Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [61]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [9]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 199 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [2]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Re: Editor: We use the computer to check the length of our articles, but [#permalink]
Bookmarks
CharuKapoor wrote:
Editor: We use the computer to check the length of our articles, but surprisingly there is good reason to believe that the word count it provides is inaccurate. Several times when an article's words were carefully counted by our most reliable copy editor, the resulting count differed from the count the computer gave

The editor's reasoning relies on which of the following assumptions?

A) the criteria that the computer uses in determining what constitutes a single word differ from the criteria that the copy editor uses
B) the inaccuracy of the computer's word count does not result from a malfunction of the computer itself
C) it would be possible to modify the computer so that it counted words more accurately
D) a careful count by the copy editor is unlikely to be less accurate than the computer's count
E) the accuracy of the computer's word count is not dependent on the length of the article that it is measuring

IMO, D is correct.

If we negate D, the conclusion is not hold.
Conclusion: computer provides word count inaccurate (because the resulting count differed from the count the copy editor gave)
Assumption: the copy editor is unlikely to be less accurate than the computer's count
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 283 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: Editor: We use the computer to check the length of our articles, but [#permalink]
Bookmarks
D is correct..

Reasoning: careful counting by most reliable copy editor produces an accurate measure to compare against any other counting source.

A) the criteria that the computer uses in determining what constitutes a single word differ from the criteria that the copy editor uses

- "editor could say that we already know that fact and even after the final calculation, there is a diffference - such as one thermometer can give a reading in celsius while other in farenheit , each one will be considered correct in reation to each other as long as C to F conversion or vice versa equates to same value."

B) the inaccuracy of the computer's word count does not result from a malfunction of the computer itself

"editor will say , i dont care what is producing this inaccurate count from the computer , but i do know that it is producing inaccurate count and the reason could be 'malfunction of the computer or not "

Negating the statement -
the inaccuracy of the computer's word count results from the malfunction of the computer itself" - doesn't effect the argument - "editor could say - i knew that , i have believed it that was the reason"

so this statement is not necessarily true as it can go either way

C) it would be possible to modify the computer so that it counted words more accurately

"irrelevant - the point in question is whether computer counts accurately or not"

D) a careful count by the copy editor is unlikely to be less accurate than the computer's count

negate this -
"a careful count by the copy editor is unlikely to be as accurate as or more than the computer's count"

This makes the argument fall apart because copy editor is no longer reliable source for comparing accuracy - Hence correct

E) the accuracy of the computer's word count is not dependent on the length of the article that it is being measured

"editor would say - we dont care about what the computer's word count depends on,but we do care that it gives us correct counts.It may take into consideration whatever parameters it has to take to do so"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Send PM
Bookmarks
Can some one explain why A is incorrect.

I do get D as answer but cannot find any reason to discard A.

Conclusion is the word count provided by comp is incorrect as the editor is getting a different count.

(A)the criteria that the computer uses in determining what constitutes a single word differ from the criteria that the copy editor uses

Upon negation, the statement becomes:
The criteria that comp uses in determining what constitutes a single word DOES NOT differ from the criteria that the copy editor uses.

this means that whatever comp is counting, is equal to what copy editor counts. therefore, no discrepancy.
This attacks the conclusion

however i also feel its out of scope as the argument is not talking anywhere about the method but as its assumption i can assume to attack the conclusion.

Pl explain where i am going wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: International Business, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 3.49
WE:Web Development (Insurance)
Send PM
shail2509 wrote:

Conclusion is the word count provided by comp is incorrect as the editor is getting a different count.

(A)the criteria that the computer uses in determining what constitutes a single word differ from the criteria that the copy editor uses

The criteria that comp uses in determining what constitutes a single word DOES NOT differ from the criteria that the copy editor uses.

this means that whatever comp is counting, is equal to what copy editor counts. therefore, no discrepancy.

however i also feel its out of scope as the argument is not talking anywhere about the method but as its assumption i can assume to attack the conclusion.

Hi Shail, A is just opposite of one of the assumptions

The author assumes that both computer and copy-writer are using the same criteria. That's why he says the computer is less accurate because the word count is different from the copy-writer's. Had this been the opposite, it would have been the perfect answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [3]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 2.75
Send PM
Bookmarks
Conclusion - There is good reason to believe that count given by computer is wrong.
Premise - Count given by computer is different from that given by reliable copy editor.

Here argument is saying that out of two values A and B, A is wrong because A differs from B.
This can be concluded only when B is right. If B is also wrong, what is the ground on basis of which, we can say that A is wrong?
Hence option D perfectly fits and bridges the gap between Premise and conclusion:-

Premise - Count given by computer is different from that given by reliable copy editor.
Assumption - And count given by copy editor is correct.
Conclusion - Therefor there is good reason to believe that count given by computer is wrong.

Other options:-
A - This talks about criteria but we are concerned with the final count of both computer and copy editor. Even if criteria used by both is same, this still doesn't make any difference because premise mentions that final result is different for both and we cannot question the premise.

B - This talks about reason for inaccuracy of computer. But are we concerned about that? Even if reason of inaccuracy of computer was not malfunction but something else, what difference does it make to the final count? Still the output is wrong and no difference in that.

C - Again irrelevant. We are not concerned with what is possible to do. Even if we negate this option, it will have no effect on conclusion.

E - Again we are not concerned about the factors on which accuracy of computer depends. Negating this option as well will not have any effect on conclusion.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1263 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
chetan2u

Can you please help explain option A (I understand why the correct answer is correct here)

Thanks in advance.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: NA
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Keats wrote:
chetan2u

Can you please help explain option A (I understand why the correct answer is correct here)

Thanks in advance.

Hi,
I will try to explain .
Editor: We use the computer to check the length of our articles, but surprisingly there is good reason to believe that the word count it provides is inaccurate. Several times when an article's words were carefully counted by our most reliable copy editor, the resulting count differed from the count the computer gave

A) the criteria that the computer uses in determining what constitutes a single word differ from the criteria that the copy editor uses. ISWAT answer choice

Conclusion : Computer gives inaccurate count.

Here , for this conclusion to be true author assumes atleast below things :
1. Editor and Computer should consider the same criteria for counting word , if not the conclusion will be false. Lets say if counting criteria is different for both computer and editor , computer could not have been at fault. Since criteria is different obviously count will not match.
2. Editor is more accurate in counting than Computer.

these 2 assumptions are required . So , if you see option A it is opposite of our assumptions 1 .

Hope it helps :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Send PM
The conclusion is that the copy editor is more reliable in counting words than the computer.

If you negate every answer, answer D destroys the conclusion the most.
A careful count by the copy editor is likely to be less accurate than the computer's count - This destroys the conclusion that the copy editor is reliable.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
Finding hard to understand
is the conclusion "computer word count is inaccurate"

confusion between b,d,e

option B: what if computer malfunction was the reason for incorrect word count.
option E: what if the accuracy depends on the length of the article.

isn't the author assuming the above choices?

I do understand that the author is assuming the copy editor is accurate.

But I don't understand how does option D convinces the same meaning

A careful count by the editor is * unlikely to be less accurate* than computer's count.

is this statement telling the editor is more accurate than computer's count?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 933 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
mikemcgarry chetan2u MartyTargetTestPrep
In the above example though i chose D , by POE , i still have doubt.

" carefully counted by our most reliable copy editor" ...what i felt is that if the argument is saying that it is the "most reliable person" who is doing the job , then isnt this implicitly stating that the editor is better than the computer??
The reason for me to have this doubt lies in a similar OG problem where the author says that the book was "convincingly" bla bla bla... in that problem we did not challenge the author by saying that what a book constitues difers according o various parameters becasue the author says that the bresult was "convinving" ... Why isnt the same logic applicale here??
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31925 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Expert Reply
AdityaHongunti wrote:
mikemcgarry chetan2u MartyTargetTestPrep
In the above example though i chose D , by POE , i still have doubt.

" carefully counted by our most reliable copy editor" ...what i felt is that if the argument is saying that it is the "most reliable person" who is doing the job , then isnt this implicitly stating that the editor is better than the computer??
The reason for me to have this doubt lies in a similar OG problem where the author says that the book was "convincingly" bla bla bla... in that problem we did not challenge the author by saying that what a book constitues difers according o various parameters becasue the author says that the bresult was "convinving" ... Why isnt the same logic applicale here??

Hi..
The logic here is correct..
We are looking for assumption here..
Quote:
The para talks of RELIABLE copy editor and counting. The choice then connects copy editor with correct counting..

Now, 'Reliable copy editor' is part of 'copy editor' at large, so when we say that copy editors are good, it clearly implies that reliable editor are good. It could rather mean even better.

But now let us twist the wordings..
Quote:
The para talks of copy editor and counting. The choice then connects RELIABLE copy editor with correct counting..

Now, 'Reliable copy editor' does not mean all 'copy editor' , so when we say that reliable copy editors are good, it can mean the copy editors in question can be good or even bad.
Here this will not fit in as an assumption.

I do not know the specific question you are talking about, but I am sure the logic in that must be the one we are talking of in second case.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [0]
Given Kudos: 205
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Send PM
shail2509 wrote:

I guess even if they use different criteria there is a possibility they will end up the same word count.
So A is wrong.

Chetan2u sir your thoughts please for option A.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [3]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos