Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 381 [35]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618944 [23]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9243 [4]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: If n is a positive integer and r is the remainder when n^2 - 1 is divi [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
I like the approach in the post above best for this problem; when you see something like n^2 - 1 in a GMAT question, it will almost always be useful to use the difference of squares factorization: n^2 - 1 = (n+1)(n-1). A less elegant alternative is to write n = 2k + 1. Then n^2 - 1 = (2k + 1)^2 - 1 = 4k^2 + 4k + 1 - 1 = 4k^2 + 4k = 4(k)(k + 1), and since k and k+1 are consecutive integers, one of them must be divisible by 2, so 4(k)(k + 1) must be divisible by 4*2 = 8.

To answer the question in the original post, if n=1, then n^2 - 1 = 0. So the question becomes, what is the remainder when 0 is divided by 8? Well, 0 is divisible by every positive integer; the quotient is zero and the remainder is zero. If you think back to how you first learned division, this should hopefully be clear: if you have, say, 11 apples and 8 children, we can give each child 1 apple and we have 3 left over, so the quotient is 1 and the remainder is 3 when you divide eleven by eight. If we have 0 apples and 8 children, we can give each child 0 apples and we have 0 left over, so the quotient is 0 and the remainder is 0 when we divide zero by eight.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 381 [0]
Send PM
Re: If n is a positive integer and r is the remainder when n^2 - 1 is divi [#permalink]
Thanks for the great help. :)

But I still feel very confused.
The question is asking "what's the value of r"?
I understand when n is 3,5,7, the r will be 1. However, if n is 1, r will be 0. In this case, we have two answers for r and we can't really tell the exact value for r, right? This is the reason why I don't think the first one work and the answer should be "E". Am I in the right path? :) Thanks for the help again. :)
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9243 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
YTT wrote:
Thanks for the great help. :)

But I still feel very confused.
The question is asking "what's the value of r"?
I understand when n is 3,5,7, the r will be 1. However, if n is 1, r will be 0. In this case, we have two answers for r and we can't really tell the exact value for r, right? This is the reason why I don't think the first one work and the answer should be "E". Am I in the right path? :) Thanks for the help again. :)

No, the remainder will be zero for any of the values 1, 3, 5, or 7 (or for any other odd value of n). If, say, n=5, then n^2 - 1 = 25 - 1 = 24, and the remainder when we divide 24 by 8 is zero.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16650 [18]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V45
GPA: 2.9
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
If n is a positive integer and r is the remainder when n^2 - 1 is [#permalink]
Bookmarks
If n is a positive integer and r is the remainder when n^2 - 1 is divided by 8, what is the value of r?

(1) n is odd
(2) n is not divisible by 8

As the OA is not provided this is how I solved this. Please let me know whether I am right or not.

Considering Statement 1

n =1 then remainder will be zero. ----------------> Is my thinking correct over here? If it is then for me this statement is sufficient to answer the question.

Considering statement 2

There will be different values for r and therefore its insufficient.

Therefore, for me the answer should be A unless someone has any other ideas. Please help.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618944 [0]
Send PM
Re: If n is a positive integer and r is the remainder when n^2 - 1 is [#permalink]
Expert Reply
enigma123 wrote:
If n is a positive integer and r is the remainder when n^2 - 1 is divided by 8, what is the value of r?
1). n is odd
2). n is not divisible by 8

As the OA is not provided this is how I solved this. Please let me know whether I am right or not.

Considering Statement 1

n =1 then remainder will be zero. ----------------> Is my thinking correct over here? If it is then for me this statement is sufficient to answer the question.

Considering statement 2

There will be different values for r and therefore its insufficient.

Therefore, for me the answer should be A unless someone has any other ideas. Please help.

As you can see from my post above answer is indeed A. But you arrived to A while trying only one value for n, which is not enough. For some other question, different values could give different answers and a statement would be insufficient in that case. What I mean is, when you decide that a statement is sufficient based only on plug-in method you should make sure that you tried several different numbers (and saw some pattern maybe), and even in this case you may not be 100% sure that the answer would be correct. Though if several numbers give the same answer and you are able to see some pattern, then you can make an educated guess that a statement is sufficient and move-on.

Generally on DS questions when plugging numbers, your goal is to prove that the statement is not sufficient. So you should try to get an YES answer with one chosen number(s) and a NO with another.

Hope it's clear.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16650 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V45
GPA: 2.9
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: If n is a positive integer and r is the remainder when n^2 - 1 is [#permalink]
Bunuel - its clear apart from one minor doubt. In statement 1 why can't we take n =1 ?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618944 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
enigma123 wrote:
Bunuel - its clear apart from one minor doubt. In statement 1 why can't we take n =1 ?

Actually we can. Solution above does not exclude this possibility: n=1=odd then n^2-1=0 and zero is divisible by any integer (except zero itself), so it's divisible by 8 too. Sufficient.

The point is that you arrived that (1) is sufficient based only on one value of n, n=1. And as I discussed above one value is not enough to conclude that the statement is sufficient.

Hope it helps.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
YTT wrote:

(1) n is odd

Could anyone explain to me why the number 1 would work in the first situation? I understand why 3, 5, 7 or others work. But why 1 works, too? Thank you so much for this great help!!

Please check the solution in the file attached
Attachments

File comment: www.GMATinsight.com
SOL.jpg
SOL.jpg [ 124.97 KiB | Viewed 14685 times ]

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29925 [1]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
enigma123 wrote:

(1) n is odd

Given: r is the remainder when (n² - 1) is divided by 8

Target question: What is the value of r?

Statement 1: n is odd
Let's test some ODD values of n
If n = 1, then n² - 1 = 1² - 1 = 0, and 0 divided by 8 leaves remainder 0. So, the answer to the target question is r = 0
If n = 3, then n² - 1 = 3² - 1 = 8, and 8 divided by 8 leaves remainder 0. So, the answer to the target question is r = 0
If n = 5, then n² - 1 = 5² - 1 = 24, and 24 divided by 8 leaves remainder 0. So, the answer to the target question is r = 0
If n = 7, then n² - 1 = 7² - 1 = 48, and 0 divided by 8 leaves remainder 0. So, the answer to the target question is r = 0
At this point, we might conclude that r will ALWAYS be 0
So, statement 1 is SUFFICIENT

----ASIDE--------------------------------
If you're not convinced, here's an algebraic solution as well:
If n is ODD, then n = 2k + 1 (for some integer value of k)
So, n² - 1 = (2k + 1)² - 1 = 4k² + 4k + 1 - 1 = 4k² + 4k = 4(k² + k)

Notice that, if k is odd, then k² + k is EVEN, which means k² + k = 2 times some integer
So, n² - 1 = 4(k² + k) = 4(2 times some integer) = 8 times some integer
In other words, n² - 1 is a multiple of 8, which means the answer to the target question is r = 0

Similarly, if k is even, then k² + k is EVEN, which means k² + k = 2 times some integer
So, n² - 1 = 4(k² + k) = 4(2 times some integer) = 8 times some integer
In other words, n² - 1 is a multiple of 8, which means the answer to the target question is r = 0

In both cases, the answer to the target question is r = 0
Since we can answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is SUFFICIENT
------------------------------------------

Statement 2: n is not divisible by 8
There are several values of n that satisfy statement 2. Here are two:
Case a: n = 3. In this case, n² - 1 = 3² - 1 = 8, and 8 divided by 8 leaves remainder 0. So, the answer to the target question is r = 0
Case b: n = 4. In this case, n² - 1 = 4² - 1 = 15, and 15 divided by 8 leaves remainder 7. So, the answer to the target question is r = 7
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer: A

Cheers,
Brent
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3964 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
YTT wrote:

(1) n is odd

Could anyone explain to me why the number 1 would work in the first situation? I understand why 3, 5, 7 or others work. But why 1 works, too? Thank you so much for this great help!!

Asked: If n is a positive integer and r is the remainder when n^2 - 1 is divided by 8, what is the value of r?

(1) n is odd
n = 2m + 1
n^2 - 1 = (2m+1)^2 - 1 = 4m^2 + 4m = 4m(m+1)
The remainder when n^2 - 1 is divided by 8 = 0 = r
SUFFICIENT

If n= 5; n^2 - 1 = 24; r = 0
If n=6; n^2 - 1 = 35; r = 3
NOT SUFFICIENT

IMO A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
If n is a positive integer and r is the remainder when n^2 - 1 is [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:

n^2-1=(n-1)(n+1)

(1) n is odd --> both n-1 and n+1 are even. Moreover, they are consecutive even integers thus one of them is divisible by 4 too. Now, as one is divisible by 2 and another by 4 then (n-1)(n+1) is divisible by 2*4=8. Sufficient.

(2) n is not divisible by 8 --> try n=1 to get an YES answer and n=2 to get a NO answer. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

Hi,
What if n = 1, n-1 = 0, n+1 = 2? So how will (n-1)(n+1) be divisible by 8?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618944 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
SohamS wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

n^2-1=(n-1)(n+1)

(1) n is odd --> both n-1 and n+1 are even. Moreover, they are consecutive even integers thus one of them is divisible by 4 too. Now, as one is divisible by 2 and another by 4 then (n-1)(n+1) is divisible by 2*4=8. Sufficient.

(2) n is not divisible by 8 --> try n=1 to get an YES answer and n=2 to get a NO answer. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

Hi,
What if n = 1, n-1 = 0, n+1 = 2? So how will (n-1)(n+1) be divisible by 8?

Yes.

Zero is divisible by every integer (except zero itself, as division by zero is not allowed).

Integer \(a\) is divisible by integer \(b\) means that \(\frac{a}{b}=integer\) (so remainder is zero).

So, as 0/(any non-zero integer) = 0 = integer, then 0 is divisible by any non-zero integer, including 8.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92912 posts