Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:57 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [64]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [5]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 580 Q49 V21
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.85
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [2]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Re: Not all employment selection mechanisms that have a “disparate effect, [#permalink]
Kudos
sandeepnerli wrote:
Not all employment selection mechanisms that have a “disparate effect,” that is, that screens out a percentage of minorities or women disproportionate to their presence in the relevant labor market, are unlawful.

Here selection mechanisms is plural hence there should be verb agreement - selection mechanisms that screen out.
So rule out options A, B and E

Now between C and D, which refers to disparate effect and is not correct, hence D. Hope this help (I used POE to get to the answer)

Sandeep

Agree with Sandeep.

Additionally, the correct idiom is disproportionate to something and not disproportionate with something. Hence 'D' out.

C which means, that screen out a percentage of minorities or women disproportionate with
D that is, that screen out a percentage of minorities or women disproportionate to
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Re: Not all employment selection mechanisms that have a “disparate effect, [#permalink]
Kudos
kasulty wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

However, I'm still confused with the "that is" part at the middle of that sentence.

Is it an interjection?

no, 'that is'(i.e.) is not interjection

i.e." is used to specify what your are trying to convey.

Ex:We will have caramel corn, cookies on this spooky night, i.e., Halloween.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
I'll go with D for the below two reasons.
Subject-verb agreement -screen out
Correct idiom - disproportionate to
Posted from my mobile device
Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
Bookmarks
Between C and D
Even if don't know the idiom, I can use pronoun ambiguity to get the answer.

In C "which" is ambiguous.
which means, that screen out a percentage of minorities or women disproportionate with ---> which can refer to effects which is wrong. We are talking about mechanisms.

D it is.

kasulty wrote:
Not all employment selection mechanisms that have a “disparate effect,” that is, that screens out a percentage of minorities or women disproportionate to their presence in the relevant labor market, are unlawful.

A that is, that screens out a percentage of minorities or women disproportionate to
B which means, that screens out a percentage of minorities or women disproportionate with
C which means, that screen out a percentage of minorities or women disproportionate with
D that is, that screen out a percentage of minorities or women disproportionate to
E that is, that screens out a percentage of minorities or women disproportionate with

My choice is A.
I suppose what's following the "that is," should be an explanation to the "disparate effect".

Any ideas?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Bookmarks
The key question is why 'which means' is not allowed here.

There is something we need to settle before the proof:

the main structure of the sentence is: (according to choice A D & E)
not all...mechanisms]--[that have ...effect], --[that is],---[that screen out...],----[are]--[unlawful]
(subject)----------------(1st relative clause)----(parenthesis)-(2nd relative clause)---(be)---(predicative)
there are two parallel relative clauses modifying the subject, namely 'mechanism'.

'that is' is a parenthesis, and it connects two relative clauses.
'that is' = 'that is to say'
and 'that' here refers to the 1st clause.
it means, we can express the meaning of the 1st clause in another way, namely by the 2nd clause
The formal proof of why 'which means' is not allowed here.

Suppose: using 'which means' is allowed here.

claim 1: 'which means' is not a parenthesis.

proof of claim 1

'which' is an interrogative pronoun, not a demonstrative pronoun.
so 'which' cannot refer to the first relative clause.
And we have to regard 'which' as an relative pronoun, which refers to a noun mentioned before, and marks a relative clause.
end of the proof of claim 1.

Therefore, the clause 'that screens out....' is a objective clause, performing as an objective for 'which means'

So 'which means, that screen out....' is a relative clause as a whole, modifying the noun 'disparate effect'.

based on the meaning of the clause 'that screen out...', we know its logic subject is 'mechanism', which is refered to by 'that'.

But 'that' cannot refer to 'mechanisms', because, 'mechanisms' are plural, while 'that' is single.
(here we are no longer dealing with a relative clause, but a objective clause)
We have to use 'those' to refer mechanism.

We we run into a contradiction.

So the supposition that 'which means' is allowed here is false

Originally posted by egoistwlv on 27 Oct 2011, 05:56.
Last edited by egoistwlv on 28 Oct 2011, 09:29, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
 Q49  V35
GPA: 8.03
Send PM
kasulty wrote:

A that is, that screens out a percentage of minorities or women disproportionate to
(mechanisms is plural. Screens is singular)
B which means, that screens out a percentage of minorities or women disproportionate with
(should be disproportionate to)
(same as above)
(Correct Answer)
E that is, that screens out a percentage of minorities or women disproportionate with
(Should be disproportionate to and not disproportionate with)

My choice is A.
I suppose what's following the "that is," should be an explanation to the "disparate effect".

Any ideas?

Hi Kasulty,

The answer to this question is D. Please see my responses above.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Bookmarks
There are two basic splits:
1. that is vs which means - I personally could not decide which is better over another, so I tried to find something else.
2. disproportionate To vs Disproportionate with - Disproportionate to is correct idiom (as per my understanding)
Based on second, B, C, and E are out.

Between A and D, the pronoun That points to mechanisms, which is plural so it should be screen not screens. So i selected D as correct answer.

kasulty wrote:

My choice is A.

Any ideas?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
What does various that refers to in OA
Confused to see too many "that"
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Not all selection mechanisms that have a “disparate effect,” that is, that screens out a percentage of minorities or women disproportionate to their presence in the relevant labor market are unlawful.
1. mechanisms that have – that refers to the mechanisms, hence plural verb ‘have’
2. that is – is an idiom ( as per the Free dictionary), meaning, ‘ in other words’. Sometimes, this is also marked as ‘i.e.’ It seeks to define or explain the term ‘disparate effect’
3. that screens – That refers to the disparate effect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
kasulty wrote:

My choice is A.

Any ideas?

The first choice was to decide between disproportionate to and disproportionate with. Selected disproportionate to so now left with A and D

Substituted D in original sentence and removed unnecessary stuff.

Not all employment selection mechanisms that have a “disparate effect,” that is, that screen out a percentage of minorities or women disproportionate to their presence in the relevant labor market, are unlawful.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 361 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Not all selection mechanisms that have a “disparate effect,” that is, that screens out a percentage of minorities or women disproportionate to their presence in the relevant labor market are unlawful.
1. mechanisms that have – that refers to the mechanisms, hence plural verb ‘have’
2. that is – is an idiom ( as per the Free dictionary), meaning, ‘ in other words’. Sometimes, this is also marked as ‘i.e.’ It seeks to define or explain the term ‘disparate effect’
3. that screens – That refers to the disparate effect.

Thanks Daagh,

In the real GMAT question can we expect this "That is" idiom.
In the examination mode one doesn't quickly grasp this "that is" is idiom "i.e"
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hani
Hi. I don't remember an official question with 'that is'
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Doesn't the underlined portion refer to "disparate effect"? Why is OA D, which has plural verb? How does the underlined portion refer to "mechanisms"?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
manhasnoname wrote:
Doesn't the underlined portion refer to "disparate effect"? Why is OA D, which has plural verb? How does the underlined portion refer to "mechanisms"?

Note the "that" after "that is". Two parallel clauses are linked with "that is":
"that have a “disparate effect” " and "that screen out a percentage" - the phrase "that is" clarifies the meaning of the first clause using the second. The relative pronoun "that" in both these clauses refer to "mechanisms".

If the second "that" (after "that is") were not there, then the succeeding part could refer to "disparate effect”".
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [0]
Given Kudos: 821
GPA: 3.93
Send PM
In C vs D, I eliminated C because of the usage of which.

Which cannot refer to an action as its a noun modifier. However, from the context it seems that "which" modifies (that HAVE a disparate effect), which means ---> WHICH = Having a disparate effect.

So meaning wise, its better to use "i.e. ---> That is" than "which".
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
manhasnoname wrote:

Note the "that" after "that is". Two parallel clauses are linked with "that is":
"that have a “disparate effect” " and "that screen out a percentage" - the phrase "that is" clarifies the meaning of the first clause using the second. The relative pronoun "that" in both these clauses refer to "mechanisms".

If the second "that" (after "that is") were not there, then the succeeding part could refer to "disparate effect”".

Thank you for the explanation. This makes sense. Basically the "that" after "that is" are explaining the clause "employment selection mechanisms that have disparate effect" and not "disparate effect". Since subject of the clause is "employment selective mechanisms" i.e. plural therefore, we need the plural verb i.e. screen.

Good question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM

that is -> idiom - in other words -> both bold that refer to mechanisms.
mechanisms -> screen. SV Error

Which would refer to disparate effect - meaning error

Which would refer to disparate effect - meaning error

Correct

mechanisms -> screen. SV Error
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts