Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Subject Verb Agreementx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 414 [73]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [40]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [8]
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [5]
Send PM
Re: The themes that Rita Dove explores in her poetry is universal, encompa [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
A. is universal, encompassing much of the human condition while occasionally she deals – Subject Verb Agreement - Eliminated
B. is universal, encompassing much of the human condition, also occasionally it deals – Subject verb Agreement - Eliminated
C. are universal, they encompass much of the human condition and occasionally deals
D. are universal, encompassing much of the human condition while occasionally dealing – Avoid ‘ing’ - Eliminated
E. are universal, they encompass much of the human condition, also occasionally are dealing

My thought here....
A, B - Subject Verb agreement and hence eliminated.

Left with C,D & E
D - Eliminated too many 'ings'. GMAT people don't like them.

Left with C & E
E - I find it too wordy and what points to the wrong answer is '......also occasionally are dealing...'

Hence my answer is "C"
What say everyone any changes to the process followed??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: The themes that Rita Dove explores in her poetry is universal, encompa [#permalink]
Kudos
POE:
+ Is/Are --> Are: Themes ...are --> C,D,E left.
+ Parallelism with "encompassing.." & "dealing.." --> D left.
D: CORRECT.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3801 [4]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
goodyear2013 wrote:
The themes that Rita Dove explores in her poetry is universal, encompassing much of the human condition while occasionally deals with racial issues.

A. is universal, encompassing much of the human condition while occasionally deals

B. is universal, encompassing much of the human condition, also occasionally it deals

C. are universal, they encompass much of the human condition and occasionally deals

D. are universal, encompassing much of the human condition while occasionally dealing

E. are universal, they encompass much of the human condition, also occasionally are dealing
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2333 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
Kudos
Balvinder wrote:
The themes that Rita Dove explores in her poetry is universal, encompassing much of the human condition while occasionally she deals with racial issues.

A. is universal, encompassing much of the human condition while occasionally she deals
B. is universal, encompassing much of the human condition, also occasionally it deals
D. are universal, encompassing much of the human condition while occasionally dealing

The clear winner here is D

The subject of the sentence is "themes" which is plural so keeping that in mind lets analyse the options
A. is universal, encompassing much of the human condition while occasionally she deals
WRONG:- SV agreement

WRONG:- SV agreement

WRONG:- A nasty comma splice, also called a run on. SV agreement (deals)

CORRECT:- perfect composition

E. are universal, they encompass much of the human condition, also occasionally are dealing[/quote]
WRONG:- A nasty comma splice, also called a run on. No Parallelism (encompass & dealing are not parallel)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 671 [2]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bookmarks
The themes that Rita Dove explores in her poetry is universal, encompassing much of the human condition while occasionally she deals with racial issues.

Issues: Subject/Verb Agreement | Modifier | Parallelism

Analysis:
1. "is universal" is referring to the themes. Hence, the correct verb is "are" to match with the number of the subject (which is plural)
2. For the sentence, we need to use ", verb-ing" modifier to modify "themes are universal"
3. The verb following "while" should have parallel form to "encompassing". [..., encompassing... while (occasionally) dealing...]

I have highlighted the errors in options below:

- S/V issue (this alone should be enough for eliminating this option)
- Parallelism issue

- S/V issue (this alone should be enough for eliminating this option)
- Parallelism issue

C. are universal, they encompass much of the human condition and occasionally
deals
- Comma splice or sentence run on
- they... deals.. : S/V issue

- Comma splice or sentence run on
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
VeritasKarishma generis AjiteshArun GMATNinjaTwo

Although I got this correct, I want to validate my understanding of coma+verb-ing modifier.

Quote:

Quote:

The themes
that Rita Dove explores in her poetry
are universal, encompassing much of the human condition while occasionally dealing with racial issues.

The two coma+verb-ing modifiers encompassing and dealing connected parallel by while (though I have
seen more usage of AND to connect parallel lists) modify themes and not Rita Dove.

Intended meaning:

RD explores universal themes in her poetry by encompassing much of the human condition and occasionally dealing with racial issues.

It is OK for a verb-ing modifier to JUMP over earlier independent clause: Rita Dove explores in her poetry
to modify themes. Am I correct since coma+verb-ing must answer HOW / WHY to modify preceding subject of preceding clause?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
VeritasKarishma generis AjiteshArun GMATNinjaTwo

Although I got this correct, I want to validate my understanding of coma+verb-ing modifier.

Quote:

Quote:

The themes
that Rita Dove explores in her poetry
are universal, encompassing much of the human condition while occasionally dealing with racial issues.

The two coma+verb-ing modifiers encompassing and dealing connected parallel by while (though I have
seen more usage of AND to connect parallel lists) modify themes and not Rita Dove.

Intended meaning:

RD explores universal themes in her poetry by encompassing much of the human condition and occasionally dealing with racial issues.

It is OK for a verb-ing modifier to JUMP over earlier independent clause: Rita Dove explores in her poetry
to modify themes. Am I correct since coma+verb-ing must answer HOW / WHY to modify preceding subject of preceding clause?

"that Rita Dove ..." is a 'that' modifier which can be ignored.

The structure of the sentence is this:

The themes are universal, encompassing ... while occasionally dealing ...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 138
Send PM
If the C option was "are universal, they encompass much of the human condition and occasionally DEAL", would it be correct?
Also, have I used the correct form of "if-then" in the above sentence? :P

Bunuel VeritasKarishma MikeScarn GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo hazelnut generis
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
himanshurajawat wrote:
If the C option was "are universal, they encompass much of the human condition and occasionally DEAL", would it be correct?
Also, have I used the correct form of "if-then" in the above sentence? :P

Bunuel VeritasKarishma MikeScarn GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo hazelnut generis
Hi himanshurajawat,

That would fix the subject-verb agreement problem, but we'd still end up with

The themes that Rita Dove explores in her poetry are universal
they encompass much of the human condition and occasionally deal with racial issues.

This option uses a comma to join two independent clauses. That leads to a comma splice (error).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
AjiteshArun can you please explain why C and E are comma splice errors? “They’ can play the role of noun modifier modifying noun themes. That is a separate issue that such usage would slightly drift away the actual meaning but I want to understand the comma splice error in this.
Thanks
Your follower :)

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
twister68 wrote:
AjiteshArun can you please explain why C and E are comma splice errors? “They’ can play the role of noun modifier modifying noun themes. That is a separate issue that such usage would slightly drift away the actual meaning but I want to understand the comma splice error in this.
Thanks
Your follower :)
Hi twister68,

A good way to check whether we're looking at an independent clause is to check whether that structure could stand alone as a sentence. Let's take a look at option C again:

The themes that Rita Dove explores in her poetry are universal, they encompass much of the human condition and occasionally deals with racial issues.

We'd be happy with both (1) and (2) below (ignore the subject-verb agreement error):
1. The themes that Rita Dove explores in her poetry are universal.
2. They encompass much of the human condition and occasionally deals with racial issues.

Some test takers assume that the second clause is not independent because the they in (2) refers to the themes that... in (1). To avoid making that mistake, we should keep in mind that we are looking at only structure here.

A comma splice occurs when a comma is used to join two independent clauses, and that is exactly what option C does (IC , IC). :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
AjiteshArun I completely agree that its an independent clause and that is not questionable. My point is that a noun modifier itself can also be an Independent clause. If “they” here is playing the role of noun modifier, then why are we categorizing this in comma splice. Or is it that noun modifier itself cannot be an IC

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos