Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [0]
Send PM
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanks man
i learned a lot from you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
i took my first GmatPrep this afternoon and was so frustrated at the score. I guess I was too spoiled by my Kaplan CAT scores. Thanks for sharing your story with us, it really motivates me by a whole lot :-D
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
[#permalink]
"I found a good document from the internet that talks about AWA structures and timing, and comes with the standard templates. "

can you elaborate on this?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
This is what I used [#permalink]
Here is what I used:
www. 800 score.com/awac.html

I just checked the above link and they have trimmed down most of the online materials (wanted people to use their service). Fortunately I have cut-and-pasted and saved their materials. If you are interested feel free to PM me so I can send those to you.

I also have a document to discuss logical fallacies (which I found useful in AWA, CR and real life), just google "logical fallacies".[/url]
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: This is what I used [#permalink]
nbooky wrote:
Here is what I used:
www. 800 score.com/awac.html

I just checked the above link and they have trimmed down most of the online materials (wanted people to use their service). Fortunately I have cut-and-pasted and saved their materials. If you are interested feel free to PM me so I can send those to you.

I also have a document to discuss logical fallacies (which I found useful in AWA, CR and real life), just google "logical fallacies".[/url]

:pray
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey thanks for this encouraging story..can u please mail me (ashishsharma04@yahoo.co.in) the AWA doc that u used for your preparations..it would be of great help...thanks....ashish
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Send PM
Re: My journey from 580 to 710 – long post [#permalink]
[quote="nbooky"]Since I am running out of practice test questions, I downloaded SC1000 and CR1000 and used them as my primary exercises. I tracked the hit rate (as I always did in the past) and read explanations from this site to understand why I did not eliminate the wrong choice (note that I am not saying “why I did not picked the right choiceâ€
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Just checked my spreadsheet...

I compute two metrics for hit-percentage:
1. Compute hit-percentage for every "test", each test has 20 questions - let's call this 20HIT
2. Compute hit-percentage for every 100 questions (or every 5 tests) - let's call this 100HIT

I only completed 480 questions from SC1000.

1st 100 questions:
20HIT range from 50% to 65%
100HIT is 61%

2nd 100 questions:
20HIT range from 55% to 65%
100HIT is 60%

3rd 100 questions:
20HIT range from 55% to 75%
100HIT is 64%

4th 100 questions:
20HIT range from 65% to 85%
100HIT is 71%

Last 80 questions:
20HIT range from 65% to 90%
100HIT is 59%

In general the variation is still high between test sets. However, you can see both the low- and high- end ranges are both improving.

Note that I cut-and-paste all my wrong questions to a separate Word file and re-do those questions. My hit rate is approximately 50% for re-do questions (I make sure I don't remember the answers).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
nbooky wrote:
In general the variation is still high between test sets. However, you can see both the low- and high- end ranges are both improving.

Interesting... thank you for sharing. It seems like you had an outstanding verbal day on your test. Your practice scores and hit rate on the 1000 SC do not indicate that you would have reached a 40 on the actual exam. Congrats on such an improvement!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
Interesting... thank you for sharing. It seems like you had an outstanding verbal day on your test. Your practice scores and hit rate on the 1000 SC do not indicate that you would have reached a 40 on the actual exam. Congrats on such an improvement!

Note that in the actual test a candidate should have consistently-good hit rate across all question types (CR, SC and RC). This is because the questions will come in mixed order. My CR and RC hit rate are usually high (in 90% range).

Looking back, the reason of low verbal score in my initial attempts was primarily due to SC (hit rate was below 50%). I did not really focus on SC until the last attempt. The improved hit rate in SC is possibly the biggest factor to pull a higher score in the verbal section. From my observation, the first couple questions in verbal section are usually SC and CR, so possibly I got a lot of initial SC questions wrong in the first attempts.

Looks like you are all good to go! Good luck on the exam!!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts