Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [55]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618964 [28]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [7]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Re: If the parabola represented by f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c passes [#permalink]
@bunnuel i have dited my post for the st I ..it was a typo error i am sorry abt that

it is f(-1) > f(-2)

i am not clear as to how did u get the vertex as x=1 :(
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618964 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
apoorvasrivastva wrote:
@bunnuel i have dited my post for the st I ..it was a typo error i am sorry abt that

it is f(-1) > f(-2)

i am not clear as to how did u get the vertex as x=1 :(

Intersection points of parabola with x-axis are \((-3,0)\) and \((5,0)\):

-----(-3)--0----(5)---, as parabola is symmetric, the x coordinate of the vertex must be halfway between \(x=-3\) and \(x=5\) --> \(x=\frac{-3+5}{2}=1\). As parabola is downward, \(f(x)\) naturally will have it's max values at vertex \(x=1\), \(f(1)\).

As for the typo in the stem. If I is saying: \(f(-1) > f(-2)\), then it's true as \(x=-1\) is closer to \(x=1\), than \(x=-2\), which means that \(f(-1)>f(-2)\).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q50  V38 GMAT 2: 770  Q50  V45
Send PM
amazing explanation Bunuel. I would normally have found a, b and c and then solved. Thanks for showing me the way to think more than the way you solved the problem.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
apoorvasrivastva wrote:
If the parabola represented by f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c passes through points (-3,0) , (0,3) and (5,0), which of the following must be true?

I f(-1) > f(2)
II f(1) > f(0)
III f(2) > f(1)

A. only I
B. only II
c. only III
D. I and II
E. I and III

please suggest me as to how do i crack this question in 2 mints..i am completely lost on this :(

OA is

Answer to this question cannot be D, it should be B (II only).

To solve this question you don't need to calculate a, b, and c. We should put the given three points on the XY-plane and we'll get: parabola \(f(x)=ax^2+bx+c\) will have the vertex at \(x=1\), halfway between \(x=-3\) and \(x=5\), as \(f(-3)=0=f(5)\). Plus, as \(f(0)=3\) the parabola would be downward. As the parabola is downward, value of f(x) at x=1, f(1), is the the greatest value of f(x). As we move from x=1 to either of direction the value of f(x) will decrease. So any \(f(m)\) would be greater than \(f(n)\) if \(m\) is closer to \(x=1\) than \(n\). For example \(f(9)>f(10)>f(-12)\) or \(f(6)=f(-4)\) or \(f(-5)=f(7)>f(-100)\).

Hence
I. \(f(-1)>f(2)\) is false, as \(x=2\) is 1 farther from \(x=1\) and \(x=-1\) is 2 farther than \(x=1\). (True inequality would be \(f(-1)<f(2)\)).

II. \(f(1)>f(0)\) is true as \(f(1)\) is vertex and more than any \(f(x)\).

III. \(f(2)>f(1)\) is false as no \(f(x)\) is more than \(f(1)\). (The correct would be \(f(2)<f(1)\)).

Hope it's clear.

HI Bunuel,

Please explain the red part , what i understood from making graph , if we move left from the axis point certainly value of f(x) decreases but if we move right side from the axis where x =1, value of f(x) will increase till certain point and then will decrease, so how can we deduce that value of f(x) is max at x =1
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618964 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
vipulgoel wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
apoorvasrivastva wrote:
If the parabola represented by f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c passes through points (-3,0) , (0,3) and (5,0), which of the following must be true?

I f(-1) > f(2)
II f(1) > f(0)
III f(2) > f(1)

A. only I
B. only II
c. only III
D. I and II
E. I and III

please suggest me as to how do i crack this question in 2 mints..i am completely lost on this :(

OA is

To solve this question you don't need to calculate a, b, and c. We should put the given three points on the XY-plane and we'll get: parabola \(f(x)=ax^2+bx+c\) will have the vertex at \(x=1\), halfway between \(x=-3\) and \(x=5\), as \(f(-3)=0=f(5)\). Plus, as \(f(0)=3\) the parabola would be downward. As the parabola is downward, value of f(x) at x=1, f(1), is the the greatest value of f(x). As we move from x=1 to either of direction the value of f(x) will decrease. So any \(f(m)\) would be greater than \(f(n)\) if \(m\) is closer to \(x=1\) than \(n\). For example \(f(9)>f(10)>f(-12)\) or \(f(6)=f(-4)\) or \(f(-5)=f(7)>f(-100)\).

Hence
I. \(f(-1)>f(2)\) is false, as \(x=2\) is 1 farther from \(x=1\) and \(x=-1\) is 2 farther than \(x=1\). (True inequality would be \(f(-1)<f(2)\)).

III. \(f(2)>f(1)\) is false as no \(f(x)\) is more than \(f(1)\). (The correct would be \(f(2)<f(1)\)).

Hope it's clear.

HI Bunuel,

Please explain the red part , what i understood from making graph , if we move left from the axis point certainly value of f(x) decreases but if we move right side from the axis where x =1, value of f(x) will increase till certain point and then will decrease, so how can we deduce that value of f(x) is max at x =1

Check below:
Attachment:
parabola.png
parabola.png [ 11.58 KiB | Viewed 10264 times ]

Also check parabola chapter HERE.

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Schools: ISB '18
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
apoorvasrivastva wrote:

I f(-1) > f(2)
II f(1) > f(0)
III f(2) > f(1)

A. only I
B. only II
c. only III
D. I and II
E. I and III

OA is

Hence

Hope it's clear.

Wonderful approach! thanks a lot! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
apoorvasrivastva wrote:

I f(-1) > f(2)
II f(1) > f(0)
III f(2) > f(1)

A. only I
B. only II
c. only III
D. I and II
E. I and III

OA is

Hence

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel, could you please explain the highlighted part. How do we infer that parabola is downward? According to theory we only know that parabola is downward if a<0.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618964 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mehemmed wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
apoorvasrivastva wrote:

I f(-1) > f(2)
II f(1) > f(0)
III f(2) > f(1)

A. only I
B. only II
c. only III
D. I and II
E. I and III

OA is

Hence

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel, could you please explain the highlighted part. How do we infer that parabola is downward? According to theory we only know that parabola is downward if a<0.

Hint: put the given three points on the plane,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Send PM
I got it. We can know it when putting all the 3 points on a plane. I thought there's another special way. Thanks
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [0]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
Concept: Once you find the Line of Symmetry of a Downward Opening Parabola, the X Coordinate at this Vertex will give you the HIGHEST VALUE that f(x) = y can have

Rule: to find the Line of Symmetry of a Parabola (in which everything on the Left Side of the Axis/Line is a "MIRROR REFLECTION" of all the Points on the Right Side), find the MID-POINT between the X-Intercepts that cross the X-Axis

between (-3 , 0) and (+5 , 0) ---- the Line of Symmetry will occur at the Vertical Line of: X = +1

Also, since this is a Downward Opening Parabola, the Vertex at f(+1) will also provide the HIGHEST VALUE of y

I. f(-1) > f(2)

f(-1) is +2 Units to the LEFT of the Highest Value at the Vertex f(+1)

However, f(2) is only +1 Unit to the RIGHT of the Highest Value at the Vertex f(+1)

the Value of f(2) will be GREATER than the Value of f(-1)

NOT True

II. f(1) > f(0)

The Highest Value will occur at the Vertex, when X =+1, because this is a Downward Opening Parabola.

Thus f(1) will be greater than any other Value

TRUE

III. f(2) > f(1)

As stated above, the Highest Value will occur at the Vertex when the X-Coordinate is +1 (at the Line of Symmetry) because this is a Downward Opening Parabola.

thus: f(2) < f(1)

III is NOT True

ONLY II must be True

-B-
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92914 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts