Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:19 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618560 [66]
Given Kudos: 81561
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618560 [21]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 358 [18]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg(Evening),Booth (Evening)
 Q51  V34
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: 5 Years
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4074 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Re: Sharing tickets. [#permalink]
Sorry but I do not understand the answer choices. From x to y ?? is it the number of ways?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618560 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Economist wrote:
Sorry but I do not understand the answer choices. From x to y ?? is it the number of ways?

Yes. In which range is the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Nice.... loved this one!

I solved it but it took too much time!
Surely I would have jumped
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 438 [5]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: World Domination, Finance, Political Corporatization, Marketing, Strategy
Schools:LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
 Q47  V32
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
In how many ways 8 different tickets can be distributed between Jane and Bill if each is to receive any even number of tickets and all 8 tickets to be distributed.

(A) From 2 to 6 inclusive.
(B) From 98 to 102 inclusive.
(C) From 122 to 126 inclusive.
(D) From 128 to 132 inclusive.
(E) From 196 to 200 inclusive.

Again what is wrong with my logic?

I can select 0 tickets for Jane and all 8 tickets for Bill. I could repeat the selection and reverse the order between Bill and Jane.

I can select 2 tickets for Jane and 6 tickets for Bill. I could repeat the selection and reverse the order between Bill and Jane.

I can select 4 tickets for Jane and 4 tickets for Bill. I could repeat the selection and reverse the order between Bill and Jane.

Overall 2[ 8C0 + 8C2 + 8C4 ] = 198.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618560 [9]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
SensibleGuy wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
In how many ways 8 different tickets can be distributed between Jane and Bill if each is to receive any even number of tickets and all 8 tickets to be distributed.

(A) From 2 to 6 inclusive.
(B) From 98 to 102 inclusive.
(C) From 122 to 126 inclusive.
(D) From 128 to 132 inclusive.
(E) From 196 to 200 inclusive.

Again what is wrong with my logic?

I can select 0 tickets for Jane and all 8 tickets for Bill. I could repeat the selection and reverse the order between Bill and Jane.

I can select 2 tickets for Jane and 6 tickets for Bill. I could repeat the selection and reverse the order between Bill and Jane.

I can select 4 tickets for Jane and 4 tickets for Bill. I could repeat the selection and reverse the order between Bill and Jane.

Overall 2[ 8C0 + 8C2 + 8C4 ] = 198.

Everything is right, but the red part.

8C4*4C4 is the formula counting # of ways this can be done (B-4 and J-4), we don't need to multiply this by 2.

You don't need to reverse the order in this case as ALL possible scenarios are already covered with 8C4.

You are reversing in scenario 8-0 as you can have 0-8, but in 4-4 it's only one case.

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 438 [1]
Concentration: World Domination, Finance, Political Corporatization, Marketing, Strategy
 Q47  V32
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:

8C4*4C4 is the formula counting # of ways this can be done (B-4 and J-4), we don't need to multiply this by 2.

You don't need to reverse the order in this case as ALL possible scenarios are already covered with 8C4.

You are reversing in scenario 8-0 as you can have 0-8, but in 4-4 it's only one case.

Hope it's clear.

Let me be more clear.

I can select 4 tickets of 8 in 8C4 ways. Remaining 4 tickets will be 4C4 obviously.
After selecting those 4 tickets, I have to select either Bill or Jane as the receiver of the 4 tickets in 2C1 ways. The remaining person is 1C1.
After making the two selections, all possible combinations are 8C4*4C4*2C1*1C1 = 70*2 = 140.

Is there a flaw in my selections?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1005 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
BarneyStinson wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hope it's clear.

Let me be more clear.

I can select 4 tickets of 8 in 8C4 ways. Remaining 4 tickets will be 4C4 obviously.
After selecting those 4 tickets, I have to select either Bill or Jane as the receiver of the 4 tickets in 2C1 ways. The remaining person is 1C1.
After making the two selections, all possible combinations are 8C4*4C4*2C1*1C1 = 70*2 = 140.

Is there a flaw in my selections?

By using 8C4 exclusively, you are already counting the possibility of a specific set of 4 tickets going to either person.

For example, say you had 4 tickets, labeled A, B, C and D.

4C2 = 6
AB, CD
AC, BD
AD, BC

As you can see, it accounts for a specific set of 2 tickets, as well as the complete opposite. By multiplying by a factor of 2, you end up double-counting.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 438 [0]
 Q47  V32
Send PM
AKProdigy87 wrote:
By using 8C4 exclusively, you are already counting the possibility of a specific set of 4 tickets going to either person.
For example, say you had 4 tickets, labeled A, B, C and D.

4C2 = 6
AB, CD
AC, BD
AD, BC

As you can see, it accounts for a specific set of 2 tickets, as well as the complete opposite. By multiplying by a factor of 2, you end up double-counting.

aaaarrrrggghhhhhhhh!!!! I get your point!!!! Damn my awesomeness!!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
hello, so in the end, the answer is 128 right? i got the same answer, using the same solution as atish. i'm just making sure it's the right one.

i'm also wondering as to the answer choices: why the range? shouldn't there be one and only one answer? is there a way to approximate the answer? anyone have any ideas as to approximating this? i solved the problem, but it took me about 4 minutes, which is time i wouldn't have in the actual exam.

cheers!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618560 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
pochcc wrote:
hello, so in the end, the answer is 128 right? i got the same answer, using the same solution as atish. i'm just making sure it's the right one.

i'm also wondering as to the answer choices: why the range? shouldn't there be one and only one answer? is there a way to approximate the answer? anyone have any ideas as to approximating this? i solved the problem, but it took me about 4 minutes, which is time i wouldn't have in the actual exam.

cheers!

Yes, the answer is 128.

Answers are represented as ranges, because there are number of incorrect answers possible and several ranges are needed to cover them all.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 773 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Hey bunuel the question steam says tickets are to distributed such that both get even no. correct me, isnt 0 neither even nor odd? then how can we take the case of 8,0?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618560 [2]
Send PM