Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Cause and Effectx   EXCEPTx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 406 [146]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 2: 760  Q50  V42
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 884 [19]
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 406 [0]
GMAT 2: 760  Q50  V42
Send PM
Re: A sudden increase in the production of elephant ivory artifacts on the [#permalink]
Cant recall which set but must be from 17 or 18 verbal set
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: A sudden increase in the production of elephant ivory artifacts on the [#permalink]
d it is. europe and knowledge of animals- doesnt provide a new source.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Solution is D

Using the CR bible approach:

Question is of Family #2 -> help
Question type is StrengthenX (the correct answer does not strengthen/support the argument). The correct answer is either neutral or weakens the argument.

All answers but D either strengthen or support the argument. D is neutral. Hence, D is correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 453 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
Can someone explain how E strengthens the stimulus.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Can someone post the one that strengthens this argument the most....

I go with A.

Because gold coins --> Business --> from 10th century...

Please provide your answers as well.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1332 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
D it is . rest of the answers may be used to support the conclusion of the passage , either strongly or mildly .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
A sudden increase in the production of elephant ivory artifacts on the Mediterranean coast of North Africa occurred in the tenth century. Historians explain this increase as the result of an area opening up as a new source of ivory and argue on this basis that the important medieval trade between North Africa and East Africa began at this period.
Each of following, if true, provides some support for the historians’ account described
above EXCEPT:
A. In East Africa gold coins from Mediterranean North Africa have been found at a tenthcentury site but at no earlier sites.
B. The many surviving letters of pre-tenth-century North African merchants include no mention of business transactions involving East Africa.
C. Excavations in East Africa reveal a tenth-century change in architectural style to reflect North African patterns.
D. Documents from Mediterranean Europe and North Africa that date back earlier than the tenth century show knowledge of East African animals.
E. East African carvings in a style characteristic of the tenth century depict seagoing vessels very different from those used by local sailors but of a type common in the Mediterranean

The conclusion is: the important medieval trade between North Africa and East Africa began at this period (10th century). We have to find an option that does not strengthen the conclusion.
A: Coins from N. Africa have been found at E. African sites dating back to 10th century, but not at sites older than 10th century. (Does strengthen the argument)
B: Surviving letters from pre/ before 10th century make no mention of any trade between North and East Africa. Does strengthen the argument).
C: Excavations in E. Africa changed around 10th century to reflect N. African architecture. Does strengthen.
D: Knowledge of E. African animals (possibly elephants- the source of ivory also) before 10th century. It could mean that N. Africa knew of elephants before 10th century, and the trade in Ivory began before the 10th century. (Weakens the argument)
E: Seems irrelevant as there is no reference to N. Africa.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4562 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
In the answer choices, we are looking for a cultural interchange between the two parts of Africa beginning in the tenth century. The idea is that the two cultures came in contact once the North Africans began trading ivory to the East Africans in the tenth century, but not before.

(A), (B), (C), and (E) all provide evidence that the two cultures began interacting in the 10th century.

(D) CORRECT Here the North Africans only have knowledge of East African animals, say rhinos. That North Africans know about rhinos has nothing to do with whether Africans began trading with East Africans.

Hope that makes sense :-D
Manager
Manager
Status:I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools: Johnson '15
Send PM
Kudos
hemantsood wrote:
A sudden increase in the production of elephant ivory artifacts on the Mediterranean coast of North Africa occurred in the tenth century. Historians explain this increase as the result of an area opening up as a new source of ivory and argue on this basis that the important medieval trade between North Africa and East Africa began at this period.

Each of following, if true, provides some support for the historians’ account described above EXCEPT:

(A) In East Africa gold coins from Mediterranean North Africa have been found at a tenth-century site but at no earlier sites.
(B) The many surviving letters of pre-tenth-century North African merchants include no mention of business transactions involving East Africa.
(C) Excavations in East Africa reveal a tenth-century change in architectural style to reflect North African patterns.
(D) Documents from Mediterranean Europe and North Africa that date back earlier than the tenth century show knowledge of East African animals.
(E) East African carvings in a style characteristic of the tenth century depict seagoing vessels very different from those used by local sailors but of a type common in the Mediterranean.

OA after couple of replies with explanation.

A. supports
B. supports
C. supports
D. weakens
E. supports

Hence the weakens is the correct answer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM

Each of following, if true, provides some support for the historians’ account described above EXCEPT:

(A) In East Africa gold coins from Mediterranean North Africa have been found at a tenth-century site but at no earlier sites.proves that before 10th century there was no trade between north and east
(B) The many surviving letters of pre-tenth-century North African merchants include no mention of business transactions involving East Africa.proves that before 10th century there was no trade between north and east
(C) Excavations in East Africa reveal a tenth-century change in architectural style to reflect North African patterns.change in architecture is apropos to the trade between North and East
(D) Documents from Mediterranean Europe and North Africa that date back earlier than the tenth century show knowledge of East African animals. shows trade before 10th century hence doesn't provide support
(E) East African carvings in a style characteristic of the tenth century depict seagoing vessels very different from those used by local sailors but of a type common in the Mediterranean.proves that before 10th century there was no trade between north and east

Hence D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
hi, i'n new here. :)

i know the OA is D and i understand why. But before i read the answer choices, i assumed the supporting answer should say that North and East Africa traded 'IVORY', but not anything else. Shouldn't that make more sense?

wish i've explained my question clearly.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
Send PM
maggiegecby wrote:

i know the OA is D and i understand why. But before i read the answer choices, i assumed the supporting answer should say that North and East Africa traded 'IVORY', but not anything else. Shouldn't that make more sense?

What was being traded for the Ivory? Trade involves at least two items be it money for goods or an exchange of goods.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MzJavert wrote:
maggiegecby wrote:

What was being traded for the Ivory? Trade involves at least two items be it money for goods or an exchange of goods.

i mean the historians think that the beginning of trade during that time can explain the increase in the production of ivory artifacts, right?
but the answer choices, i mean the supporting ones, only emphasize on the beginning of trade at time, shouldn't they focus on the thing they are trading for?

I mean if NA and EA began the trade at that time, but EA never buy any ivory artifacts from NA, then how can it support historians' explanation?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Send PM
maggiegecby wrote:
MzJavert wrote:
maggiegecby wrote:

i mean the historians think that the beginning of trade during that time can explain the increase in the production of ivory artifacts, right?
but the answer choices, i mean the supporting ones, only emphasize on the beginning of trade at time, shouldn't they focus on the thing they are trading for?

I mean if NA and EA began the trade at that time, but EA never buy any ivory artifacts from NA, then how can it support historians' explanation?

hi maggie,

the highlited portion is not correct IMO.

A sudden increase in the production of elephant ivory artifacts on the Mediterranean coast of North Africa occurred in the tenth century. Historians explain this increase as the result of an area opening up as a new source of ivory and argue on this basisthat the important medieval trade between North Africa and East Africa began at this period.

IN THE ARGUMENT IT SAYS THAT A NEW SOURCE OF IVORY WAS FOUND ...AND ON THE BASIS OF THAT HISTORIANS ARGUE THAT :the important medieval trade between North Africa and East Africa began at this period.===>SO TRADE DOESNT LED TO INCREASE IN THE PRODUCTION OF ARTIFACTS.

hope it helps
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hi maggie,

the highlited portion is not correct IMO.

A sudden increase in the production of elephant ivory artifacts on the Mediterranean coast of North Africa occurred in the tenth century. Historians explain this increase as the result of an area opening up as a new source of ivory and argue on this basisthat the important medieval trade between North Africa and East Africa began at this period.

IN THE ARGUMENT IT SAYS THAT A NEW SOURCE OF IVORY WAS FOUND ...AND ON THE BASIS OF THAT HISTORIANS ARGUE THAT :the important medieval trade between North Africa and East Africa began at this period.===>SO TRADE DOESNT LED TO INCREASE IN THE PRODUCTION OF ARTIFACTS.

hope it helps[/quote]

Hi, thanks! that really helps.
so a new source led to the increase right? then why does the author need to mention the trade here? i don't get this part.
"argue on this basis" means "argue on the basis of the new source of invory" right?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [1]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Send PM
Kudos
maggiegecby wrote:

Hi, thanks! that really helps.
so a new source led to the increase right? then why does the author need to mention the trade here? i don't get this part.
"argue on this basis" means "argue on the basis of the new source of invory" right?

yes true that is not related actually...but GMAT does this this to confuse the test takers...by merging two things...
first the topic is regarding historians finding reason that how the ivory artfact number increased...then suddenly new topic is merged(which is rather main topic for this question).===>that historians assumed that trade started during this time....so finally according to question stem you have just to focus on trade thing.

so a takeaway will be : when there is EXCEPT question ...dont prethink the answer...rather understand the argument and then start eliminating wrong answers.

hope it helps
Intern
Intern
Send PM
blueseas wrote:

yes true that is not related actually...but GMAT does this this to confuse the test takers...by merging two things...
first the topic is regarding historians finding reason that how the ivory artfact number increased...then suddenly new topic is merged(which is rather main topic for this question).===>that historians assumed that trade started during this time....so finally according to question stem you have just to focus on trade thing.

so a takeaway will be : when there is EXCEPT question ...dont prethink the answer...rather understand the argument and then start eliminating wrong answers.

hope it helps

DO NOT PREPHRASING, i will keep that in mind :-D
so one thing just for sure, the author included the ivory part just to introduce the trade thing,
"trade thing" is "the historian's account" ( in the question stem), right?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts