Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:46 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72864 [1094]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3825 [4]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [3]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Consulting
Schools:Kellogs, Darden, Stern, Tepper
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [18]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: General Management
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Send PM
Re: GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
bb - Thanks for putting this together! +1

You could add GIN's RC technique guide, too. I've attached the same.
Attachments

GIN's RC technique.doc [55.5 KiB]
Downloaded 44543 times

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72864 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
pm4553 wrote:

thanks. Will update when at the computer.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I started with the most traditional way (as Kaplan says), which is: read the entire passage, paraphrase the paragraphs review mentally in the end. As I am a foreigner student, it is taking too much time.
I would like to know what people are doing with their RCs as well :-D
One guy in this forum called Rhyme (as stated above) tells people to read strategic parts of the text (just the 1st paragraph and the 1st sentence of the other paragraphs and just skim for keywords) rather than read it entirely.

What do you guys think about this strategy?

In parallel, to work out my vocabulary, I am reading a romance book, which is recommended in this forum ("The great gatsby", very good one).
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
diogoguitarrista wrote:
I started with the most traditional way (as Kaplan says), which is: read the entire passage, paraphrase the paragraphs review mentally in the end. As I am a foreigner student, it is taking too much time.
I would like to know what people are doing with their RCs as well :-D
One guy in this forum called Rhyme (as stated above) tells people to read strategic parts of the text (just the 1st paragraph and the 1st sentence of the other paragraphs and just skim for keywords) rather than read it entirely.

What do you guys think about this strategy?

In parallel, to work out my vocabulary, I am reading a romance book, which is recommended in this forum ("The great gatsby", very good one).

Kaplan's is the approach I followed. Being an international student, I got V42 - 96th Percentile.
Rhyme's approach can work, but you need to be really good to succeed there. I found Kaplan's to be more reliable for myself. This may vary from person/personality to person. I'd say try both and settle on the one that you are most comfortable with and then, stick with it!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Send PM
bb wrote:
pm4553 wrote:

thanks. Will update when at the computer.

Posted from my mobile device

Thanks a lot!

Well, how often do you stop reading to take notes?
I would think that the "perfect" would be in between paragraphs, but I just forget what I just read if I do this! So I write one or two words per sentence... just the keywords

-
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
diogoguitarrista wrote:
Thanks a lot!

Well, how often do you stop reading to take notes?
I would think that the "perfect" would be in between paragraphs, but I just forget what I just read if I do this! So I write one or two words per sentence... just the keywords

-

Usually between paragraphs but if you do have a hard time remembering, then as often as needed.
When I took notes, I usually never had to refer to them, but if I did not take them, I did not remember the text as well. Go figure 8-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Gmat's traps take into account the strategy consisting in reading only parts of the text. Reading the whole passage is a better strategy in my view.. though slower
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Hi BB,

Just a little query!!

How can Fiction books or other books help a person for improvement in RC, if he/she can manage hardly 3 hours daily for study?? Also, if someone has 3 months to prepare for whole GMAT, then will it be a good option??

Actually I bought some of these books a month ago but could not find any time to read those, so I decided to read them during post GMAT phase. :)

So can I say that the "Fiction Strategy" works for a person who has much time available for study and who is planning to crack gmat in 6 months period????
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72864 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hussain15 wrote:
Hi BB,

Just a little query!!

How can Fiction books or other books help a person for improvement in RC, if he/she can manage hardly 3 hours daily for study?? Also, if someone has 3 months to prepare for whole GMAT, then will it be a good option??

Actually I bought some of these books a month ago but could not find any time to read those, so I decided to read them during post GMAT phase. :)

So can I say that the "Fiction Strategy" works for a person who has much time available for study and who is planning to crack gmat in 6 months period????

Thanks! a good point.
Probably depends on your schedule and commitments - my strategy was to find books that were captivating and that kept me reading throughout the day (in public transportation, when I was making dinner/lunch, during downtime at work, at night etc).

I would do most of my studying during mornings (before work) - I was able to switch my working hours a bit. That also meant that I came back from work at 9 or 10 PM, so at that point, I could not study. The only thing to do was read books. Most of my reading was done at night (after 11 PM when my brain was dead) - it was most convenient as I could have a dictionary and a notepad around me to jot down words I did not know.

So, my study time was 2-3 hours during mornings and then 1-2 hours reading at night (I would mostly stay up out of interest, rather than need) - getting interesting books was the only way for me to stay interested and keep reading.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [1]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Kudos
Good to know this!!

I perceive it as "If I have the passion & the will, time will be managed". :)

Very inspiring!!

I have just thought that I can avail the one hour lunch break during office timings, daily. Your thinkings always help me :) Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I think taking notes after each para is helpful and at least keeps you interested in the subject matter.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: International Business
Schools:All options are open
 Q48  V21 GMAT 2: 590  Q46  V26
Send PM
The RC guide is interesting. But the problem with me is that I am not comfortable with taking notes while reading.
Usually I get confused among the answer choices.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 345 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools: Sloan '14 (S)
Send PM
bb,

Great post!

I vote to make this one a sticky... anyone else?

+1
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Dear BB

How long did you prepare for your GMAT before taking it?

I am a non-native speaker of English and find it challenging to master the verbal, in particular RC.
I have attempted GMAT twice over a preparation time of 5 months, but unfortunately received V27/28.
Perhaps I need to spend a year or less brushing up my reading skills.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [3]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos