Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1497 [28]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64903 [13]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1497 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 499 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: In Morigia the average age of cars that are still in use has historica [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO E

In Morigia the average age of cars that are still in use has historically been seven years, but now it is nearly nine years. Car manufacturers claim that the current poor economy has forced people to put off buying new cars, and thus when the economy improves, the average age of cars will return to former levels.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously calls into question the car manufacturers' prediction?
(A) Fewer cars per year are now being manufactured in Morigia than were being manufactured there five years ago.
--cars need not be manufactured in Morigia
(B) When the threat of job loss is particularly strong, people are reluctant to commit themselves to expensive purchases.
--Irrelevent
(C) The older a car is, the greater the amount of upkeep it requires.
--Irrelevent
(D) The air-pollution control devices now being used in cars manufactured in Morigia cost less than those that were used seven years ago.
--Irrelevent
(E) Most people in Morigia now believe that replacing an old car with a new one has very undesirable ecological consequences
--Even if the economy improves people will not buy new cars
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3224 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: In Morigia the average age of cars that are still in use has historica [#permalink]
Bookmarks
E it is.

People are not buying new cars not because of the weak economy (as manufacturer's predict) but because the new cars will have undesirable ecological consequences....thereby weakening manufacturer's prediction.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
I can see why E is correct but can someone explain why A is wrong ?

If fewer no of cars are being manufactured, people will have fewer options to buy cars, even in a good economy. So they will have to use old cars longer. Hence the average age of cars will increase.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [2]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
Weird question.

The basic idea of the argument is that people will return to buying and driving newer cars once the economy improves.

In my understanding, A states that fewer cars are being manufactured inside the borders of Morigia - that is not directly related to Morigia's consumers purchases of those cars.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 596 [1]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Kudos
AbhiJ wrote:
In Morigia the average age of cars that are still in use has historically been seven years, but now it is nearly nine years. Car manufacturers claim that the current poor economy has forced people to put off buying new cars, and thus when the economy improves, the average age of cars will return to former levels.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously calls into question the car manufacturers' prediction?

(A) Fewer cars per year are now being manufactured in Morigia than were being manufactured there five years ago.
(B) When the threat of job loss is particularly strong, people are reluctant to commit themselves to expensive purchases.
(C) The older a car is, the greater the amount of upkeep it requires.
(D) The air-pollution control devices now being used in cars manufactured in Morigia cost less than those that were used seven years ago.
(E) Most people in Morigia now believe that replacing an old car with a new one has very undesirable ecological consequences.

This is the conclusion..

the current poor economy has forced people to put off buying new cars, and thus when the economy improves, the average age of cars will return to former levels.

we have to weaken this thing..

A-fewer cars per year are now being manufactured in MORIGIA?? wat if more cars are now being imported?? what if demand is low thats y car manufacturing has decreased??

second thing...how is it weakening the another part of conclusion..avg age of cars will return to former level?? E explain that..

E says..its not the economy that have increased or decreased age of cars..its the ppl own wish..so either economy in reccesion or expansion they r not gonna buy new cars ..so it directly hits the conclusion..

Hope it helps..if m wrong ..correct me :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Conclusion: when the economy improves, the average age of cars will return to former levels. means people will start replacing their old cars with new ones.

Reason: poor economy.

Pre-think: People will not replace their car if new technology has enhanced the average life of the car (It was my thinking).

(A) Fewer cars per year are now being manufactured in Morigia than were being manufactured there five years ago. fewer cars are now being manufactured, means price will be high and this may continue even after economy will show upward trend. High price low selling.

(B) When the threat of job loss is particularly strong, people are reluctant to commit themselves to expensive purchases. - don't know whether car is an expensive purchase or not.

(C) The older a car is, the greater the amount of upkeep it requires. don't know whether greater upkeep is better deal than buying new car or not.

(D) The air-pollution control devices now being used in cars manufactured in Morigia cost less than those that were used seven years ago. - Out of scope.

(E) Most people in Morigia now believe that replacing an old car with a new one has very undesirable ecological consequences. - clearly alternate reason. so, correct choice.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts