Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:37 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA Level 2 Candidate
Own Kudos [?]: 1262 [44]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance
Schools:RD 2: Darden Class of 2012
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [14]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1492 [6]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V28
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: To this day, researchers and theorists debate whether bubonic plague c [#permalink]
What is the specific rule regarding the phrase "whether or not" ? In this example, the explanation says that whether is the correct phrase and that "whether or not" is redundant.

Here is another example used on the GMAT SC

"Whether or not the board understands the ramifications of the proposal depends on how clearly the costs and benefits are laid out in the presentation this afternoon."

So why is it okay to use "whether or not" here but not in the OP?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: To this day, researchers and theorists debate whether bubonic plague c [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
"whether or not" is always wrong. It is considered redundant on the GMAT. Whether is the correct choice. Collect your points and move on.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [3]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Cares wrote:
What is the specific rule regarding the phrase "whether or not" ? In this example, the explanation says that whether is the correct phrase and that "whether or not" is redundant.

Here is another example used on the GMAT SC

"Whether or not the board understands the ramifications of the proposal depends on how clearly the costs and benefits are laid out in the presentation this afternoon."

So why is it okay to use "whether or not" here but not in the OP?

I agree with roboas - "Whether or not" is consistently viewed as redundant on the GMAT and therefore incorrect (one of the few times you will use concision to make eliminations on Sentence Correction).

Did the 2nd example you cited come from the OG? If so, is "whether or not" part of the underlined portion?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 778 [3]
Given Kudos: 38
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Eliminate C (you debate something, not about something), D, and E.

A or B.

I went with B here and am happy to have learned that "whether or not" is always incorrect on the GMAT!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 274 [2]
Given Kudos: 34
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi GMATers,

I came across the below in the free MGMAT CAT and wouldn't mind your view on it.

To this day, researchers and theorists debate whether bubonic plague caused The Black Death, a pandemic that swept the world in the middle of the fourteenth century.

whether
whether or not
about whether
as to whether
if

The official answer is (a) for it's concision, but I put (b) on the idea that 'whether or not' is an idiom. So what I'm trying to get my head around is in situations where concision can occur without prejudicing meaning, or an idiom if offered, what trumps what?

Thanks

B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [4]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
WE:Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
When people debate things, they argue different sides of an issue. The or not is not needed because the issue of "whether" only has two sides, so it's not necessary to say "whether or not."

For example:
They are debating the legitimacy of the law. (This is a two-sided issue, but it's not necessary to say "the legitimacy or illegitimacy.")
They are debating the legality of his actions. (This is a two-sided issue, but it's not necessary to say "legality or illegality.")
They are debating which color is the best. (This issue has more than two sides.)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 274 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
Thanks NonYankee. I can see what you're saying, if a debate/decision/choice etc is binary, the or not
isn't necessary because its implied. In other words if not one, it must be the other.... and I actually agree. But my question is more about the conflict between an idiom ('whether or not') and the concision. Many idioms are not the most concise way of presenting an idea.

Perhaps it would be useful to outline what I think an idiom is (because I'm more than likely wrong): An idiom is a nuance of a language that allows us to speak/write in a way that isn't strictly grammatically correct.

I read your 800 debrief the other day too, well done!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Send PM
bradfris wrote:
Thanks NonYankee. I can see what you're saying, if a debate/decision/choice etc is binary, the or not
isn't necessary because its implied. In other words if not one, it must be the other.... and I actually agree. But my question is more about the conflict between an idiom ('whether or not') and the concision. Many idioms are not the most concise way of presenting an idea.

Perhaps it would be useful to outline what I think an idiom is (because I'm more than likely wrong): An idiom is a nuance of a language that allows us to speak/write in a way that isn't strictly grammatically correct.

Thanks, I hope you found my debrief interesting! Regarding idioms, we're in a same boat (pardon the idiom). I remember seeing "idiom" used as part of a SC answer explanation in OG 12. The sentence said something like the supreme court declared (something) unconstitutional, but the correct answer inverted the structure to be the supreme court declared unconstitutional (something) because the "something" was a long, complex phrase. I had never thought of declaring something unconstitutional as idiomatic, but I guess that goes to show my understanding of idioms (in a linguistic sense) is quite limited. I grew up thinking idioms were simply the phrases misunderstood by Amelia Bedilia.

The GMAT SC guidelines are something like the following (this is not necessarily the most current wording):
Choose the answer that produces the most effective sentence; this answer should be clear and exact, without awkwardness, ambiguity, redundancy, or grammatical error.

Per those instructions, I don't think there's ever a time it would be desirable to add unneeded words to make something idiomatic. Knowledge of idioms would be helpful in knowing whether something is free of grammatical error, however.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Send PM
NonYankee wrote:
bradfris wrote:

Thanks, I hope you found my debrief interesting! Regarding idioms, we're in a same boat (pardon the idiom). I remember seeing "idiom" used as part of a SC answer explanation in OG 12. The sentence said something like the supreme court declared (something) unconstitutional, but the correct answer inverted the structure to be the supreme court declared unconstitutional (something) because the "something" was a long, complex phrase. I had never thought of declaring something unconstitutional as idiomatic, but I guess that goes to show my understanding of idioms (in a linguistic sense) is quite limited. I grew up thinking idioms were simply the phrases misunderstood by Amelia Bedilia.

The GMAT SC guidelines are something like the following (this is not necessarily the most current wording):
Choose the answer that produces the most effective sentence; this answer should be clear and exact, without awkwardness, ambiguity, redundancy, or grammatical error.

Per those instructions, I don't think there's ever a time it would be desirable to add unneeded words to make something idiomatic. Knowledge of idioms would be helpful in knowing whether something is free of grammatical error, however.

Is 'as to whether ’ incorrect due to wordy/redundancy?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [2]
Send PM
Kudos