Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [407]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [113]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [8]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT Date: 05-10-2015
GPA: 3.51
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4616 [6]
Given Kudos: 99
Send PM
Re: The number of people flying first class on domestic flights rose sharp [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
bigoyal wrote:
The number of people flying first class on domestic flights rose sharply in 1990, doubling the increase of the previous year.

A. doubling the increase of
B. doubling that of the increase in
C. double as much as the increase of
D. twice as many as the increase in
E. twice as many as the increase of

A sounds right to me. "the number of people" is singular so that makes C, D, and E wrong.

A sounds better than B ..
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [8]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: The number of people flying first class on domestic flights rose sharp [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
abh007 wrote:

TWICE or TWO TIMES is the FREQUENCY. On the other hand DOUBLE is QUANTITY X 2.

Ex. The stock prices of the company DOUBLED when they rose sharply TWICE in the same day.

We could also use twice to indicate a multiple x2, isn't it?

My age is double your age.
My age is twice as your age.
I am two times as old as you.

All the above three sentences mean the same, isn't it?.. none of them refer to frequency, but to a multiple.

The point is, twice or two times could be used for two different meanings:

1. frequency, as you stated (because of the word times)
2. multiple x2, as I mentioned above.

However double can only be used to refer to the multiple x2.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 624 [5]
Given Kudos: 98
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The number of people flying first class on domestic flights rose sharply in 1990, doubling the increase of the previous year.

A. doubling the increase of - -ing participle word correctly links the second part sentence of the sentence to the first.
B. doubling that of the increase in - that does not refer to anything
C. double as much as the increase of . - double and "as much as" are both comparison words. "as much as is used for uncountable things"
D. twice as many as the increase in - twice and "as many as" are both comparison words - Redundancy
E. twice as many as the increase of - twice and "as many as" are both comparison words - Redundancy

souvik101990 merge the topics @shttps://gmatclub.com/forum/the-number-of-people-flying-first-class-on-domestic-flights-80878.html
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64922 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mdacosta wrote:
what is the difference between A and B? CDE are clearly wrong, but is it that the word 'that' in B has no referent and thus B is wrong?

Yes, in option (B), "that" is used as a pronoun. It needs to have an antecedent. But it doesn't.

(B) The number of people flying first class on domestic flights rose sharply in 1990, doubling that of the increase in the previous year.

What does "that" stand for here?

"that" stands for "the increase" but it hasn't been mentioned before.

e.g.
Democrats have rated the U.N. more positively than Republicans, with Democrats' average approval rating (46%) nearly doubling that of Republicans (24%).

"that" stands for "average approval rating". The pronoun needs an antecedent.

In option (B), the pronoun "that" has no antecedent.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
I was thinking that the antecedent refers to the 'number of people' . That is why I chose B. please help explain why B is wrong. thanks
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [5]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Leonaann wrote:
I was thinking that the antecedent refers to the 'number of people' . That is why I chose B. please help explain why B is wrong. thanks

Here's the full sentence again, with (B) inserted:

Quote:
The number of people flying first class on domestic flights rose sharply in 1990, doubling that of the increase in the previous year.

If we replace the pronoun "that" with "number of people", we get nonsense: "The number of people flying first class on domestic flights rose sharply in 1990, doubling the number of people of the increase in the previous year." I can't make any sense of that at all.

I hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 386 [5]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Accounting, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Kudos
bigoyal wrote:

(A) doubling the increase of

(B) doubling that of the increase in

(C) double as much as the increase of

(D) twice as many as the increase in

(E) twice as many as the increase of

Source : GMATPrep Default Exam Pack

Attachment:
Test 1 R4 V3A.jpg

"the increase in X" means that X itself has increased. therefore, "the increase in the previous year" doesn't make sense, because the implication would be that the previous year itself had increased (what would that possibly mean?).
eliminate (B) & (D).

"That" refers to the number of people.
b. doubling "the number of people" of the increase in the previous year.

Also note that the correct answer replaces "that" with "increase." You're saying the increase doubled, not the number of people flying first class. Important meaning shift.

"the increase of TIME PERIOD", by contrast, means exactly what it should mean in this particular instance.
Another reason to eliminate (B)

if you say "twice as many", then this construction should be paired with a countable noun.
e.g., twice as many dogs --> "dogs" is a countable noun

if you said "twice as much", then this construction should be paired with an uncountable noun.
e.g., twice as much water --> "water" is an uncountable noun

if the noun in question is already an explicitly numerical quantity, then you should use neither "much" nor "many". instead, you should just use "twice" or "double" by itself.
e.g., twice the increase --> "increase" is an explicitly numerical quantity

these rules are followed pretty closely.
so, for instance:
twice as much water --> correct, since "water" is an uncountable noun (but is not an explicitly numerical quantity)
twice the water... --> incorrect, since water is not a numerical quantity

twice as much as the increase... --> incorrect; redundant
twice the increase... --> correct

So you can not use "as much as/as many as" if the noun(increase) is an explicitly numerical quantity.
and also in (D) & (E), you can not use "MANY" with uncountable noun "increase"
eliminate (C), (D) and (E)

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1204
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Hi All,

Let’s first understand the meaning of this sentence. The year 1990 experienced a sharp rise in the number of people flying first class on domestic flights. This rise doubled the increase seen previous year.

Error Analysis:

This sentence uses verb-ing modifier “doubling” preceded by a comma. This means that this modifier will modify the entire preceding clause. Usage of “doubling” is correct here because it correctly presents the result of the preceding clause. There was a rise sharp in the number of specific passengers. This rise doubled the increased witnessed the previous year. Hence there is no error in this sentence.

POE:

a. doubling the increase of: Correct for the reason stated above.

b. doubling that of the increase in: Incorrect.
1. There is no antecedent of pronoun “that”.
2. When we say “increase in something”, the phrase means that “something” has increased itself. Hence, this phrase does not make sense in this choice as it suggests that “the previous year” increased itself.

c. double as much as the increase of: Incorrect.
1. Here “double”, a noun modifier has no particular noun to refer to.
2. The correct way to say is “double the increase” and not “double as much as the increase…”.

d. twice as many as the increase in: Inocrrect.
1. Noun modifier “twice” dos not have a noun to refer to.
2. Use of “many” for uncountable noun “increase” is incorrect.
3. Repeats the idiom error of choice B.

e. twice as many as the increase of: Incorrect. This choice repeats the first two errors of Choice D.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

A implies that the number of people has done the action of 'doubling the incerase' whereas 'the rise' actually doubled the increase. Is this usage okay?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sups3906 wrote:
A implies that the number of people has done the action of 'doubling the incerase' whereas 'the rise' actually doubled the increase. Is this usage okay?

Hi sups3906, you are absolutely right. That's the reason such participial phrases (doubling the increase here) act both as adjective as well as adverbial modifier; adverbial because such participial phrases modify the verb of the previous clause (in this case rose).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
When do we need to use that in a question such as this? Like in option B?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
delmoneyy wrote:
When do we need to use that in a question such as this? Like in option B?

Check out this post, particularly "Usage #1: "that” as a pronoun". If I remember correctly, the same issue comes up a few times in this video on comparisons. Hopefully that will help!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
@e-GMAT GMATNinja, how can A be the right answer? According to me, its meaning is wrong. Let us have a look at the intended meaning of the question and the conveyed meaning of A.

Ideally the sentence wants to convey this. Let me know if you agree with this.
1988 = 100
1989 = 150 (Increase of 50)
1990 = 150 + 2*50 = 250

Now let's see A:

The above sentence says two things:
i) the number of people rose sharply in 990
ii) the number of people FFC in 1990 = double of increase of the previous year

If the increase of the previous year was 50 (1988 to 1989) then the number of people FFC in 1990 should became twice of this number. So are we saying that it became 100? That's wrong because it actually became 250 and not 100.

Please explain.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [4]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
saman283 wrote:
@e-GMAT GMATNinja, how can A be the right answer? According to me, its meaning is wrong. Let us have a look at the intended meaning of the question and the conveyed meaning of A.

Ideally the sentence wants to convey this. Let me know if you agree with this.
1988 = 100
1989 = 150 (Increase of 50)
1990 = 150 + 2*50 = 250

Now let's see A:

The above sentence says two things:
i) the number of people rose sharply in 990
ii) the number of people FFC in 1990 = double of increase of the previous year

If the increase of the previous year was 50 (1988 to 1989) then the number of people FFC in 1990 should became twice of this number. So are we saying that it became 100? That's wrong because it actually became 250 and not 100.

Please explain.

Interesting question! If the sentence were conveying that the number of people flying first class was itself equal to the increase, you'd be right -- those two values must be different. But that isn't what the sentence is saying. Instead, it's telling us that the number of people flying first class increased, and, as a result, the value of the increase doubled. In other words, we're dealing with two different values that have a logical relationship to each other.

If we used your numbers, for instance, we could write, "Because the number of people flying first class rose from 150 to 250, the increase this year (100) was double the increase (50) of the previous year." A little cumbersome to include all those values, but perfectly logical in the same way (A) is logical.

The takeaway: When we have FULL CLAUSE + COMMA + -ING, the "-ING" modifier will often offer us a consequence of the previous clause. One element can be a consequence of another, even if those two elements are not themselves identical.

I hope that clears things up!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Is there a difference between "increase in" and "increase of"?
I originally thought that "increase of" was wrong, as it was not parallel with "rose sharply in 1990".
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sandrasimyl wrote:
Is there a difference between "increase in" and "increase of"?
I originally thought that "increase of" was wrong, as it was not parallel with "rose sharply in 1990".

Typically, "increase in" is followed by the actual thing that is being measured. For example,

"Last year, the US saw an increase in demand for toilet paper."

In this sentence, "demand for toilet paper" is the thing being measured (the thing that has increased).

In choice (A), "of the previous year" is basically acting like a possessive ("increase of the previous year" = "last year's increase"). This is no different than something like this:

"Tim was mesmerized by the crackling of the fire."

The "crackling" belongs to the fire just as the "increase" belongs to "last year."

Note that "doubling..." is simply an "-ing" modifier and is NOT part of a parallel list. We don't have a parallelism trigger (i.e. "and"), so we don't actually have to worry about parallelism here.

I hope that helps!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja - is "Twice" always an adverb ?

So it would be wrong to say -- I am TWICE your size ? It should be I am DOUBLE your size.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
The number of people flying first class on domestic flights rose sharp [#permalink]
Hi avigutman - was curious, if you could eliminate D and E had the expression been

Twice as many much as

OR you think the GMAT wouldn't do that ?
GMAT Club Bot
The number of people flying first class on domestic flights rose sharp [#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts