Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:48 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [17]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [8]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Re: Air travel is becoming increasingly more dangerous. In the last year [#permalink]
i wuld go with option E(seems best)

since in option A its saying

Since the volume of air traffic has been increasing all the time, an increase in the number of deaths due to collisions does not necessarily mean greater danger

if the volume of air traffic is increasing and it is resulting in collisions dsnt it state that air travel has become more dangerous...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Air travel is becoming increasingly more dangerous. In the last year [#permalink]
arvs212,.

No, it doesnt become increasingly dangerous..
because the arguments says that the increase in the number of deaths mean more danger..
but the flaw is that they didnt consider the no of the passengers that were travelling..

for example..

earlier, 100 ppl travel and 10 died.
now, 200 ppl travel and 11 died..

does this statistic mean that air travel has become more dangerous than earlier.. ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
A is answer.
E is wrong. For example, previous years have 100 passengers with 5 death each year (5% chance of death). Last year has lesser passengers than previous years, let's say 70 passengers and with 7 deaths (10% chance of death). Therefore E strengthens the conclusion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
ANS : A
(A) Since the volume of air traffic has been increasing all the time, an increase in the number of deaths due to collisions does not necessarily mean greater danger.

clearly weaken because more accidental death not mean more danger.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 343 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
(A) Since the volume of air traffic has been increasing all the time, an increase in the number of deaths due to collisions does not necessarily mean greater danger. -> Weakens. Hence the answer
(B) The increase in collisions can be explained by statistical coincidence, hijackings, and unusual weather. -> Strengthens the argument
(C) Mortality per passenger mile is lower for air travel than for any kind of surface transportation. -> Out of scope. Comparison with any other means of transport is unnecessary.
(D) The increase in deaths due to collision in air travel has proceeded at a rate identical to that for deaths in all other major forms of transportation. -> Strengthens the argument
(E) Last year the average number of passengers per flown plane was significantly lower than that of previous years. ->Strengthens the argument
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
A must be the answer as according to it , it states that the air trafic has increased and there are more passengers now so the increased no of passenger death is the effect of that .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2092 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
(A) Since the volume of air traffic has been increasing all the time, an increase in the number of deaths due to collisions does not necessarily mean greater danger.

(B) The increase in collisions can be explained by statistical coincidence, hijackings, and unusual weather. ultimately it supports

(C) Mortality per passenger mile is lower for air travel than for any kind of surface transportation.out of scope

(D) The increase in deaths due to collision in air travel has proceeded at a rate identical to that for deaths in all other major forms of transportation.we should be concentrating about air travel only. out of scope

(E) Last year the average number of passengers per flown plane was significantly lower than that of previous years. nothing to do with average no of passengers. out of scope

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [2]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
Third Kaplan CR ! Very subtle [#permalink]
Kudos
I am reopening this question. Please explain your answer and especially option C to the max extent.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [2]
Send PM
Re: Third Kaplan CR ! Very subtle [#permalink]
Kudos
OA is A. Here is the crux :
for example..
earlier, 100 ppl travel and 10 died.
now, 200 ppl travel and 11 died..
does this statistic mean that air travel has become more dangerous than earlier.. ?
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 452 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
nusmavrik wrote:
I am reopening this question. Please explain your answer and especially option C to the max extent.

The author isn't arguing that:

--air travel is a very dangerous form of transportation
or that:
--air travel is more dangerous than other forms of transportation.

If the author was making either of these arguments, then, yes, choice C definitely weakens (actually, the above two conclusions are essentially the same because you would only be regarded as a dangerous form of transportation in consideration of other forms of transportation.)

Instead, the author is arguing:

--air travel is more dangerous than it used to be. Is this different or the same as the above two conclusions?

As another poster astutely pointed out, the author isn't comparing the dangerousness of air travel to that in other forms of travel. Instead, the author is comparing the dangerousness of air travel at two different points in time. Thus, the argument does not include in its scope air travel's comparison to other forms of transportation. Thus, choice C is outside the scope (and, thus, it cannot weaken the argument).

----

For many people (including myself), it is helpful to view arguments as conversations. In weaken questions, you can view the answer choices as other speakers who are all attempting to counter the original arguer as best they can. Your task is to judge the winner. Let us consider answer choice C in this light:

The author is arguing that air travel is more dangerous than it used to be.

Let us say a second speaker riposted:

"yeah, but look: air travel is safer than any other form of transportation".

What would the author say in response? He would say:

"yes, but air travel is more dangerous than it used to be; and nothing you've said discounts that." And, you can tell in the conversation that the author is right: choice C does not discount his claim.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [0]
Send PM
Hey Testluv
Arguments :wink: thanks !
I disagree with you only on one thing -
It is not necessary that the correct answer will be in scope. Scope does not matter in strengthening or weakening questions. It matters in the Assumption / Inference though.

C is wrong because of Incorrect comparison (mortality per mile is different from collisions in a volume of traffic). The argument may go on forever since two people are talking on different topics.

Testluv wrote:
[quote2nusmavrik]Please explain your answer and especially option C to the max extent.[/quote2]

The author isn't arguing that:

--air travel is a very dangerous form of transportation
or that:
--air travel is more dangerous than other forms of transportation.

If the author was making either of these arguments, then, yes, choice C definitely weakens (actually, the above two conclusions are essentially the same because you would only be regarded as a dangerous form of transportation in consideration of other forms of transportation.)

Instead, the author is arguing:

--air travel is more dangerous than it used to be. Is this different or the same as the above two conclusions?

As another poster astutely pointed out, the author isn't comparing the dangerousness of air travel to that in other forms of travel. Instead, the author is comparing the dangerousness of air travel at two different points in time. Thus, the argument does not include in its scope air travel's comparison to other forms of transportation. Thus, choice C is outside the scope (and, thus, it cannot weaken the argument).

----

For many people (including myself), it is helpful to view arguments as conversations. In weaken questions, you can view the answer choices as other speakers who are all attempting to counter the original arguer as best they can. Your task is to judge the winner. Let us consider answer choice C in this light:

The author is arguing that air travel is more dangerous than it used to be.

Let us say a second speaker riposted:

"yeah, but look: air travel is safer than any other form of transportation".

What would the author say in response? He would say:

"yes, but air travel is more dangerous than it used to be; and nothing you've said discounts that." And, you can tell in the conversation that the author is right: choice C does not discount his claim.
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 452 [0]
Send PM
nusmavrik wrote:
It is not necessary that the correct answer will be in scope. Scope does not matter in strengthening or weakening questions. It matters in the Assumption / Inference though.

thanks for your comment; but I've heard it before. Although it is a fallacious claim from a technical/logical standpoint, it might actually be not bad advice from the standpoint of test-taking strategy. Perhaps that's why I hear people make the claim every once again (i.e., the claim that scope is irrelevant in stn/wkn questions).

But why do you think that?

It may depend on what you mean by "scope".

A necessary condition of scope: "any fact that has to do with the argument's ideas". If a fact has naught do with an argument's ideas, then it can't fall within the scope, and thus cannot strengthen or weaken it.

It is certainly true that choices that seem outside the scope are often correct in stn/wkn questions. (The only reason a choice that is actually within the scope may seem outside the scope is if a student failed to grasp every necessary assumption of the argument). So, one tip I do always give my students is:

"in stn/wkn questions, scope is not your best friend". You shouldn't be quick to eliminate choices for reasons of scope. (In fact, I even have a pet LSAT question that I use to show where the right answer seems outside scope, so students eliminate it; I then show that it is actually squarely within the scope of the argument...let me know if you want to see it!)

However, as a matter of logic and working with the correct definition of scope, a fact has to be within scope in order to stn or wkn; it is a necessary condition to strengthening or weakening.

I can of course be called upon to demonstrate that the accredited response of any officially released GMAT stn/wkn question is within the scope of the argument. Just pick one, and I'll be more than happy to discuss, if you think the exercise will be helpful.

In this particular question, the wrong answer under discussion falls under two categories: outside the scope and irrelevant comparison. Both of these are common wrong answer types in all assumption family questions. Not every irrelevant comparison is outside the scope but this one is.

And of course, a choice may be wrong even if it is within the scope. (That is, being outside the scope is not the only reason a wrong answer can be wrong of course).

(As an aside, many official Kaplan explanations offer "outside the scope" as a common reason why wrong answers to stn/wkn are wrong. Thus, Kaplan's well-funded R&D team views scope as a valid logical reason for eliminating wrong answers in this type of question!)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
But why do you think that? --->

I am not an expert. Still I believe Kaplan should replace the term "scope" with "consistency" when answering strengthening / weakening questions.

Imagine two people arguing - one talking about x and another talking about y. Hence noone can can strengthen weaken / strengthen each other. There wasn't a mutual point. Argument can go on forever and still useless!

An argument can be weakened only on its own terms - unless its a causal argument. I will point that in a bit :-)
In this question "collisions" are used as an argument - then to flaw that reasoning someone should attack collision - Percentages are easier to attack on gmat. So here one can attack since the exact percentage of that causing collision in total volume is unknown we cannot infer anything by hard numbers. Vice-versa someone can attack the rising volume of traffic (choice A) which will lead to conclusion that exact percentage of that causing the collision is unknown. Even if the numbers are increasing - seven major collisions resulting in over 700 deaths.

This one is from Manhattan.
In any passage that takes CORRELATION and concludes CAUSATION, that connection can be destroyed if either:
(1) the causation actually runs the other way around (i.e., the passage concludes that X causes Y, but in actuality Y causes X);
(2) the two correlated things are both results of some third, not considered, confounding factor.

For example :

The number of murder in American cities is correlated with large number of churches in the cities. Hence church cause murder in the cities.

There is a strong correlation between the # of churches and the # of murders in American cities: the more churches, the more murders. However, there is no causation at work here (churches don't cause murders, and murders don't cause the building of churches), because both of these factors are caused by a third factor: the SIZE of the city. (larger cities have both more churches and more murders.)

This third factor is the one OUTSIDE the scope or not mentioned in the passage. It works wonderfully here 8-)
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 452 [3]
Send PM
Kudos