Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2409 [91]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [10]
Given Kudos: 130
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4586 [7]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: In her account of unmarried womens experiences in colonial Philadelph [#permalink]
15. The primary purpose of the passage is to
A. argue against one aspect of Wulf’s account of how ideas critical of marriage were disseminated among young women in colonial Philadelphia
B. discuss Wulf’s interpretation of the significance for educated young women in colonial Philadelphia of the poetry they copied into their commonplace books
C. counter Wulf’s assertions about the impact of the multiethnic character of colonial Philadelphia’s population on the prevalent views about marriage
D. present data to undermine Wulf’s assessment of the diversity of the student body in Quaker schools in colonial Philadelphia
E. challenge Wulf’s conclusion that a critique of marriage was prevalent among young women of all social classes in colonial Philadelphia

A? the author talked about how Wulf's wrong about poor women spreading it?

16. According to the passage, which of the following was true of attitudes toward marriage in colonial Philadelphia?
A. Exemplars of a critique of marriage could be found in various literary forms, but they did not impact public attitudes except among educated young women.
B. The diversity of the student body in the Quaker schools meant that attitudes toward marriage were more disparate there than elsewhere in Philadelphia society.
C. Although critical attitudes toward marriage were widespread, Quaker schools’ influence in disseminating these attitudes was limited.
D. Criticisms of marriage in colonial Philadelphia were directed at only certain limited aspects of patriarchal marriage.
E. The influence of the wide range of marital beliefs and practices present in Philadelphia’s multiethnic population can be detected in the poetry that educated young women copied in their commonplace books.

C. The author gave couple of examples on how Wulf is overstating the importance of quaker school spreading the attitudes.

17. The author of the passage implies which of the following about the poetry mentioned in the first paragraph?
A. Wulf exaggerates the degree to which young women from an elite background regarded the poetry as providing a critique of marriage.
B. The circulation of the poetry was confined to young Quaker women.
C. Young women copied the poetry into their commonplace books because they interpreted it as providing a desirable model of unmarried life.
D. The poetry’s capacity to influence popular attitudes was restricted by the degree of literacy necessary to comprehend it.
E. The poetry celebrated marital beliefs and practices that were in opposition to patriarchal marriage.

E.

18. Which of the following, if true, would most seriously undermine the author’s basis for saying that Wulf overstates Quaker schools’ impact (line 17-18) ?
A. The information that Wulf herself provided on religious affiliation and gender of students is in fact accurate.
B. Most poor, non-Quaker students enrolled in Quaker schools had completed one or two years’ formal or informal schooling before enrolling.
C. Not all of the young women whose commonplace books contained copies of poetry critical of marriage were Quakers.
D. The poetry featured in young women’s commonplace books frequently included allusions that were unlikely to be accessible to someone with only three years’ study in school.
E. In 1765 an unusually large proportion of the Quaker schools’ student body consisted of poor girls from non-Quaker backgrounds.

E. The author is estimating the number of non-quaker girls during that period. If E is true then the author's estimation is off and will undermine the author's opinion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [4]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: In her account of unmarried womens experiences in colonial Philadelph [#permalink]
Kudos
I don't think the response to the last question should be E. It should be B.

E states that an unusually large percentage of the school's population were poor girls from non-Quaker backgrounds. This does not tell us anything. It does not say the author is wrong in her estimate bc as far as we know the percentage enrolled in 1765 can be an unusually large percentage compared with previous years, even if it is low percentage overall.

B is the correct answer because the author states that only 17 of the poor, non-Quaker students had 3 or more years of schooling at the Quaker schools. 3 years being the minimum education required to understand the poetry. If the poor, non-Quaker students had some schooling before enrolling in the Quaker school then we know that more than the 17 out of 128 students had 3+ years of education, and can thus understand the poetry.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1013 [2]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Sustainability, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
WE:Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Kudos
roopika2990 wrote:
Can anyone explain the answer for the first question? ...

I'll try to explain this.

15. The primary purpose of the passage is to
A. argue against one aspect of Wulf’s account of how ideas critical of marriage were disseminated among young women in colonial Philadelphia

This is true since disagree with wulf on overstatement on the impact quaker schools had (Line 17-18) he does agree with Wulf on the fact that a critique of patriarchal marriage circulated broadly (34-36)

B. discuss Wulf’s interpretation of the significance for educated young women in colonial Philadelphia of the poetry they copied into their commonplace books

This is not a discussion.

C. counter Wulf’s assertions about the impact of the multiethnic character of colonial Philadelphia’s population on the prevalent views about marriage

Quite clear that this is not the answer.

D. present data to undermine Wulf’s assessment of the diversity of the student body in Quaker schools in colonial Philadelphia

Al though the author does present data the primary objective is not to undermine the assessment of the quaker school body diversity.

E. challenge Wulf’s conclusion that a critique of marriage was prevalent among young women of all social classes in colonial Philadelphia

The author does not challenge this,. He in fact supports this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Given Kudos: 418
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
Send PM
Could you explain me the answer choices of Questions 3 and 4.

My answers are B and C/E(I was confused between these two options) , but the OA is D and B .

mikemcgarry

Warm regards ,
Kritesh Singh
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3379 [3]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
1)The key is the first sentence of the second paragraph: "Wulf overstates the Quaker school's impact" - this critique of Wulf focuses on schools - the vehicle of 'dissemination'. A is correct.
2)A, B, D, and E are not supported by the passage - only C is.
A - contradicts the argument in the second paragraph.
B - no information to support this idea - the attitudes may have been disparate within and without the schools
D - not supported by the passage.
E - the reverse of what is claimed in para 1, that ideas came from the elites to the population at large.
3)A is not implied in the passage. B - contradicts what is explicitly stated in para 1. C - contradicts the passage. E - not supported in the passage. The poetry did not celebrate alternative beliefs, but rather simply criticized marriage. This leaves D - which corresponds to the author's critique of Wulf's theory, articulated in para 2.
4)B is correct because the critique states the the poor women would have needed higher literacy, but if we establish that the poor women did indeed have a higher level, this would undermine the author's claim that Wulf had 'overstated' (=exaggerated) the influence of the Quaker schools.
A - is incorrect because the data on affiliation and gender has no bearing on the impact of schools, which is due to the accessibility of the poetry. The critique does not claim that these groups of women never met.
C is incorrect because it is sufficient for some of the women to have been Quakers for the ideas to be disseminated via schools.
D - this statement supports, rather than undermines the author's critique of Wulf (that the poetry would have been inaccessible)
E - This supports Wulf's theory, but does not undermine the critique. The critique could claim that regardless of how many women attended the schools - the poetry was inaccessible to them.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi I have a question regarding question 4
Why option E is incorrect .
If the number of non quaker poor girls were more then the school must have provide them the poetry books critical of marriage.
Am i right ?
Please explain.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 2.61
Send PM
VeritasKarishma, GMATNinja, @micmcgarry
Please refer the passage for the part : "Here Wulf probably overstates Quaker schools??? impact. At least three years??? study would be (20) necessary to achieve the literacy competence necessary to grapple with the material she analyzes"

I infer that "three years??? study" is talking about the duration required to understand the critique. However, one doubt came to me after seeing the OA for Question 4, in which the OA talks about the education part but it doesn't specifically talks about the education with respect to the critique. I find OA strange as per the above logic. Clarify.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Swat40 wrote:
VeritasKarishma, GMATNinja, @micmcgarry
Please refer the passage for the part : "Here Wulf probably overstates Quaker schools??? impact. At least three years??? study would be (20) necessary to achieve the literacy competence necessary to grapple with the material she analyzes"

I infer that "three years??? study" is talking about the duration required to understand the critique. However, one doubt came to me after seeing the OA for Question 4, in which the OA talks about the education part but it doesn't specifically talks about the education with respect to the critique. I find OA strange as per the above logic. Clarify.

In the lines of the passage that you're referencing here, "the material she analyzes" refers directly to the critique (which was written down in commonplace books used in Quaker schools).

The author concludes that Wulf probably overstates Quaker schools' impact on bringing this critique to poor female students of diverse backgrounds. The author reaches this conclusion based on a belief that at least three years' study would be necessary in order to grapple with this material (in other words, in order to read the books and comprehend their meaning).

If choice (B) were true, it would add evidence that the students in question could have acquired the level of literacy the the author believes was required to grapple with the material (partially before enrolling in a Quaker school, partially after enrolling). That's how (B) undermines this particular conclusion from the author.

I hope this helps to clarify!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 238 [1]
Given Kudos: 1103
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinjaTwo GMATNinja

Hi GMATNinja,
I was wondering could you please explain why option D is correct for Q3? I chose option E instead. The question asks about poetry that is strictly mentioned in passage 1. I can see why option D is correct but for that we are also including passage 2 as well to take into the author's claim that students didn't have enough years of literacy to comprehend the poetry fully. My reasoning for option E was the following sentence "Wulf argues that educated young women, particularly (5) Quakers, engaged in resistance to patriarchal marriage by exchanging poetry critical of marriage, copying verse into their commonplace books". Can't we infer that the poetry had some elements to it that led to the resistance of the patriarchal marriage? I am not able to understand how option D is correct if we are strictly talking about passage 1?

If you could please shed some light on this, I would greatly appreciate it!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [7]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos