Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [7]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 187 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Re: Verbal: RC help! [#permalink]
hey Mr. rhyme, I would like to take the time to thank you for elaborating on this foolproof method. I tried it just now on a RC practice set from PowerPrep and it did wonders for me. I only got 3 questions wrong out of the 18, but on those I got wrong I managed to narrow down the correct choice to only two. And in comparison to how I did in other RC practice sets... it's really that much better.

I know that with practice I can master this skill - I'm still taking too many notes while paraphrasing the 1st paragraph. Ironically, you're not supposed to understand that which the passage is explaining, but the "skimming-note-taking" makes it so much easier I end up understanding the passage fully by the latter questions.

A useful tip: check the keywords used in the question stem/answer choices. They act as red flags!

Of course I did these passages with no time constraints but then again, with practice it will be cake.

Thanks again, man.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1927 [0]
Send PM
Re: [#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
HOW TO DESTROY READING COMPREHENSION PASSAGES BY RHYME
You know those questions about "The author infers....." or "It can be inferred...." ?

I'm going to try and find an example of this tonight if I can, but when they say that, they really DONT want you to infer much. They really just want you to find what the author said. I can't explain this very well without an example, but I will look for one. If anyone knows of one in the book somewhere, just PM me it or give me a page/probl # or post it here.

Hope, you still visit GMATClub. Thanks for your strategy. However, it will be greater if you tell about the rest of RC, the INFERENCE.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [5]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Lexis, I'd be happy to but its been like two years since I took the GMAT, so I really don't remember the details.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
Attn: rhyme

Nice strategy. I tried it and it really helps in most of the questions. But I want to ask something. Is it necessary to write down the 1st para and 1 line of others para's in our words. Why to waste time on writing? It takes around 2 min. Rather I will go for writing the key words...skimmming and read the 1st para and 1st line of other paras to save my time.

Bcoz this writing will help in general question only and w can answer it by ref. to passage and reading each one thereby wasting time to write.

Please help me out !!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
unconventional but viable approach to crack rc......
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [2]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Great thread. I thought I'd bump this one too.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
 Q48  V27
Send PM
Nice tips!! Though I am sure I am not gonna be feeling confident enough to go with it for the whole exam. I will practice it and during the exam, if running low on time, will definitely apply this technique.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Hi,

Very Thanks!

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Hi alfa_beta01, even i am bad in RC, infact whole verbal.. :-), ultimatly everything boils down to how much do you understand or comprehend, whether it is SC, CR or RC.

i dont know the post, but somebody had given strategy on verbal, where his one word 'SLOWDOWN' .. :-) is very important, make sure u understand what u r reading, dont be in hurry to complete the passage, yes offcourse dont take too much of time also.unless you actually comprehend/understand what is there in every para and overll main idea, you will make mistakes. for some question like detail of specific information you have to revisit the passage, but where i will find the information, so for that when u read do make sure each para, what it talks about.

rest you got so many post already to improve. practice hard.. :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
oki i will try this method : i've nothing to lose and i really need to improve my RC skills...
But i think it will take some tme to read like that...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 365 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Amazing explanation from rhyme !!! Wow!! I'm impressed.

I have maximum difficulties to have a good score on RC, even if all the other domains (quant / RC / SC) are good.
This approach is just great. I followed his advice on his text and this is just clear.

I'm going to take a few days to work with this method, which definitely saves time. (If I have bad results, at least I will have dedicated less time lol).

I'll give you my feedback in a few days.
Knewton GMAT Representative
Affiliations: Knewton, Inc.
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [8]
 Q47  V50
Send PM
Kudos