Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:51 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [103]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: finance
Schools:isb
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618645 [43]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Re: What fraction of this year's graduating students at a [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
It should be C.

Let x be the no of males in the college
Let y be the no of females in the college

To find x/x+y

1) From statement 1 we know

.33x and .20y out of x and y transferred from another college. We cant find x+y or x/x+y

Insufficient

2) .25(x+y) transferred from other college. We cant find x/x+y with just this Insufficient

From 1) and 2)
we know
.33x+.20y = .25(x+y)

From this we can find the ratio x/x+y
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V43
GPA: 3.83
Send PM
Re: What fraction of this year's graduating students at a certain college [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
What fraction of this year's graduating students at a certain college are males?

(1) Of this year's graduating students, 33 percent of the males and 20 percent of the females transfered from another college.
(2) Of this year's graduating students, 25 percent transfered from another college.

Question: \(\frac{m}{m+f}=?\)

Obviously taken separately each statement is not sufficient.

(1)+(2) # of transferred students from (1) equals to \(033m+0.2f\) and from (2) it equals to \(0.25(m+f)\) --> \(0.33m+0.2f=0.25m+0.25f\) --> \(\frac{m}{f}=\frac{5}{8}\) --> \(\frac{m}{m+f}=\frac{5}{13}\). Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hi Bunuel,

I understand what you did here, but I still don't understand how this is the number of total males over total students. To me, it looks like this is the total of males who transferred in to the total number of students who transferred in. What am I missing?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618645 [1]
Send PM
Re: What fraction of this year's graduating students at a certain college [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
egiles wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
What fraction of this year's graduating students at a certain college are males?

(1) Of this year's graduating students, 33 percent of the males and 20 percent of the females transfered from another college.
(2) Of this year's graduating students, 25 percent transfered from another college.

(1)+(2) # of transferred students from (1) equals to \(033m+0.2f\) and from (2) it equals to \(0.25(m+f)\) --> \(0.33m+0.2f=0.25m+0.25f\) --> \(\frac{m}{f}=\frac{5}{8}\) --> \(\frac{m}{m+f}=\frac{5}{13}\). Sufficient.

Hi Bunuel,

I understand what you did here, but I still don't understand how this is the number of total males over total students. To me, it looks like this is the total of males who transferred in to the total number of students who transferred in. What am I missing?

\(m\) and \(f\) are the number of graduating males and females respectively, so \(\frac{m}{m+f}=\frac{5}{13}\) is the fraction of graduating males (the fraction of males transferred would be \(\frac{033m}{033m+0.25f}\)).

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Sorry Bunuel for a late reply. I meant the question states only the transferring students from other colleges, what about the existing ones? Thx
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618645 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
chigiwigi wrote:
Sorry Bunuel for a late reply. I meant the question states only the transferring students from other colleges, what about the existing ones? Thx

What about them?

m is the total number of males (including those who transferred and existing ones) and f is the total number of females (including those who transferred and existing ones).

Given that \(0.33m+0.2f=0.25(m+f)\), from which we can find the value of \(\frac{m}{m+f}\).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Oh yeah, sorry may be missed that bit initially. Sorry again for a stupid question. : )
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22042 [4]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sunland wrote:

We need to determine what fraction of this year's graduating students at a certain college are males. Since we do not know the number of male and female graduating students in the college, we can let m = the number of male graduating students in the college and f = the number of female graduating students in the college. We need to determine the value of m/(m + f).

Statement One Alone:

Of this year's graduating students, 33 percent of the males and 20 percent of the females transferred from another college.

Using the information from statement one, we know that 0.33m = the number of male graduating students who transferred from another college and 0.20f = the number of female graduating students who transferred from another college. However, we cannot determine the value of m/(m + f). Statement one alone is not sufficient. We can eliminate answer choices A and D.

Statement Two Alone:

Of this year's graduating students, 25 percent transferred from another college.

Using the information from statement two we know that 0.25(m + f) = the number of graduating students who transferred from another college. However, we still cannot determine m/(m + f). Statement two alone is not sufficient. We can eliminate answer choice B.

Statements One and Two Together:

From statements one and two, we know that 0.33m + 0.20f must equal 0.25(m + f). That is,

0.33m + 0.20f = 0.25(m + f)

0.33m + 0.20f = 0.25m + 0.25f

0.08m = 0.05f

8m = 5f

f = 8m/5

Since f = 8m/5, we can substitute 8m/5 in the expression m/(m + f) and we have:

m/(m + 8m/5)

1/(1 + 8/5)

1/(13/5) = 5/13

Answer: C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 208
Concentration: Economics, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V47
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

Just wondering since we are supposed to find the fraction and not the exact value.
The first statement says that 33% of the students are male. So if we assume the total number of student is 100 then total males if 33.
Even if the number increases by any factor the empirical value will always remain 33/100. Giving Answer as A

Can you please elaborate on this.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618645 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
AmritaSarkar89 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Just wondering since we are supposed to find the fraction and not the exact value.
The first statement says that 33% of the students are male. So if we assume the total number of student is 100 then total males if 33.
Even if the number increases by any factor the empirical value will always remain 33/100. Giving Answer as A

Can you please elaborate on this.

The red part is not correct. (1) says "Of this year's graduating students, 33 percent of the males and 20 percent of the females transferred from another college".

Also, it's not clear what you mean by part in blue.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3378 [2]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
let's say M is the # of males in the graduating class (total), and F is the # of females.
then
statement (1) says 0.33M + 0.20F were transfers;
statement (2) says 0.25(M + F) were transfers (i.e., 25% of everybody).

since both of these are the # of transfers, set them equal:
0.33M + 0.20F = 0.25M + 0.25F
0.08M = 0.05F
this gives you the ratio of males to females.
Sufficient.
Hence C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Schools: NYU Stern (A)
Send PM
Bunuel how come the answer is different when trying to calculate using fractions?

.33m = m/3
.20f = f/5
.25 (m+f) = (m+f)/4

m/3+f/5=(m+f)/4 -> (5m+3f)/15=(m+f)/4 -> 20m+12f=15m+15f -> 5m=3f or m/f=3/5

In your solution, m/f = 5/8.

What am i forgetting here?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618645 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
FWU wrote:
Bunuel how come the answer is different when trying to calculate using fractions?

.33m = m/3
.20f = f/5
.25 (m+f) = (m+f)/4

m/3+f/5=(m+f)/4 -> (5m+3f)/15=(m+f)/4 -> 20m+12f=15m+15f -> 5m=3f or m/f=3/5

In your solution, m/f = 5/8.

What am i forgetting here?

The point is 0.33 does not equal to 1/3.

0.33 = 33/100 while 1/3 = 0.3333....
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
sunland wrote:

chetan2u

Can you please please help me with this question.?

Firstly, I am not convinced on how 1/3 and 33% are not equal (unless we are only considering the recurring 3's after the decimal).

Secondly, I was not able to come up with (m+f) representation of the students so it's unlikely will be able to do it next time as well.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31873 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Expert Reply
TheNightKing wrote:
sunland wrote:

chetan2u

Can you please please help me with this question.?

Firstly, I am not convinced on how 1/3 and 33% are not equal (unless we are only considering the recurring 3's after the decimal).

Secondly, I was not able to come up with (m+f) representation of the students so it's unlikely will be able to do it next time as well.

Hi

Whenever you are looking for overall %, average, ratio etc where you have two items(with %, ratio, fraction) that constitute the total, you can find the ratio of the two items in total.
You can use weighted average method or equations.

Weighted average method.
The average / fraction of two groups will be away from the average/fraction when total of these two groups are taken in the ratio of their weight.

Let us try this.
m ..... t .....f
33%..25%..20%
Fraction of m = (t-f)/((m-f)=5/13

Equations
Statement I tells us that 0.33m and 0.20f are from outside
Statement II tells us that overall 25% or o.25 of total students have come from outside.
Now what does this who are total students?- they are m+f, because that is what it would constitute of.
Example we eat 2 apples out of 4 apples that are with us and 1 orange out of 5 oranges we had. So % of each fruit should be equally to overall %....2/4 or 50% of apples and 1/5 or 20% of oranges are eaten. Overall we have eaten 3 out of 9 or 33.33. Thus 0.5(apples)+0.2(oranges)=0.33(total)..0.5*4+0.2*5=0.333*9...2+1=3

Similarly here 0.33m+0.2f=0.25(t)=0.25(m+f)......0.33m-0.25m=0.25f-0.20f....8m=5f....f=8m/5..
Fraction of m = m/(m+f)=m/(m+8m/5)=m/(13m/5)=5/13

Now on 33% and 1/3. If you are on a PS question, it will make a difference unless we are looking for approximation.
Say you are looking for 33% of 300, it is 99, but 1/3 of 300 is 100
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
What fraction of this year's graduating students at a certain college [#permalink]

Let Graduating males = Gm and
Graduating females = Gf
Gm / Gm + Gf = ?

0.33Gm + 0.20Gf are transferred from another college. We don't know about the relation beween males and females. So,

INSUFFICIENT.

0.25(Gm + Gf) are transferred.
Again it is not known what proportion constitutes among males and females in those transferred or even in that certain college.

INSUFFICIENT.

Together 1 and 2.
0.33Gm + 0.20Gf = 0.25(Gm + Gf)
0.07Gm = 0.05Gf

SUFFICIENT.

Answer C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
What fraction of this year's graduating students at a certain college [#permalink]
sunland wrote:

(1) Of this year's graduating students, 33 percent of the males and 20 percent of the females transferred from another college.
(2) Of this year's graduating students, 25 percent transferred from another college.

Each statement, taken one at a time, is not sufficient.

Taking both statements together:
Let total number of students be t.
Out of these t students, m are male and f are female.
t = m + f

If 25% of total graduating students are transferred then 75% of total graduating students are already present.
Thus, existing students = 0.75 t
transferred students = 0.25 t
If 33% of total graduating male students are transferred then 67% of total graduating male students are already present.
Thus, existing male students = 0.67 m
transferred male students = 0.33 m
If 20% of total graduating female students are transferred then 80% of total graduating female students are already present.
Thus, existing female students = 0.8 f
transferred female students = 0.2 f

Approach 1: If we consider existing students:
Total existing students = total existing male students + total existing female students
0.75 t = 0.67 m + 0.8 f
0.75 (m+f) = 0.67 m + 0.8 f (Substituting t as m+f)
0.75 m + 0.75 f = 0.67 m +0.8 f
0.75 m - 0.67 m = 0.8 f -0.75 f
0.08 m = 0.05 f
m/f = 5/8

Approach 2: Alternatively, if we consider transferred students
Total transferred students = total transferred male students + total transferred female students
0.25t = 0.33m + 0.2f
0.25 (m+f) = 0.33m + 0.2f (Substituting t as m+f)
0.25 m + 0.25 f = 0.33m +0.2f
0.25 f - 0.2 f = 0.33m - 0.25 m
0.05 f = 0.08 m
m/f = 5/8

Ratio of male to female is same in both approaches i.e. m/f = 5/8
Fraction of graduating students who are male = m / t
m/(m+f)= 5/13 (Substituting t as m+f)
Hence, both statements together are sufficient.
C is the correct answer.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92883 posts