Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:30 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 772 [280]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [50]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [39]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [6]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Re: Even in this age of conservation, cooking ranges that consume fossil [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
aman1213 wrote:
sachinrelan wrote:
Even in this age of conservation, cooking ranges that consume fossil fuels are far more common than those that rely on magnetic resonance, producing heat more efficiently than natural gas.

A. producing heat more efficiently than natural gas
B. producing heat more efficiently than natural gas does
C. which produce heat more efficiently than natural gas
D. which produce heat more efficiently than natural gas does
E. much more efficient at producing heat than natural gas

What should be the correct answer to this question. ?

I feel it should be Option D.

I couldn't understand the construction of this sentence request forum members to help me understand.

Hi
I will try to explain why 'B; is the answer.
whenever you see 'which', it refers to the noun before 'which', in this case the noun before 'which' is 'Resonance', so if we say resonance produce heat more efficiently than natural gas, it sounds incorrect.
hence options c and d go out.
option E is also wrong, as we dont know what is 'much more' referring to.
We are left with options A and B.
In A we are comparing the heat produced by fossil fuel to Natural gas.
this is wrong as we are not comparing the right things.
In B, we are comparing the heat produced by fossil fuel to heat produced by natural gas.This is the right comparison, hence is the answer

Absolutely correct.Modifiers and comparison issue.Kudos.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 356 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Even in this age of conservation, cooking ranges that consume fossil [#permalink]
Kudos
Even in this age of conservation, cooking ranges that consume fossil fuels are far more common than those that rely on magnetic resonance, producing heat more efficiently than natural gas.

Which always modifies the subject / noun immediately preceding it. We need to compare coking ranges which use fossil fuel to cooking ranges which use magnetic resonance.

D & E compares coking ranges which use fossil fuel to magnetic resonance. - wrong options.

A compares cooking ranges which use magnetic resonance to natural gas. - wrong option
E compares efficiency of cooking ranges which use magnetic resonance to natural gas. - wrong option
Correct option - B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [4]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Has to be B. While D is tempting, it screws up on produce.

It should be which produces not which produce. Hence B is most right.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT Date: 11-02-2012
Send PM
Bookmarks
daagh wrote:
First, let’s clear a few things. ,
1. Natural gas is a fossil fuel; So there can not be a comparison between fossil fuel and NG
2. First comparison is between cooking ranges that use fossil fuels and cooking ranges ( denoted by the pronoun those) that uses magnetic resonance (MR)
3. The second comparison is between the heating efficiency of MR and that of natural gas( a fossil fuel)
4. ‘Producing heat more efficiently than natural gas’ has to modify MR ranges rather than NG’s ranges. The end of the passage makes it clear.

A. producing heat more efficiently than natural gas --- faulty comparison between ranges and a fuel. Also may mean that MR produces heat more efficiently that it produces NG

B. producing heat more efficiently than natural gas does;---- the verb does make it clear that the comparison is between the production efficiency of MR over NG; best among the lot.
C. which produce heat more efficiently than natural gas ---- which produce – S-V mismatch; faulty comparison
D. which produce heat more efficiently than natural gas does --- S-V mismatch
E. much more efficient at producing heat than natural gas ---same problem as in A.

Hi,

In option B, is the verb+ing modifier not modifying the cooking ranges, as ver+ing modifier after comma modifies the subject of the previous clause.

I believe for option B to be right, producing should follow magnetic resonance without comma.

Please clarify my doubt.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
A clause without a comma before - producing -would be most ideal; but unfortunately the comma is there. But it is at least ok as far as comparison is concerned.
That is the reason I said B is the best among the lot. Others are having more serious errors.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1103 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.85
WE:Sales (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Let me disagree with B, IMO is D

There is no S-V agreement error in D. Produce is the verb for "Those that rely on magnetic resonance" Plural.

Plus, there is a meaning problem, as natural gas is a fossil fuel. Also the sentence intends to make a contrast between the age of conservation and the means people are using to cook. Stating that Magnetic resonance is more efficient emphasizes such contrast.

Experts, your input will be really appreciated in this one

Cheers
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
1. Which refers to MR (singular); not those (ranges) that rely on MR. We cannot take it to refer to a noun that is not just in front. The touch rule of which is quite clear about it. So the plural produce is a wrong verb and D suffers from S-V mismatch.
2. If a contrast is sought to be made out between the age of conservation and the means of cooking, then, that is basically wrong. We must make a comparison and contrast between only parallel things. An age cannot be contrasted with a means. So D can never make it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
To clarify my doubts on "which," is it possible to read the sentence in the following way:

Even in this age of conservation, cooking ranges that consume fossil fuels are far more common than those [implicit: those cooking ranges] that rely on magnetic resonance, producing heat more efficiently than natural gas.

Based on this, answer is D. "Which" refers to "Those cooking ranges that rely on magnetic resonance," not "magnetic resonance," and therefore "produce" agrees with the implies "cooking ranges" rather than mismatches with "magnetic resonance."

Basically, how far can into the previous clause can a which statement extend,
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
@banaorange

Can which in this case refer to ranges? There are two choices that use, ‘which ‘namely C and D. Let’s insert choice C and D in their relevant places and see.

C. Even in this age of conservation, cooking ranges that consume fossil fuels are far more common than those [implicit: those cooking ranges] that rely on magnetic resonance, which produce heat more efficiently than natural gas--- So by taking ‘which’ to refer to cooking ranges, the choice says that cooking ranges (kind of gadgets) produce heat more than natural gas (a planetary resource)

D. Even in this age of conservation, cooking ranges that consume fossil fuels are far more common than those [implicit: those cooking ranges] that rely on magnetic resonance, which produce heat more efficiently than natural gas does --- same comparison error as in C

How far away can the relative pronoun,’which’ go deep into the preceding clause. Here is what I picked up from some forum writings.

Quote:
According to Manhattan GMAT, in general, a noun modifier should touch their nouns; however there are 4 exceptions to this case:
1. A "mission critical" modifier falls in between
2. A very short predicate falls between, shifting a very long modifier back
3. A short non-essential phrase intervenes and is set off by commas
4. The modifier is part of a series of parallel modifiers, one of which touches the noun
Quote:

Where to find this quote in MGMAT, I am not sure, since I do not have the MGMAT Guide
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM

Shouldn't verb "ing" form in option B modify the preceding clause? I was under assumption that "ing" form gives us either result set of preceding clause or additional information of preceding clause. So not sure how can this construction be correct?
However, other options do have some serious errors.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos