Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [40]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1510 [6]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [3]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: SCM, Strategy, General Management
Schools:Wharton,MIT, Tepper, Kelly,
 Q48  V26
WE 1: 7 years- Service Managament, poject Management, Business Consultant- Retail
Send PM
Re: Owner of JavaJoint: Over the past year, the coffee store has become a [#permalink]
Kudos
Owner of JavaJoint: Over the past year, the coffee store has become a daily hang-out for more and more teenagers. Many of our adult customers do not appear comfortable with this kind of crowd and some of them have told me that they will no longer stop here for a coffee drink. Since my goal is to maximize our revenue, I want you to discourage teenagers from coming here and start cultivating a more adult crowd.

Store manager: Are you sure? On average, .

The store manager responds to the owner by _____

questioning the veracity of owner’s evidence -- Not true as store manager is not denying the fact provided by Owner- incorrect

arguing that it would be difficult to implement the owner’s directive -- nowhere it was mentioned- incorrect

offering new evidence implying that the status quo is not incompatible with the owner’s goal ---means: staus quo(teenagers are coming more) is compatible with owners goal( maximize revenue) as "each teenager spends just as much as the average adult does, and we have far more new customers than we have lost over the past year"....correct

demonstrating that the average teenage customer is as profitable as the average adult customer -- stimulus mentioned spending of teenagers .not the profit -- incorrect

offering new evidence refuting that presented by the owner -- on the contrary, store manager accepts the fact provided by owner and provided news evidence status quo to maimize revenue - incorrect
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1547 [2]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
Re: Owner of JavaJoint: Over the past year, the coffee store has become a [#permalink]
Kudos
Nope, choice D is a trick. The argument stated the amount of money spent by children is as much as that spent by adults => It is about the Revenue, not the profit as choice D stated (because we did not know anything about the cost).

Choice C is more clear double negate "not incompatible" = compatible the revenue of 2 groups of customers.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Send PM
I chose C. My reasons:

(A) questioning the veracity of owner’s evidence
Nonsensical. He never questioned the veracity of the owner's evidence.

(B) arguing that it would be difficult to implement the owner’s directive
Nope

(D) demonstrating that the average teenage customer is as profitable as the average adult customer
He does say this. But that isn't really the conclusion.

(E) offering new evidence refuting that presented by the owner
He does offer new evidence. But I think this was less ideal than C

(C) offering new evidence implying that the status quo is not incompatible with the owner’s goal
This is the best choice. He does exactly this. He tells the owner that if the whole point is to realize a profit, this method won't go be an obstacle. If anything, it will augment the profit.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi,
I eliminated A,B and D but was confused between C & E. I chose E over C because I gave a thought that the store manager does not imply the status quo should exist, instead it should change and there should be more youngsters coming over to the coffee shop.

Please reply as to why is C correct and E wrong as I am unable to reason it out.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
manaliambhageria wrote:
Hi,
I eliminated A,B and D but was confused between C & E. I chose E over C because I gave a thought that the store manager does not imply the status quo should exist, instead it should change and there should be more youngsters coming over to the coffee shop.

Please reply as to why is C correct and E wrong as I am unable to reason it out.

Option C:
Status quo means the current condition. The current condition ( i.e. more teenagers coming in, and adults stopping to come ) is not incompatible with the owner’s goal (of making more profit). The new evidence shown is: teenagers spend as much as adults do, and there are more customers. Thus the profit has already increased, and they will continue to be higher than it was before such change, if the current situation prevails. Thus C is correct.
(Note: The term "maximize" may not be ideal.)

Option E: The pronoun "that" refers to evidence. The store manager does not refute the evidence (more teenagers coming in) that is provided by the owner, rather the manager agrees with it - he refutes the conclusion (profits will decrease) of the owner.
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Owner of JavaJoint: Over the past year, the coffee store has become a daily hang-out for more and more teenagers. Many of our adult customers do not appear comfortable with this kind of crowd and some of them have told me that they will no longer stop here for a coffee drink. Since my goal is to maximize our revenue, I want you to discourage teenagers from coming here and start cultivating a more adult crowd.

Store manager: Are you sure? On average, each teenager spends just as much as the average adult does, and we have far more new customers than we have lost over the past year.

(A) questioning the veracity of owner’s evidence -Incorrect
(B) arguing that it would be difficult to implement the owner’s directive -Incorrect
(C) offering new evidence implying that the status quo is not incompatible with the owner’s goal -Correct. The current state of affairs are exactly in line with the owner's goals i.e. increasing of revenue
(D) demonstrating that the average teenage customer is as profitable as the average adult customer -This is just one part of the response
(E) offering new evidence refuting that presented by the owner -Incorrect
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
GMAT 1: 610 Q44 V30
GMAT 2: 650 Q44 V35
GRE 1: Q160 V150
GPA: 3
WE:Advertising (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
At the gist if the argument, the owner's ultimate goal is to maximize revenue and he believes that by discouraging the teenagers and attracting adult folks would lead to the same.

The manager responds by stating the new fact that the teenagers spend as much as an adult does and in the past year the store gained more customers than it lost, that means the number of new customers(Teenagers) that the store gained is greater than the number of customers(adults) that it lost.

P.O.E -

(A) questioning the veracity of owner’s evidence - The manager never questioned the veracity of the owner's evidence. (Incorrect)
(B) arguing that it would be difficult to implement the owner’s directive - The manager said nothing about the implementation at all. (Incorrect)
(C) offering new evidence implying that the status quo is not incompatible with the owner’s goal - The store manager did offer new evidence and it did imply that the status quo(current situation) is still compatible with the owner's goal. (Correct)
(D) demonstrating that the average teenage customer is as profitable as the average adult customer. - The store manager did prove this by saying that the teenage customer spends as much as an adult does, but this is is just one part of the manager's claim, he also said that the store gained more customers in the past year than it lost. (Incorrect)
(E) offering new evidence refuting that presented by the owner. - The manager did offer new evidence but did not refute the ones presented by the owner. (Incorrect)
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618935 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
bepositive wrote:

Store manager: Are you sure? On average, each teenager spends just as much as the average adult does, and we have far more new customers than we have lost over the past year.

(A) questioning the veracity of owner’s evidence

(B) arguing that it would be difficult to implement the owner’s directive

(C) offering new evidence implying that the status quo is not incompatible with the owner’s goal

(D) demonstrating that the average teenage customer is as profitable as the average adult customer

(E) offering new evidence refuting that presented by the owner

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

The owner of the coffee store makes three statements citing evidence supporting his belief that things are not going well at his store: 1) the store has become a hangout for teenagers; 2) many of his adult customers do not appear comfortable; and 3) some of them have told him they will no longer frequent the store. He then states that his goal is to maximize his revenue and directs his store manager to discourage the teenagers from frequenting his store and to cultivate a more adult clientele. We can reasonably infer that the owner believes that his directive will help him achieve his goal of maximum revenue.

In response, the store manager makes no attempt to refute the manager’s three statements, but instead offers some new evidence which implies that following the owner’s directive may work against the owner’s goal of maximum revenue, further implying that the status quo may be indeed be compatible with that goal.

(A) The store manager makes no attempt to question the veracity of the statements of the owner. When the manager asks “Are you sure?” he is questioning the owner’s directive (or its effectiveness), not the veracity of the owner’s evidence.

(B) The implementation of the owner’s directive is not mentioned by the manager and is not relevant.

(C) CORRECT. By asserting that the average teenager spends just as much money as the average adult and that there are more new customers than former customers, the manager is presenting new evidence that implies that the current situation is actually helping the owner achieve his goal more than his directive would.

(D) The manager only states that the average teenager spends as much as the average adult; hence, he makes a claim as to the relative revenue generated by the average member of each group. He does not make any claim as to the relative profitability of the average member of each group.

(E) The new evidence that the manager presents neither contradicts nor refutes any of the evidence that the owner had previous presented.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts