Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:07 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Parallelismx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3077 [198]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [54]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [13]
Given Kudos: 20
 Q49  V41
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [3]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Re: More and more in recent years, cities are stressing the arts as a mean [#permalink]
Kudos
I think the Answer is A.

Find the actions the city is doing. Cities are stressing and investing.

The verbs, when used together with one subject, must be parallel. Only A & B make this parallel. B uses "development economically", which sounds ok, but in English we usually put our adjectives BEFORE the modified noun.

x2suresh wrote:
OG 60)
More and more in recent years, cities are stressing the arts as a means to greater economic development and investing millions of dollars in cultural activities, despite strained municipal budgets and fading federal support.
(A) to greater economic development and investing
(B) to greater development economically and investing
(C) of greater economic development and invest
(D) of greater development economically and invest
(E) for greater economic development and the investment of
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [7]
Given Kudos: 20
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: More and more in recent years, cities are stressing the arts as a mean [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
pierrealexandre77 wrote:
More and more in recent years, cities are stressing the arts as a means to greater economic development and investing millions of dollars in cultural activities, despite strained municipal budgets and fading federal support.

The key here is parallelism. Cities are "stressing" and "investing". So eliminate C, D and E.
"Greater economic development" is better than "greater development economically". Greater is an adjective here. Eliminate B.

Answer is A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 878 [3]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-06-2013
WE:Programming (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos

a) to greater economic development and investing ---> CORRECT

b) to greater development economically and investing ---> Change in meaning. This incorrectly means "cities are stressing the arts economically". Instead it should mean, arts are a mean to greater economic development

c) of greater economic development and invest --> "as a means to" is the correct idiom. Moreover this option has parallelism error. "Stressing" is not parallel to "invest"

d) of greater development and invest --> "as a means to" is the correct idiom. Moreover this option has parallelism error. "Stressing" is not parallel to "invest"

e) for greater development and the investment of --> "as a means to" is the correct idiom. Moreover this option has parallelism error. "Stressing" is not parallel to " the investment of"
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10010 [1]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
swarnav999 wrote:

a) to greater economic development and investing
b) to greater development economically and investing
c) of greater economic development and invest
d) of greater development and invest
e) for greater development and the investment of

Choice A

Grammer Analysis :- The main subject cities is followed by two predicates. are stressing ....... and investing millions.......... both of which are in present continuous tense.
We already know from the context of the sentence that both the actions are happening in the same time frame recent years, so we do not have any need to change the tense of the second verb investing.
Hence the original sentence is correct as written.

Lets analyze the other choices.

B) In original sentence economic used as an adjective and modifies the noun development. Here economically works as an adverb and has no logical referent.

C) This choice converts the second predicate in simple present tense, which is unnecessary and awkward tense shift.

D) The same reason cited in choice C. Moreover this choice omits the adjective economic. Hence the sentence means Arts are means of development. The development can be of any type. e.g. cultural, economic etc. As per the original meaning Arts are means of economic development, which is not consistent with the meaning conveyed by this choice. Hence this is another reason to eliminate this choice.

E) This choice changes the entire meaning of the sentence. Arts are the means of economic development and investments of millions of dollars. Well, The arts are not any investment.... :)

Hope that helps! :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2284 [1]
Given Kudos: 740
GPA: 3.21
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
egmat wrote:
Hi,

I received a PM to clarify if we can solve this problem without the knowledge of correct idiom.

The answer to that question is, Yes. We can arrive at the correct answer choice purely on the basis of parallelism.
Let’s bring the problem and the answer choices here:

Let’s analyze each choice on the basis of parallelism.
(A) to greater economic development and investing: Correct. The two entities in the list are “greater economic development” and “investing millions of dollars in cultural activities”.

(B) to greater development economically and investing: Incorrect. “economically” is not the same as “economic”. “economically” means “inexpensively” whereas “economic” means pertaining to the finance.

(C) of greater economic development and invest: Incorrect. “invest” is a verb that cannot be parallel to “greater economic development”.

(D) of greater development economically and invest: Incorrect. Same errors as in choice C.

(E) for greater economic development and the investment of: Incorrect. Here “greater economic development” and “the investment of millions of dollars in cultural activities” are grammatical parallel as both the entities are noun phrases. However, “investing millions of dollars in cultural activities” is more than “the investment of millions of dollars in cultural activities”.

The confusion between A and E can be further resolved much easily if we know the correct idiom pertaining to the use “means”.

The two correct idioms related to “means of” and “means to”.
“means of” = kind of
“means to” = method to achieve

Per the official sentence, the intended meaning is that “arts” is a method to greater economic development and investing lots of money in cultural activities. On this basis, choice A can be selected easily.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hello Shraddha,

In your explanation above

to greater economic development and investing: Correct. The two entities in the list are “greater economic development” and “investing millions of dollars in cultural activities”.

The parallelism is between Cities are stressing....and Cities are investing... ie. Cities are doing 2 things which are stressing on arts as a means to achieve economic development and are investing millions of dollars....

Where as you have looked at greater economic development and investing millions as a part of list....which is not correct.

OG explanation also says that the 2 items parallel are : "stressing and Investing"... Can you please re-check the explanation above...
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi WoundedTiger,

Thanks for pointing this out. I probably forgot to review my answer before submitting it. Indeed, the parallelism is between the two verbs "are stressing" and "(are) investing".

Thanks. :-)
SJ
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2197 [5]
Given Kudos: 298
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Tricky idioms:

as a means to : Outcome/Result
as a means of : action: Not fitting here.
as a means for : Always wrong on Gmat

You can take a note of these Idioms.

As a means to correct, C, D and E are out.

investing Vs Invest Vs Investment only investing is verb and is parallel to stressing(verb), but the decision point between A and B is tricky and need some more insight: Adjective Vs Adverb
economic development Vs Development economically

Economic(adjective) should modify the Noun development as soon as we change it to economically(adverb) it modifies the verb: stressing (it economically) and that doesn't make sense here, changes meaning. We need adjective here not adverb that's the take away.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 275 [0]
Given Kudos: 537
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Chose A. Parallelism is between stressing and investing. I don't agree with e-gmat's answer that economically does not mean financially. I think economically can be used for both finance and not wasteful.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [4]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Ergenekon wrote:
Chose A. Parallelism is between stressing and investing. I don't agree with e-gmat's answer that economically does not mean financially. I think economically can be used for both finance and not wasteful.

Dear Ergenekon,
I got your p.m. and I am happy to respond. :-)

First of all, you may find this blog helpful:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-sente ... al-ending/
The GMAT loves the "economic" vs. "economical" split.

As I think you already appreciate, these two words have very different meanings.
economic = related to the economy, to macro- or microeconomics;
an economic summit
the President's economic policy
the city's economic decisions
(i.e., decisions about money policies, spending, investing, etc.)
economical = thrifty; cost-cutting; designed to save money
an economical restaurant (i.e. one where we can get inexpensive meals)
an economical car (i.e. that doesn't strain the budget of the person who bought it)
the city's economical decisions (i.e. city-wide cost-cutting measures)

Now, I believe your question concerns the adverb, "economically." This adverb corresponds to which adjective? Well, if we think more in terms of the pure mathematical grammatical patterns, then we could start with either adjective and turn it into this adverb. BUT, think about the logic of the word. The word "economic" most often denotes a large-scale process, not necessarily something that is the consequence of the decision of one person or a few people; after all, the economy involves the action of what Adam Smith called the "invisible hand," the emergent properties of the system which arise without anyone having intended them. By contrast, the word "economical" always implies a very specific decision of one person or a group of people.

By far, the most common use of the adverb "economically" would be in the latter context, describing the intentions and goals of the individuals who are in the process of enacting cost-cutting measures. It is conceivable to use the adverb in the former sense, but typically, the actor would a nation or other large group. For example,
India is advancing economically.
In that sense, clearly we discussing the national economy of India, so we are using the adverb in the "economic" sense, not in the "economical" sense.

Now, let's consider this SC question, and choices (A) & (B), which get the parallelism correct:
(A) to greater economic development and investing
(B) to greater development economically and investing

Incidentally, this question also test the very subtle idiom difference of "means of" vs. "means to." See:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-sente ... -means-to/
Obviously, (A) is flawless, but let's ignore that for the moment. What is going on with (B)? Suppose (B) were correct: what would it mean?
.... cities are stressing the arts as a means to greater development economically ....
Notice that, in this (B) version, we have absolutely no idea what kind of development the author has in mind----artistic development? personal development? moral development? spiritual development? The arts are going to support this kind of development, whatever it is, and somehow this connection between the arts and this unspecified development is related to the economic situation of the city. You see, if the development we have in mind is very specifically the development of the city's economy, then we need to use the adjective "economic" to modify development, not the adverb "economically" to modify the verb "are stressing." We are not talking about a variety of "stressing" that is related to the economy; we are trying to talk about a kind of "development" that is related to the economy. When what we want to modify is a noun, not a verb, we need an adjective, not an adverb.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 275 [0]
Given Kudos: 537
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Mike, thanks for your quick reply. My problem with this question was that I could not understand official guide explanation : adverb economically conveys incorrect meaning.
I understand why B is wrong. However, I think economically was used correctly here from the meaning standpoint, it is jut a wrong part of speech. Don't you agree with me?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Given Kudos: 130