Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [7]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: YourDreamTheater's GMAT story [#permalink]
I've been studying the Q section in great detail, so I decided to take a crack at the second PR CAT.

750 - Q51, V43. I finished the Q section with about 15 minutes to spare, and the V section with about 20 minutes to spare.

I'm pretty happy to see these results on my second CAT. My exam is in a month and I feel like I'm progressing steadily.

My biggest problem in the quant section has always been careless errors. I find the PR exams great for working on careless errors because the questions aren't extremely difficult, but they are graded quite harshly. Through 200 timed questions, I'm averaging about a 98.9% hit rate in OG11 Q section, and I hope that I can maintain this level of performance on the real thing. Overall, I feel extremely confident about quant. I'm going to finish up the OG11 Q section and leave the OG12 Q section for the weeks a bit closer to my exam date.

Now it's time for me to work on verbal. I'm very accurate in the CR section (usually around 95%), but I'm pretty terrible at RC (around 80%). I also need to memorize the idioms list in the MGMAT SC -- I missed a few idioms on this CAT.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72880 [0]
Given Kudos: 18866
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Kudos for the thread - good luck and look forward to hearing more!
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Kudos
awesome score.....good luck
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
YourDreamTheater wrote:
I've been studying the Q section in great detail, so I decided to take a crack at the second PR CAT.

750 - Q51, V43. I finished the Q section with about 15 minutes to spare, and the V section with about 20 minutes to spare.

I'm pretty happy to see these results on my second CAT. My exam is in a month and I feel like I'm progressing steadily.

My biggest problem in the quant section has always been careless errors. I find the PR exams great for working on careless errors because the questions aren't extremely difficult, but they are graded quite harshly. Through 200 timed questions, I'm averaging about a 98.9% hit rate in OG11 Q section, and I hope that I can maintain this level of performance on the real thing. Overall, I feel extremely confident about quant. I'm going to finish up the OG11 Q section and leave the OG12 Q section for the weeks a bit closer to my exam date.

Now it's time for me to work on verbal. I'm very accurate in the CR section (usually around 95%), but I'm pretty terrible at RC (around 80%). I also need to memorize the idioms list in the MGMAT SC -- I missed a few idioms on this CAT.

What :roll: Quant 15 minutes before time & verbal 20 minutes earlier. :shock: Howwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww???????????
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Hussain15 wrote:
What :roll: Quant 15 minutes before time & verbal 20 minutes earlier. :shock: Howwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww???????????

I think that my speed in quant comes from DS problems. I average 100% accuracy on OG DS problems, and I usually solve them in less than one minute. I usually have a pretty good idea of what's wrong in the problem after reading the prompt. I then work out a skeleton of the problem on the paper to double check my work, and then I'm done. I've learned when to do math and when to skip the calculations.

I do believe that it's possible for anyone to get that kind of speed on DS once you get to know all of the problems. GMAC only has so many tricks up its sleeve...

And in Verbal? I've always been a very fast reader. The only problem is that I'm losing some accuracy on RC because of it. I'm going to try to slow WAY down on my next practice CAT. My goal is to get a Q51 V47 split on my next CAT, so I'm going to need to shore up my verbal to do so.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Haven't updated this thread in a while.

I took a few more CAT exams (Princeton Review 3 and 4, MGMAT 1) -- here are my overall scores thus far:

Princeton Review 1 = 710 - Q47 V41
Princeton Review 2 = 750 - Q51 V43
Princeton Review 3 = 690 - Q43 V43 (taken at 11pm after a glass of wine -- whoops!)
Princeton Review 4 = 730 - Q48 V44
MGMAT 1 = 750 - Q48 V45 (one unanswered quant due to weak internet connection)

After taking all of the Princeton Review exams, I can honestly say that they offer great practice for not making stupid mistakes. The exam grades ridiculously harshly -- two or three wrong answers in quant will drop your Q score from a 50 to a 47. The verbal also grades very harshly.

I just took MGMAT's first exam this evening. I found both sections to be extremely difficult, but the grading was much more lenient than Princeton Review's grading. I also had some trouble with my internet connection, which made me unable to answer the last quant question in time. I believe that I would have gotten a much better quant score if not for this connection error.

I've been taking all of my recent practice exams (MGMAT1 and Princeton Review 3-4) in an unfamiliar location and using the MGMAT Test Simulation booklet (https://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-GMAT-Si ... 0979017580). I'd absolutely recommend picking up this gem (and an extra box of the pens https://www.amazon.com/STAEDTLER-Lumocol ... -1-catcorr ) -- I've gotten much more comfortable using the marker and I think it'll pay off on test day.

I am usually extremely strong in CR and SC, and only fairly strong in RC. On the MGMAT exam, however, I was extremely weak in SC, but I was strong in CR and RC. I guess I should re-read the MGMAT SC book -- I didn't read it very carefully the first time through because I thought I knew SC pretty well.

My exam is on August 19th at 6:30pm. I've taken my most recent exams at this time to get used to the timing of everything, and I plan on continuing this trend. If at all possible, I think it helps to condition your body to test taking at a certain time of day.

I'll be taking another MGMAT exam on Thursday, so I'll update with a new score then!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Great job, keep going. :)

What about gmat prep??? when are you giving it a try??
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hussain15 wrote:
Great job, keep going. :)

What about gmat prep??? when are you giving it a try??

I'm going to take the first GMATPrep exam as soon as I run out of MGMAT exams. I'm aiming to take my first one mid next week (Aug 9-12). I just took the Diagnostic (I timed it) in OG12 and I got 47/48 in quant (-1 PS) and 51/52 in verbal (-1 CR). I feel much more comfortable with the OG questions than with any other prep company's questions -- the official questions don't fall prey to the same logical flaws.

I'm going to work on OG12 and re-read the MGMAT math books in the next week. I'm taking my second MGMAT practice exam tonight at my scheduled test time, so we'll see how that goes!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Finally took the next MGMAT exam that I was supposed to take a few days ago. After helping my girlfriend move, driving to a different city, and moving out myself, I found that I was a bit short on time.
I'll have to take one practice exam each day up until my test day (8/19) if I want to finish in time.

Here's my latest MGMAT score:

MGMAT2 = 780 - Q51 V45

I managed to finish every question in quant with a few seconds to spare, and I'm happy to see my second 51 on quant, but I'm not happy with the verbal score. I feel like I've reached some sort of wall with verbal... I've scored between 43 and 45 on every single exam I've taken. How do I push my score up into the 48-51 range? I can't be certain that I'll get a 51 in quant on the test day, so I'd really like to maximize my verbal score to make up for it.

Believe it or not, but I missed 3 consecutive verbal questions this go-around (numbers 7 through 9). MGMAT graded me down the 73rd percentile, but thankfully I didn't miss any after that until the final question (stupid mistake!).

I'm going to go through my verbal mistakes and see what I can do to fix them...

Also -- if anyone has taken the GMAT within the past few years and remembers what type of noise-cancelling device you used during your exam (earphones, earplugs, etc.), then please go to this topic. I'm trying to nail down this answer, and I'd really like to start practicing with them as soon as possible!

a-seemingly-stupid-question-about-earphones-earplugs-98760.html
GRE Forum Moderator
Affiliations: PMP certified, IT professional
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: MS -IS
Schools:CMU, Kelley
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Great going..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
So I'm a bit frustrated with myself...

Just took the next MGMAT exam. After finishing the quant section, got some water, ate some almonds, and splashed water on my face. I came back, ready to conquer the verbal section, and I was a bit excited. I accidentally typed in "45" instead of "75" when it asked me how many minutes I wanted to take this section of the exam. I tried to cancel my selection, but it was hopeless. I quit the exam without answering any verbal questions because I knew there would be no way I could finish in time.

As a consolation prize, I got a 51 in quant again. Finished with 1 minute to spare. It seems as though if I manage to keep myself on schedule time-wise, then I can get a 51 pretty accurately in quant.

I did find that the MGMAT quant questions seem to be getting a bit easier as I keep taking more and more exams. I know that the questions come from a giant pool, but I wish there was some way to take them in reverse order so that the harder questions would show up later during my studies, rather than earlier. I understand the need for a prep company to show you that you're "improving," but the brutal nature of the first few exams was really unfair.

Time to go work on OG 12!

Originally posted by YourDreamTheater on 08 Aug 2010, 17:57.
Last edited by YourDreamTheater on 13 Sep 2011, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Interesting post. Keep it up!
Does the synesthesia have anything to do with your avatar/nickname?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bb wrote:
Interesting post. Keep it up!
Does the synesthesia have anything to do with your avatar/nickname?

Hah - that actually does make some sense!!! Sadly no, the nickname is just a tribute to one of my favorite bands from when i was younger (Dream theater -- great in the early 90's). The avatar is a ridiculously expensive keyboard (~$8,000) that I hope to own one day.

Back to GMAT -- just took another MGMAT exam.

730 = Q51 V39

I have absolutely no idea what happened on this exam. The Q51 was expected, but the V39 was most definitely not. I noticed that a lot of my questions were in the "600-700" range (instead of the "700-800" range) even when the exam said I was performing in the 99th percentile. I have a feeling that I am have gone through most of MGMAT's 700-800 level verbal questions, so it is now adding in a lot of 600-700 level questions to make up for it. After getting the first 21 answers correct, I got an entire RC passage incorrect (missed 3 of 3 questions) and a CR question incorrect all in a row. These questions were all on the 600-700 level, so the exam punished me greatly for missing these. I've also noticed that most of my questions in the quant section were 600-700 rather than 700-800 (despite my quant score of 51). I honestly believe that MGMAT is running out of the tough questions and is being forced to use lower level questions.

I had a few distractions and had to pause for a hour in between sections to greet someone who had just arrived back to my house, so I guess I got out of the flow.

Oh well! You win some, you lose some.

I've been going through OG 12 timed and I'm having a fantastic hit rate (around 99% correct in quant, finished DS and halfway through PS) so I'm really excited to try GMATPrep. I'm going to take one more MGAMT exam, but if it doesn't live up to its tough reputation, then I might have to move on to GMATPrep.

Back to work!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Between my 21st birthday, my girlfriend's visit, and some car troubles, I haven't had much time to spend on the GMAT these past two days.

That being said, I did manage to finish 3 sections of OG 12 (including diagnostic questions):

PS: 252 correct out of 254 = 99%
DS: 194 correct out of 198 = 98%
SC: 151 correct out of 158 = 96%

Admittedly I would have liked to have done a tad bit better on my SC, but I'll take it. I tend to do much better as the questions get more difficult; I miss most of my questions (across all three subjects) about 60% through the problem set (a.k.a. 600-700 level difficulty). Not really sure why that is!

I'm taking my first GMATPrep exam either tomorrow (Friday) or Saturday -- with AWA for building stamina! I'm going to try to finish up OG 12 in the next day or two and then I'll just keep redoing GMATPrep until test day (8/19).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Just finished OG 12 CR (timed, as always)

138 correct out of 141 = 98%

As usual, both problems that I missed in the problem set were of medium difficulty. I consider the third one that I missed to be difficult, and it was in the diagnostic. So two wrong in 600-700, and one wrong in 700-800. Not perfect, but not terrible.

I'm going to take my first GMAT Prep exam tonight at 6:30 (my test time) with the AWA, the erasable booklet, timed breaks, etc etc. The real deal! I'm excited to see how I do! I'll update with my results ASAP.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
I have added your journey to the "Best Stories" - thank you for keeping it current!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks, bb! I hope that people in the future are able to read my story and use my experiences to help them maximize their score.

Back to business: I just took my first GMATPrep exam. I did the full thing simulated as closely as I could: AWA, timed breaks, 6:30pm start time, erasable marker board, unfamiliar setting, and unfamiliar computer. This was the result:

GMATPrep 1 = 780 - Q50 V48

After starting the exam, my first problem came up in quant, and the computer immediately began to shut down due to software updates. I had already begun the exam, so I manually cancelled the updates. Sadly, the computer kept trying to update every 5 minutes or so and I kept having to click "Restart later" throughout the entire exam. Very distracting!

Around question 20 the quant section, the phone rang and I had to talk on the phone for a minute or two in the middle of my exam. While timing wasn't an issue (I ended up finishing with a few minutes to spare), the phone call definitely got me out of my rhythm as I spent 6 minutes on a single problem (it was an easy one, too). I later found out that all 9 of my mistakes in quant came AFTER this phone conversation -- 20/20 at first, and then 8/17 to finish! Jeez!!!

I was also surprised to find that nearly all of my mistakes came on data sufficiency questions. I'm usually pretty good at finding the loopholes in DS questions, but my flustered and distracted mind couldn't work like it normally does.

I only got one question wrong in verbal, but I still got knocked down to a 48. Kind of depressing, but now I know how competitive verbal is on the real deal. I did finish verbal with a lot of time left (around 15-20 minutes), so I'm not worried about speed on this section.

As a native speaker, my problem in verbal has always been speed -- that is, I go through the questions too quickly. I'd advise all native speakers to slow down when a difficult verbal question pops up on the screen.

One interesting note -- my third question in verbal was the Halley's Comet SC question from OG 12 (question number 138 for those of you keeping track). I was pretty surprised to see an OG 12 question in my GMATPrep exam, but I shrugged it off, worked through the problem, and proceeded.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   
Moderator:
Founder
37306 posts