Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 795 [19]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 535 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6042 [0]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Re: A garden store purchased a number of shovels and a number of rakes. If [#permalink]
isn't A sufficient for this question/

9X + 14Y / X + Y we have to find this out given X / Y = 2/3
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618961 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Re: A garden store purchased a number of shovels and a number of rakes. If [#permalink]
Expert Reply
fozzzy wrote:
A garden store purchased a number of shovels and a number of rakes. If the cost of each shovel was $14 and the cost of each rakes was $9, what was the total cost of the shovels and rakes purchased by the store?

(1) The ratio of the number of shovels to the number of rakes purchased by the store was 2 to 3
(2) The total number of shovels and rakes purchased by the store was 50.

isn't A sufficient for this question/

9X + 14Y / X + Y we have to find this out given X / Y = 2/3

Consider this:

If shovels=2 and rakes=3, then the total cost is 2*14+3*9.
If shovels=4 and rakes=6, then the total cost is 4*14+6*9.

So, the first statement is not sufficient.

Hope it's clear.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [3]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi All,

Questions on the GMAT are always carefully worded, so you have to respect that level of detail and do the necessary work to get the answer to the question THAT IS ASKED. In DS questions, even with the same information, a difference in the wording of the question can lead to a different correct answer.

Here, we're given the price of each shovel ($14) and each rake ($9) and we're asked for the TOTAL COST of ALL the shovels and rakes purchased in the store.

To figure out TOTAL COST, we need to know the number of shovels and the number of rakes.

The math involved in solving this problem has already been explained by gmatblackbelt, so I won't rehash that here. Instead, consider how the answer changes when I just change the question.

What if the prompt asked: "Is the total cost of the shovels greater than the total cost of the rakes?" (Hint: the answer would NOT be C).
How about if it asked: "Is the combined cost of the shovels and rakes greater than $100?" (Hint: the answer is also NOT C.)

The math involved in most DS questions is not difficult, which is why DS questions aren't really there to test math skills. DS questions test you on a number of other skills that matter though, including organization, accuracy, attention-to-detail, thoroughness, the ability to PROVE that you've correct, etc. Don't let pride get in the way of picking up easy points on the GMAT - take the notes, do the necessary work and you can pick up all of these easy points.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3379 [1]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi All,

Questions on the GMAT are always carefully worded, so you have to respect that level of detail and do the necessary work to get the answer to the question THAT IS ASKED. In DS questions, even with the same information, a difference in the wording of the question can lead to a different correct answer.

Here, we're given the price of each shovel ($14) and each rake ($9) and we're asked for the TOTAL COST of ALL the shovels and rakes purchased in the store.

To figure out TOTAL COST, we need to know the number of shovels and the number of rakes.

The math involved in solving this problem has already been explained by gmatblackbelt, so I won't rehash that here. Instead, consider how the answer changes when I just change the question.

What if the prompt asked: "Is the total cost of the shovels greater than the total cost of the rakes?" (Hint: the answer would NOT be C).
How about if it asked: "Is the combined cost of the shovels and rakes greater than $100?" (Hint: the answer is also NOT C.)

The math involved in most DS questions is not difficult, which is why DS questions aren't really there to test math skills. DS questions test you on a number of other skills that matter though, including organization, accuracy, attention-to-detail, thoroughness, the ability to PROVE that you've correct, etc. Don't let pride get in the way of picking up easy points on the GMAT - take the notes, do the necessary work and you can pick up all of these easy points.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Great Insight Rich...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
I have question. What is GMAT trying to testing through such a simple question? My problem is, when I take my mocks, I waste time thinking if there's something I'm missing because the answer can't be this easy. Anyone else who feels the same? Or, any am I approaching this all wrong?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
ssmissiongmat wrote:
I have question. What is GMAT trying to testing through such a simple question? My problem is, when I take my mocks, I waste time thinking if there's something I'm missing because the answer can't be this easy. Anyone else who feels the same? Or, any am I approaching this all wrong?

You have partly answered the question. The GMAT is testing whether you are operating with a clear mind to arrive at the correct answer. If you find yourself spending too much time, then the GMAT will penalize you later when you will be unable to correctly answer other questions. The GMAT quantitative section is also a test of reasoning and testing abilities.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
blog wrote:
A garden store purchased a number of shovels and a number of rakes. If the cost of each shovel was $14 and the cost of each rakes was $9, what was the total cost of the shovels and rakes purchased by the store?

(1) The ratio of the number of shovels to the number of rakes purchased by the store was 2 to 3
(2) The total number of shovels and rakes purchased by the store was 50.

550 would be the cost of total content

Posted from my mobile device
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16598 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM