Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 685 [65]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 12-16-2011
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [16]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618869 [15]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Accounting
Schools:UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
 Q47  V34 GMAT 2: 660  Q46  V35 GMAT 3: 700  Q49  V36
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Send PM
Re: If the area of a parallelogram is 100, what is the perimeter [#permalink]
I do not get this problem
Ok, let's imagine that the height of the parallelogram is 10 and it's base is 10 as well.
One of the angles of parallelogram is 45 degrees. That would mean, that one of the angles of the parallelogram height of the parallelogram and one of the sides of parallelogram will form right triangle. One leg of this triangle is 10, the other leg, which is part of the base of the parallelogram need to be 10 as well (Why?)
Because the right triangle is an isosceles triangle with angles 45, 45 and 90 degrees respectively.

BUT, that triangle would not make sense, since the total length of the base of the parallelogram is 10, how part of the length of the parallelogram could be 10 also.

Can somebody explain the problem to me.
Thank you
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618869 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
mirzohidjon wrote:
I do not get this problem
Ok, let's imagine that the height of the parallelogram is 10 and it's base is 10 as well.
One of the angles of parallelogram is 45 degrees. That would mean, that one of the angles of the parallelogram height of the parallelogram and one of the sides of parallelogram will form right triangle. One leg of this triangle is 10, the other leg, which is part of the base of the parallelogram need to be 10 as well (Why?)
Because the right triangle is an isosceles triangle with angles 45, 45 and 90 degrees respectively.

BUT, that triangle would not make sense, since the total length of the base of the parallelogram is 10, how part of the length of the parallelogram could be 10 also.

Can somebody explain the problem to me.
Thank you

Let parallelogram be ABCD. Base AD = 10, height BX = 10 and the angle BAD = 45 degrees. This would mean that when you draw the hight from B it will meat the base at point D (D and X will coincide). So the height will be the diagonal too. AB and CD will become hypotenuses and will be equal to \(10\sqrt{2}\).

\(P=20+20\sqrt{2}\).

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Accounting
Schools:UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
 Q47  V34 GMAT 2: 660  Q46  V35 GMAT 3: 700  Q49  V36
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Send PM
Thank you, it was great help!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 588 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Kudos
Hi every body,
I think statement-2 alone will be suffice if we want to find the Perimeter. If one angle is 45, another angle has to be 45. In addition other two angles will be 270/2 each. Now, if you consider area of 100, you can find only one parallelogram matching these qualities. Please mind that here I dont care how i will find out the perimeter. But I do know that it can be found out.

Bunuel,
Can you please throw some light on this issue? I am not sure if I am making some mistake here. But i strongly believe that statement-2 alone must be suffice.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618869 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
amitjash wrote:
Hi every body,
I think statement-2 alone will be suffice if we want to find the Perimeter. If one angle is 45, another angle has to be 45. In addition other two angles will be 270/2 each. Now, if you consider area of 100, you can find only one parallelogram matching these qualities. Please mind that here I dont care how i will find out the perimeter. But I do know that it can be found out.

Bunuel,
Can you please throw some light on this issue? I am not sure if I am making some mistake here. But i strongly believe that statement-2 alone must be suffice.

You are right about the angles, but there are many parallelograms possible with such angles and area 100:
\(h=10\), \(b=10\) --> \(area=100\);
\(h=5\), \(b=20\) --> \(area=100\);
\(h=1\), \(b=100\) --> \(area=100\);
--> different perimeter.

If refer to my previous post then we would have that \(height=BX=AX\) (as angle BAD is 45 degrees) and \(base=AX+XD\) --> \(Area=BX*(AX+XD)=AX*(AX+XD)=100\). You can plug different values for AX and XD to get are 100, thus the perimeter would be different for each case.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2930 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Kudos
Orange08 wrote:
If the area of a parallelogram is 100, what is the perimeter of the parallelogram?

1.The base of the parallelogram is 10.
2.One of the angles of the parallelogram is 45 degrees.

(1) Insufficient. Base=10. Area=100. So height is 10, but we don't know the angle inside the paralellogram, so we don't actually know length of the sides. (Imagine extreme case angle=90, makes it a square. Angle=10, makes its perimeter approach a very large number)

(2) Insufficent. Angle=45. Again, we dont know the base and the height, all we know their product is 100. hxb=100. Perimeter is 2(h(sqrt(2)) + b) which can take a range of different values for different choices of h.

(1+2) In this case, base=10. Height =10. Angle=45. So the other side will be 10(sqrt(2)). Hence perimeter = 20+20sqrt(2). Sufficient

Answer is (c)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
mirzohidjon wrote:
Hi, Bunuel,
I really appreciate your effort to help us. Finally after your explanation, I got the answer (since I imagined what kind of parallelogram the problem was talking about.
But, based on what assumptions, you deduce that parallelogram needs to be the way you described (diagonal equal to height)?

Attachment:
PointLatticeParallelograms_1000.gif

If the area of a parallelogram is 100, what is the perimeter of the parallelogram?

Given: \(Area=base*height=100\). Q: \(P=2b+2l=?\) (b - base, l - leg )

(1) The base of the parallelogram is 10 --> \(base=height=10\). Infinite variations are possible. Look at the diagram (let the distance between two horizontal and vertical points be 10): all 4 parallelograms have \(base=height=10\) but they have different perimeter. Not sufficient. Side notes: \(l\geq{10}\), when \(l=10=h\) we would have the square (case #3 on the diagram) and \(P=40\) (smallest possible perimeter), maximum value of perimeter is not limited.

(2) One of the angles of the parallelogram is 45 degrees. Clearly insufficient. But from this statement height BX and AX will make isosceles right triangle: \(height=BX=AX\).

(1)+(2) As from 2 we have that \(height=BX=AX\) and from (1) we have that \(base=height=10\) --> \(AX=base=AD=10\) --> X and D coincide (case #4 on the diagram) --> leg (AB) becomes hypotenuse of the isosceles right triangle with sides equal to 10 --> \(AB=10\sqrt{2}\) --> \(P=20+20\sqrt{2}\). Sufficient.

Answer: C.
Attachment:
m10-31.png

Hope it's clear.

HI Bunuel,

I got convienced bt small doubt grilling me ... if i draw a line from B to a base not diagnolly, can n't i consider as a height... ?? Is so then equation changes??
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618869 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
vitamingmat wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
mirzohidjon wrote:
Hi, Bunuel,
I really appreciate your effort to help us. Finally after your explanation, I got the answer (since I imagined what kind of parallelogram the problem was talking about.
But, based on what assumptions, you deduce that parallelogram needs to be the way you described (diagonal equal to height)?

Attachment:
PointLatticeParallelograms_1000.gif

(1) The base of the parallelogram is 10 --> \(base=height=10\). Infinite variations are possible. Look at the diagram (let the distance between two horizontal and vertical points be 10): all 4 parallelograms have \(base=height=10\) but they have different perimeter. Not sufficient. Side notes: \(l\geq{10}\), when \(l=10=h\) we would have the square (case #3 on the diagram) and \(P=40\) (smallest possible perimeter), maximum value of perimeter is not limited.

(2) One of the angles of the parallelogram is 45 degrees. Clearly insufficient. But from this statement height BX and AX will make isosceles right triangle: \(height=BX=AX\).

(1)+(2) As from 2 we have that \(height=BX=AX\) and from (1) we have that \(base=height=10\) --> \(AX=base=AD=10\) --> X and D coincide (case #4 on the diagram) --> leg (AB) becomes hypotenuse of the isosceles right triangle with sides equal to 10 --> \(AB=10\sqrt{2}\) --> \(P=20+20\sqrt{2}\). Sufficient.

Attachment:
m10-31.png

Hope it's clear.

HI Bunuel,

I got convienced bt small doubt grilling me ... if i draw a line from B to a base not diagnolly, can n't i consider as a height... ?? Is so then equation changes??

A height is a perpendicular from a vertex to a side. When we consider two statements together we get that height from B coincide with diagonal BD.

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
regarding the problem got question:

cant parallelogram be trapezoid with equal sides ? (in that case the area of trapezoid will be totally different and the answer will be E )
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
tinki wrote:

cant parallelogram be trapezoid with equal sides ? (in that case the area of trapezoid will be totally different and the answer will be E )

What do you mean by "cant parallelogram be trapezoid with equal sides"?

Next, given parallelogram (with one of the angles 45 degrees and base=height) can not have all 4 sides equal because it'll mean that height is equal to both base and leg which is impossible as the angle is 45 degrees (try to draw it).
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Sorry , my question was not correclty formulated.

i somewhere read that trapezoid is a special type of parallelogram with one pare of parallel sides. Could that be right?
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
tinki wrote:
Sorry , my question was not correclty formulated.

i somewhere read that trapezoid is a special type of parallelogram with one pare of parallel sides. Could that be right?

Common definition of a trapezoid: a quadrilateral which has at least one pair of parallel sides.

Common definition of a parallelogram: a quadrilateral with two pairs of parallel sides.

According to these definitions all parallelograms are trapezoids but not all trapezoids are parallelograms.

Other definition of a trapezoid is: a quadrilateral which has only one pair of parallel sides. So according to this definition a parallelogram can not be a trapezoid at all.

But the above has nothing to do with the original question because we are told that the figure is a prallelogram: "If the area of a parallelogram is...".
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [0]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
tinki wrote:

Trapezoid is not a parallelogram.

Parallelogram has four sides where opposite sides are always equal and parallel, whereas in a trapezoid, only one pair opposite sides is parallel.

Parallelograms: Rectangle, Square, Rhombus.

Area of parallelogram = base * height = 100

1. base = 10;

base * height = 10 * height = 100
height = 10
But, we can't find the other side of the parallelogram in order to find the perimeter. Not sufficient.

2. One of the angles is 45. Say parallelogram PQRS, where PR is parallel to QS. \(\angle{Q}\) is \(45{\circ}\)
If a line is drawn perpendicular from point P to QS and it meets at point X.
We know that the altitude, distance between PR and QS, is same as the distance between Q and X.
We don't know the side. Not sufficient.

Using both, as earlier explained, X is nothing but R. So, the side becomes the hypotenuse of the right triangle with base 10 and altitude 10, \(10\sqrt{2}\)

Perimeter: \(10+10\sqrt{2}\)

Answer: "C"
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 239
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Bunuel! thanks for such good explanations, really appreciate that!! +1 to you!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 860 [1]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
mirzohidjon wrote:
Hi, Bunuel,

Attachment:
The attachment PointLatticeParallelograms_1000.gif is no longer available

Attachment:
The attachment m10-31.png is no longer available

Hope it's clear.

Bunuel/Anyone
Why not A alone is sufficient
being known 2 sides are 10 it means angles are also same .also as height BD is making 90 deg. means the other 2 angles are 45 deg each
fig. attached)
Thus making A as ans choice

Thanks
Attachments

m10-31.png
m10-31.png [ 5.08 KiB | Viewed 9517 times ]

RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31898 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Expert Reply
rohit8865 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
mirzohidjon wrote:
Hi, Bunuel,

Attachment:

Attachment:

Hope it's clear.

Bunuel/Anyone
being known 2 sides are 10 it means angles are also same .also as height BD is making 90 deg. means the other 2 angles are 45 deg each
fig. attached)

Thanks

Hi Rohit,
Refer your PM..
Area of llgm is dependent on base and height..
Base is one of the side but height will be other side only if angle is 90°...
With height 10, various combinations can be made...
Attachments

IMG_20160922_103428_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160922_103428_HDR.jpg [ 1.83 MiB | Viewed 9516 times ]

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rohit8865 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
mirzohidjon wrote:
Hi, Bunuel,

Attachment:

Attachment:

Hope it's clear.

Bunuel/Anyone
fig. attached)

Thanks

Responding to a pm:

Height is the length of the altitude from a vertex to the opposite side. It will be 10 in this case. But why is it necessary that it will fall on D? Look at these two figures. The perimeter in each case will be different.

Attachment:
ParallelogramJPEG.jpg
ParallelogramJPEG.jpg [ 23.09 KiB | Viewed 4712 times ]
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Math Expert
92901 posts