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the clause "the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative"; the construction of this phrase illogically implies that the species the Argentine Ant considers all its fellows a singular close relative; the intended meaning is that all individual Argentine ants consider all their fellows an individual close relation. Additionally, Option B is awkward and needlessly wordy due to its use of the word "being"; please remember, “being” is only to be used when it is part of a noun phrase or represents the passive continuous verb tense; the use of passive continuous must be justified in the context.

C: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural verb "struggles" with the singular verb "limits". Further, Option C alters the meaning of the sentence through the clause "the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative"; the construction of this phrase illogically implies that the species the Argentine Ant considers all its fellows a singular close relative; the intended meaning is that all individual Argentine ants consider all their fellows an individual close relation.

D: Correct. This answer choice correctly refers to the plural verb "struggles" with the plural verb "limit". Further, Option D uses the clause "the ants consider all their fellows to be close relatives", conveying the intended meaning - that all individual Argentine ants consider all their fellows an individual close relation. Additionally, Option D is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

E: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural verb "struggles" with the singular verb "limits". Further, Option E alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "consider all their fellows to be a close relative"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that the Argentine ants consider all their fellows to collectively be a singular close relative; the intended meaning is that the Argentine ants consider each of their fellows an individual close relation. Additionally, Option E is awkward and needlessly wordy due to its use of the word "being"; please remember, “being” is only to be used when it is part of a noun phrase or represents the passive continuous verb tense; the use of passive continuous must be justified in the context.

Hence, D is the best answer choice.

To understand the use of "Being" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [11]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Clear D.
A) due to their being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits - SV agreement. stuggles - that limits , to be (not good on the GMAT)
B) due to its being so genetically similar the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit - genetically simillar to what?
C) because it is so genetically similar, the ant considers all its fellows to be a close relative and thus does not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits - genetically simillar to what?
D) because they are so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be close relatives and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limit - CORRECT : genetically similar to one another, they - the ants, struggles - that limit
E) because of being so genetically similar to one another, the ants consider all their fellows to be a close relative and thus do not engage in the kind of fierce intercolony struggles that limits - WRONG. S-V agreement : fellows - close relative, to be (not good on the GMAT)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [9]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
This is a good question, because one can learn the psyche of GMAT through this. Is this a GPREP question? If it is so, it seals any doubt that we have regarding the use of ‘consider to be’ as an authenticated idiom. If GPREP prefers to use ‘consider to be’ in all the five choices or even in its OA, then we must take it. However, who can confirm, that this is indeed a GPREP or official question? ‘Outside GMAT domain, ‘consider to be’ is accepted all over the world, but that may be irrelevant to us in GMAT.

Therefore, D springs to life once again. In B, the version drops out the phrase ‘to one another’ which is essential to point out that the comparison is extended to all the ants in Argentina and not limited to two of them or two species of them.

This wobbly question changes track often from singular in the beginning to plural in the middle and then back to singular in the end. If it is a genuine GPREP or official question, it is a beautiful one. If not, it is a dubious one.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 199 [11]
Given Kudos: 176
GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
Kudos