Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:27 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 719 [171]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63648 [31]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [29]
Given Kudos: 405
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 3: 760 Q49 V46
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Re: Editorial: The roof of Northtown Council’s equipment-storage building [#permalink]
jet1445 wrote:
Q21:
Editorial: The roof of Northtown Council’s equipment-storage building collapsed under the weight of last week’s heavy snowfall. The building was constructed recently and met local building-safety codes in every particular, except that the nails used for attaching roof supports to the building’s columns were of a smaller size than the codes specify for this purpose. Clearly, this collapse exemplifies how even a single, apparently insignificant, departure from safety standards can have severe consequences.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the editorial’s argument?

A. The only other buildings whose roofs collapsed from the weight of the snowfall were older buildings constructed according to less exacting standards than those in the safety codes.
B. Because of the particular location of the equipment-storage building, the weight of snow on its roof was greater than the maximum weight allowed for in the safety codes.
C. Because the equipment-storage building was not intended for human occupation, some safety-code provisions that would have applied to an office building did not apply to it.
D. The columns of the building were no stronger than the building-safety codes required for such a building.
E. Because the equipment-storage building was where the council kept snow-removal equipment, the building was almost completely empty when the roof collapsed.

Hi

I think "E" should be the answer not "A".

The question stress more on the insignificant safety standards. Choice "A" talks about the older building that did not follow all the safety standards. First they are the old buildings, and second they might have ignored the significant safety standards as well. They were bound to collapse under these circumstances.

Answer choice "E" states that the building was empty and all safety standards were met except the most insignificant one. This clearly means that even the most insignificant safety standards can not be ignored.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [3]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Re: Editorial: The roof of Northtown Council’s equipment-storage building [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
ravi11 wrote:
Hi

I think "E" should be the answer not "A".

The question stress more on the insignificant safety standards. Choice "A" talks about the older building that did not follow all the safety standards. First they are the old buildings, and second they might have ignored the significant safety standards as well. They were bound to collapse under these circumstances.

Answer choice "E" states that the building was empty and all safety standards were met except the most insignificant one. This clearly means that even the most insignificant safety standards can not be ignored.

The argument concluded that the collapse can lead to severe consequences. It is based on the assumption that the building collapsed because of that small nail difference.

We need to strengthen this and say yes this was the only building that had not followed some standards and hence, collapsed.

Option A is clearly saying only this building out of those based on new standards collapsed and those old building that did not follow the standards collapsed. Hence, correct.

Option E is saying something about the emptiness of the building. We are nowhere given whether it does matter to have someone or something inside the building during its collapse. So, if a building has to collapse, it will collapse no matter someone/something is there. Also, this point is nowhere relating the collapse to the standards. Hence, 100% incorrect. I tried decoding your point about E, but unfortunately it is highly difficult for me to decode what you are saying about option E.

Let me know in case of any confusion.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29890 [4]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
jet1445 wrote:
Editorial: The roof of Northtown Council’s equipment-storage building collapsed under the weight of last week’s heavy snowfall. The building was constructed recently and met local building-safety codes in every particular, except that the nails used for attaching roof supports to the building’s columns were of a smaller size than the codes specify for this purpose. Clearly, this collapse exemplifies how even a single, apparently insignificant, departure from safety standards can have severe consequences.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the editorial’s argument?

A. The only other buildings whose roofs collapsed from the weight of the snowfall were older buildings constructed according to less exacting standards than those in the safety codes.

B. Because of the particular location of the equipment-storage building, the weight of snow on its roof was greater than the maximum weight allowed for in the safety codes.

C. Because the equipment-storage building was not intended for human occupation, some safety-code provisions that would have applied to an office building did not apply to it.

D. The columns of the building were no stronger than the building-safety codes required for such a building.

E. Because the equipment-storage building was where the council kept snow-removal equipment, the building was almost completely empty when the roof collapsed.

PREMISE: roof collapsed under heavy snowfall.
PREMISE: roof met codes EXCEPT for nail size
CONCLUSION: a small departure from standards can have severe consequences.

We're looking for a premise that supports the conclusion that a small departure from standards can have severe consequences.
As we examine each answer choice, we must be sure to remind ourselves of the argument's conclusion....

I like it. It certainly strengthens the conclusion that a small departure from standards can have severe consequences.

This weakens the conclusion, since the weight of the snow went beyond safety codes. In other words, the collapse was NOT due to a small departure from standards can have severe consequences.

This does not affect the conclusion that a small departure from standards can have severe consequences.

This does not affect the conclusion that a small departure from standards can have severe consequences.

Answer: A

Cheers,
Brent
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
Send PM
I do not really understand why A) supports the argument, I can't see the connection.

Thank you!
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma pikolo2510 nightblade354 generis

Can you please validate my PoE:

Quote:
A. The only other buildings whose roofs collapsed from the weight of the snowfall were older buildings constructed according to less exacting standards than those (ie buildings constructed) in the (earlier) safety codes.

I have added my interpretation and underlined words which according to me is a very strong language used by author to prove his point that
small deviations from safety standards can result in severe consequences ie building collapse.

Quote:

Buildings' columns (same level as) safety codes ??
Nope this is not what I need to strengthen the conclusion. I need to assign a higher priority level to safety codes
to strengthen this argument.
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5734 [2]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma pikolo2510 nightblade354 generis

Can you please validate my PoE:

Quote:
A. The only other buildings whose roofs collapsed from the weight of the snowfall were older buildings constructed according to less exacting standards than those (ie buildings constructed) in the (earlier) safety codes.

I have added my interpretation and underlined words which according to me is a very strong language used by author to prove his point that
small deviations from safety standards can result in severe consequences ie building collapse.

Quote:

Buildings' columns (same level as) safety codes ??
Nope this is not what I need to strengthen the conclusion. I need to assign a higher priority level to safety codes
to strengthen this argument.

Hi adkikani,

Your reasoning is close with (D). The reason (D) doesn't work is because it says no stronger, but does mean that they are weaker? Nope. Therefore, we have no idea whether this violates the conclusion that a single diversion from safety standards can cause issues. They could be just as strong, and this would then defeat our conclusion.

Does this help?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Hi mikemcgarry, GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja, MagooshExpert Carolyn,
sayantanc2
VeritasPrepKarishma

anyone can elaborate A and D, although many discusses here, i am still confused.
as per A, Does A state that older is one explanation of the collapse. those buildings were older, according to a less exactly standard. So IMO, A weakens the conclusion.
As per D, I an mot absolutely understand "no stronger than", Does it mean weaker? or as strong as ...?
if the columns are as strong as the building-safety codes required for such a building, then i think D strengthen
if the columns are weaker than the building-safety codes required for such a building, then i think D weaken.

Please help...
hope this post won't be sunk into the sea of posts.

Have a nice day
>_~
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5734 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:
sayantanc2
VeritasPrepKarishma

anyone can elaborate A and D, although many discusses here, i am still confused.
as per A, Does A state that older is one explanation of the collapse. those buildings were older, according to a less exactly standard. So IMO, A weakens the conclusion.
As per D, I an mot absolutely understand "no stronger than", Does it mean weaker? or as strong as ...?
if the columns are as strong as the building-safety codes required for such a building, then i think D strengthen
if the columns are weaker than the building-safety codes required for such a building, then i think D weaken.

Please help...

Have a nice day
>_~

Hi zoezhuyan,

Your point about (D) is the reason we cannot use it. Because we can say it both strengthens and weakens the argument given its parameters, we cannot say it helps our case. Therefore, it cannot be the answer. (D) says it could be as strong, but it could be weaker. If it is as strong, this doesn't help us. We NEED it to be weaker, otherwise we cannot strengthen our conclusion.
To diagram: No stronger than means <= strength of the original object

Does this help?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
nightblade354 wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:
sayantanc2
VeritasPrepKarishma

Please help...

Have a nice day
>_~

Hi zoezhuyan,

Your point about (D) is the reason we cannot use it. Because we can say it both strengthens and weakens the argument given its parameters, we cannot say it helps our case. Therefore, it cannot be the answer. (D) says it could be as strong, but it could be weaker. If it is as strong, this doesn't help us. We NEED it to be weaker, otherwise we cannot strengthen our conclusion.

Does this help?

Thanks so much nightblade354
Because we can say it both strengthens and weakens the argument given its parameters, we cannot say it helps our case. would you please elaborate further, what is "helps out case" ? it does not mean strengthen?
We NEED it to be weaker, otherwise we cannot strengthen our conclusion.
we need it to be weaker? do not we strengthen? why we need it to be weaker?

No stronger than means two senarios , "as strong as" and "weaker" , right?

Thanks in advance.

have a lovely day
>_~
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5734 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:
nightblade354 wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:
sayantanc2
VeritasPrepKarishma

Please help...

Have a nice day
>_~

Hi zoezhuyan,

Does this help?

Thanks so much nightblade354
Because we can say it both strengthens and weakens the argument given its parameters, we cannot say it helps our case. would you please elaborate further, what is "helps out case" ? it does not mean strengthen?
We NEED it to be weaker, otherwise we cannot strengthen our conclusion.
we need it to be weaker? do not we strengthen? why we need it to be weaker?

No stronger than means two senarios , "as strong as" and "weaker" , right?

Thanks in advance.

have a lovely day
>_~

No stronger means "as strong as" OR "weaker", so you are close on that. The argument says that we want to strengthen the conclusion that a weakness can cause destruction. Because we do not know if the option will fall on "as strong as" or "weaker", we cannot say for sure if this helps our conclusion.

Is this clearer?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
nightblade354 wrote:
No stronger means "as strong as" OR "weaker", so you are close on that. The argument says that we want to strengthen the conclusion that a weakness can cause destruction. Because we do not know if the option will fall on "as strong as" or "weaker", we cannot say for sure if this helps our conclusion.

Is this clearer?

Thanks nightblade354, Now i got it.

additional, do you think A states the collapsed building are older building, implying that the age is another explanaiton?
I am not suspect the office answer, i absoutely understand OA is awlays correct. I donlt understand what's wrong with my interpretation.

would you please point out ?

Thanks in advance
Have a nice day
>_~
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5734 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:
nightblade354 wrote:

Is this clearer?

Thanks nightblade354, Now i got it.

additional, do you think A states the collapsed building are older building, implying that the age is another explanaiton?
I am not suspect the office answer, i absoutely understand OA is awlays correct. I donlt understand what's wrong with my interpretation.

would you please point out ?

Thanks in advance
Have a nice day
>_~

I think your issue is that you're not focusing on the conclusion. Here is the conclusion: "Clearly, this collapse exemplifies how even a single, apparently insignificant, departure from safety standards can have severe consequences". Given this, does age do anything to our argument? Nope. It weakens our argument, which isn't the goal. Our goal is to strengthen.

Does this help?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63648 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM