Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:20 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [2]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 517 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [1]
 Q48  V51
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
Re: Calling all Fall 2011 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink]
shadowsjc wrote:
if i remember correctly, several people got into their third or fourth schools last year. i have read conflicting statements about whether a school knows where you ranked them prior to admitting you. my original knowledge was that schools have no knowledge of where you ranked them, so if you ranked a school 5th or 1st, they would have no way of knowing. the only point at which they know is after admitting you, when they have the option to award you the fellowship.

however, at least one or 2 accounts have been in direct conflict with this viewpoint. at the very least, know that your first choice school has first dibs on offering you the fellowship. if they decline, then the next highest ranked school may offer it to you. you may only receive one fellowship offer though, so if your #1 offers you a fellowship, then #2 or #3 may not.

i will be at the Orientation Program this weekend where i will meet with reps from various schools, as well as from the consortium itself. i'll try to get a firm answer to eliminate any ambiguity in the admissions process.

Yes that would be great. On a side note, I am curious about this in terms of the decision process and not so much in the fellowship awards.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
 Q48  V51
Send PM
in addition to Berkeley-Haas, I had neglected to note that UCLA-Anderson is also going to become a member school as of July 1st. I've added both programs to the 1st post
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: NABA, AKA
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Management, Wealth Management, Commercial Banking
Schools:Booth (Accepted + 60K!), Kellogg (Accepted + 70K!), Stanford (Ding), Duke (Withdrawn)
 Q45  V41
Send PM
How many recommendations does the Consortium ask for?
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Consortium for Graduate Study in Management Fellow, Class of 2012
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Brand Management, Global Marketing, International Business
Schools:Goizueta Business School-Emory University
Send PM
It asks for three recommendations, two professional and one in support of the Consortium's mission.

Sweetshel86 wrote:
How many recommendations does the Consortium ask for?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Stanford, Haas, Stern
Send PM
Hi,

I applied last year to Stern. I was waitlisted and then denied admission. Just wanted to introduce myself. I will be applying to several schools this year through the Consortium.

Regarding the rankings ... so if I were to rank a school #1 and they did not get me the fellowship would my #2 ranked school know that they were ranked #2 and would that negatively impact their decision to award me the fellowship. Also, based on the blog last year I saw very few people receive fellowships at Stern. Do you concur with that moderator?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
 Q48  V51
Send PM
mbaTime wrote:
Hi,

I applied last year to Stern. I was waitlisted and then denied admission. Just wanted to introduce myself. I will be applying to several schools this year through the Consortium.

Regarding the rankings ... so if I were to rank a school #1 and they did not get me the fellowship would my #2 ranked school know that they were ranked #2 and would that negatively impact their decision to award me the fellowship. Also, based on the blog last year I saw very few people receive fellowships at Stern. Do you concur with that moderator?

i think that overall, fewer scholarships were given out. i remember reading a statistic that the previous year, about 60% of students received a fellowship. i dont know what this year will turn out to be, but if i had to bet, i'd say it was a lot less than half.

the #2 ranked school would definitely know they were ranked #2, but i dont know if that would negatively impact their decision. if anything, it might help it. i guess it depends on the specific situation.

i don't know how many people from Stern got the fellowship. at the OP conference a few weeks ago, they were definitely one of the best represented schools, and had 30+ students in their consortium class.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
shadowsjc wrote:
mbaTime wrote:
Hi,

i think that overall, fewer scholarships were given out. i remember reading a statistic that the previous year, about 60% of students received a fellowship. i dont know what this year will turn out to be, but if i had to bet, i'd say it was a lot less than half.

the #2 ranked school would definitely know they were ranked #2, but i dont know if that would negatively impact their decision. if anything, it might help it. i guess it depends on the specific situation.

i don't know how many people from Stern got the fellowship. at the OP conference a few weeks ago, they were definitely one of the best represented schools, and had 30+ students in their consortium class.

Thanks for the response. Do they publish statistics for how many people recieved fellowships (total and each school) at some point. I am trying to decide how to rank my schools when I apply.

Thanks again!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
The Consortium does publish statistics on fellowships. If you are interested in a particular school, you can also see how many students received Consortium fellowships vs other merit based scholarships on the school's website. I am a Consortium student (Class 2012), and was able to read on past distribution of scholarships for many schools. You have to do some research but will find all the information you need. Keep in mind that, as already mentioned, overall fewer scholarships were awarded through CGSM last year.

Good luck

mbaTime wrote:
shadowsjc wrote:
mbaTime wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the response. Do they publish statistics for how many people recieved fellowships (total and each school) at some point. I am trying to decide how to rank my schools when I apply.

Thanks again!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I applied last year to Haas through the standard application. I am planning to apply this year through the CGSM. Any ideas about this process of reapplying but through CGSM?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am assuming that you did not get in through standard application last year or did you withdraw your appliation to Haas? In any case, I would recommend that you emphasize how you have improved your candidacy in the last 12 months (e.g higher GMAT scores, better recommendations, social work, job promotion or important extracurricular activities etc) and for the CGSM in particular how you can demonstate your commitment to the CGSM's mission, highly important as this needs to be supported by one of your recommenders in a seperate letter.

Good luck!

mbaTime wrote:
I applied last year to Haas through the standard application. I am planning to apply this year through the CGSM. Any ideas about this process of reapplying but through CGSM?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for the input. I also applied to Stern through CGSM last year and was waitlisted and did not get in. So I think I will reapply and stress, like you said, what I have done in the past year. I have taken some additional coursework and recently been promoted. Any idea when the CGSM application will come out?

nefertiti wrote:
I am assuming that you did not get in through standard application last year or did you withdraw your appliation to Haas? In any case, I would recommend that you emphasize how you have improved your candidacy in the last 12 months (e.g higher GMAT scores, better recommendations, social work, job promotion or important extracurricular activities etc) and for the CGSM in particular how you can demonstate your commitment to the CGSM's mission, highly important as this needs to be supported by one of your recommenders in a seperate letter.

Good luck!

mbaTime wrote:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I don't know when the application will come out but given that the first round deadline is around early November, I would assume to see something around September......or even earlier. Also, if you have time, attend the Consortium application seminars in the fall. I did not make use of them as I was under extreme time constraint, but you may benefit from the seminar in order to strengthen your CGSM application.

Good luck!

mbaTime wrote:
Thanks for the input. I also applied to Stern through CGSM last year and was waitlisted and did not get in. So I think I will reapply and stress, like you said, what I have done in the past year. I have taken some additional coursework and recently been promoted. Any idea when the CGSM application will come out?

nefertiti wrote:

Good luck!

mbaTime wrote:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hi there, I also plan to apply to several school via CSGM...Just wanted to let you guys know that the application will be available sometime around mid August. I called last week and asked!! Good Luck everyone!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kaptnmorgz wrote:
Hi there, I also plan to apply to several school via CSGM...Just wanted to let you guys know that the application will be available sometime around mid August. I called last week and asked!! Good Luck everyone!

Yeah, last year it was out around mid-august and the R1 deadline was November 15th.

How are people thinking to approach ranking the schools?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:dont know yet
Send PM
next week im going to apply to the Consortium.
in the mean time im going to be on this board from time to time.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
 Q42  V39
GPA: 3.41
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services
Send PM
Kudos
Greetings to this year's applicants! I'll do my best to check out this board periodically to help answer questions.

As some background, I applied to 4 schools last year through Consortium. Accepted at my #1, 3, and 4 ranked schools with Fellowships/Scholarships from #3 and #4. I'll be attending Ross this Fall and if anyone has any questions about The Consortium, Ross, or the process in general, I'm happy to help this group out! Feel free to PM me with anything specific.

Best of luck everyone!
VP
VP
Send PM
theoutlawfades wrote:
Greetings to this year's applicants! I'll do my best to check out this board periodically to help answer questions.

As some background, I applied to 4 schools last year through Consortium. Accepted at my #1, 3, and 4 ranked schools with Fellowships/Scholarships from #3 and #4. I'll be attending Ross this Fall and if anyone has any questions about The Consortium, Ross, or the process in general, I'm happy to help this group out! Feel free to PM me with anything specific.

Best of luck everyone!

Is the ranking for fellowships only? Does ranking affect admissions?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  132   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts