Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:03 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Kellogg, Ross: R1, Insead, ISB R2
Send PM
Re: 790 with 1 week of studying (holding your pee works!) [#permalink]
Some of it is luck as well. You hadn't scored that high on any of your practice tests! I went the other way unfortunately :-( 790 on my last practice test, and 760 on my real test.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: ACFE Member, CalCPA Member
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General
Schools:Duke - Fuqua
 Q44  V38
WE 1: CPA & CFE with 7 years of experience
Send PM
Kudos
tt11234 wrote:
lol...you hold it untill when? since u can't go to the bathroom in the middle of the test...you hold it for 1.5 hours?

You have breaks between sections, so why wouldn't you be able to use the restroom? I know that 8 minutes a break isn't much, but if you have to go you have to go. Also, from what I read, he didn't use this strategy during the test but during the DS prep. The idea was to simulate the stress and sense of urgency found on the real test day.

Either way, I think the whole thing is hogwash. As others have noted, things smell a bit fishy. I see two options here:

1. The guy is a genius at this stuff, but not only a math genius but a verbal genius. He spent just a day writing down the strategies and concepts? Like, how fast can he write?? There are EIGHT books from Manhattan on these concepts. How does one person write so much down, let alone find the time during that day to figure out what he actually doesn't know and needs to write down?! Still, if we suspend disbelief and he really is a genius at this, then how does that help anyone else? A strategy, or theory, holds water if someone else can replicate it. If he is the only one that can do this, we can just chalk it up as an anomaly. I don't think his strategy works unless, again, you are an absolute master at math and verbal (not just one but BOTH).

2. The other option is its all just bologna. In that case, this whole thread is just good practice for critical thinking and reading comprehension. As another user already posted, there are some that post on here in an effort to throw off the study strategies of others. I mean seriously, is anyone reading this and thinking, "Dang, I can do that, no problem!"? Like most on here, I took this with a HUGE grain of salt. So don't let this post lead you astray from your study plans. Stay the course and keep plugging away.

Also, I want to point out something else I noticed when I first read this post: The ONLY two posts this guy made, prior to this thread taking off, was this post as well as the other asking to be a part of the 99% club. So, this guy has no history at all on this forum, came out of nowhere, wrote this improbable story with a humorous strategy, and the result for me is that I don't buy an ounce of it.

I'll let everyone else come to their own conclusions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
:roll: showoff
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
My friend you're either a liar or an outlier!

Neither of which will help anyone prepare!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 540 Q47 V19
GMAT 2: 610 Q46 V28
GPA: 3.86
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Rux10 wrote:
My friend you're either a liar or an outlier!

Neither of which will help anyone prepare!

Very true..I want him to attach his score report pdf here. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ...upto n times
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
yeah this kid is bullshit. So basically, here's the scenario (critical thinking practice haha)

- I joined July 1st and then go MIA
- I don't study for like...oh, 2 or 3 months before going to take the exam
- I make ONE post while 3 of the other posts I made are on this thread
- 6 days before I cram and gain some knowledge
- I bang a 790

If this is real, I hate you. If this is fake, I still hate you. Now you tell me, "Am I smart? Yes." Am I struggling with the GMAT and still can't manage to break 620 after two and a half months? Yes. Am I a hater? Yes. Do I believe you? No. :-D

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
if this is true.. than u r actually a genius.. help us with your memory tips..
any ways congrats for the lovely score...
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
 Q47  V45
Send PM
Where is the best place to find these 750+ questions. Would be very interested in practicing them. Also are there any books that focus specifically on teh harder questions or clearly distinguish betweenm them and the easier ones (The Official Guide doesnt appear to).

thanks a lot!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
paddypartridge wrote:
Where is the best place to find these 750+ questions. Would be very interested in practicing them. Also are there any books that focus specifically on teh harder questions or clearly distinguish betweenm them and the easier ones (The Official Guide doesnt appear to).

thanks a lot!

quant 700-800 level questions: gmatclub tests and MGMAT tests' quant probs
verbal 700-800 level questions: OG 12,OG Verbal Review 2nd edition

don't forget to press +1 kudos button provided at right side. :)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
 Q47  V45
Send PM
Thanks a lot Pranav!

Also, which books would anyone most recommend for the quantitative section? I have worked my way through the GMAT Official guide (800 questions) and was wondering whether their quantitaive review simply repeats those from those book or whether it provides 300 new questions.

Are there any other comprehensive books for this section?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
I think this method is actually a really focused and reasonable one - but really only for those who can score a 700+ as a starting score.

For those in the low or mid 600s (or below), I think the better preparation is to go over all basic & advanced rules prior to taking the author's advice.

To those who have challenged his approach as impractical though, I would strongly disagree - it's very much directed towards his/her own weaknesses, and those are weaknesses that are common to 700+ scorers.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Send PM
paddypartridge wrote:
Thanks a lot Pranav!

Also, which books would anyone most recommend for the quantitative section? I have worked my way through the GMAT Official guide (800 questions) and was wondering whether their quantitaive review simply repeats those from those book or whether it provides 300 new questions.

Are there any other comprehensive books for this section?

Thanks!

800 questions from OG are the real retired GMAT questions. You won't able to see them anywhere else.
and if you want to do quant from basics then get your hands on MGMAT guides (5 sets). They are comprehensive and will come with 6 MGMAT tests. The quant questions on these tests are harder ones n they'll not be realistic but they'll teach you concepts. learn from those MGMAT quant questions.

Shoot me any question you have.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
It's fine if you don't believe me.

My intentions were to help people maximize use of their prep time. I'm not a math or engineering major, I study business.

To the people who mention months of studying for the GMAT and buying tons of books etc. Okay, maybe that's how you study, but it's not necessarily the most efficient way of studying. All through my school years I've observed so many of my peers taking copious amounts of notes, reading extra textbooks, etc. and generally spending a lot of time studying without avail. The assertion that just because you spend more time studying than someone that means you you know the material better is complete crap. It's not about the amount of questions you do (well, you need to put in enough time obviously) or guessing strategies, or a lot of different things not exactly efficient methods that I just frustratingly find people turning to in an effort to improve their score. Sure, a lot of times it may yield good results. But at what cost. 6 months of extra studying? Think about your own study time. Do you always think about every question you get wrong, why you got it wrong, and analyze how you can improve your thinking process for that type of question? What about the questions you were unsure of but got right? Or do you just blame it on something random to justify it and move on to do more question or read more books? I'm not saying this is what most people do, but it's something to consider - where are you spending your time and is it the best place to be spending it?

My main point overall with my experience post was not to BS or boast about a score, but to emphasize that it's NOT about buying every single GMAT prep book, going to every single paid course, studying for 8 months straight. It's about training yourself to THINK a certain way and systematically targeting your weaknesses through methods that work for YOU. 90% of studying should be in your head. It should be your thought processes, and consciously learning from EVERY single question you do. Learn and borrow from past experiences but analyze for yourself what you should be doing and how you should be studying. Don't let someone else tell you that it's the "right" way to study - everyone has their own way.

You can discredit me by examining posting habits if you want. I joined in July while I was working in Asia so I could get the daily GMATClub email question of the day, which unfortunately I did not even do until I got back to Canada... whatever, I don't even feel like explaining myself. Take what you want from this thread.

PS I'm not even applying for an MBA program, but if I was, yeah coming on GMATclub forum and posting one random experience post would definitely be the way for me to take out the competition... yeah, that's really brilliant of me...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Oh, and, I would post my report pdf up here, but what's the point. "Photoshopped!!!" "FAKE! WHAT A BSer".

Haha, well, good luck to you all.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
to some of those who tend to discredit 750+ scores - i don't know if that's a legitimate practice...

it's pretty possible to score that highly after a few weeks of ceaseless concentration & study - really depends on your background & receptiveness
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I think the pee method is genius. I will employ this in the future!
Tuck School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 330 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Ridz wrote:
I think the pee method is genius. I will employ this in the future!

Yeah, it may be ingenious, but... it's... it's risky :lol:
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderator:
Founder
37300 posts