Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:41 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 318 [113]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618809 [33]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [5]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 318 [0]
Send PM
Re: If the operation ∆ is one of the four arithmetic operations addition [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
If the operation # is one of the four arithmetic operations- addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Is (6#2)#4= 6#(2#4)

(1) 3#2 > 3, # can be either multiplication or addition in BOTH cases (6#2)#4 = 6#(2#4) is true: (6*2)*4=6*(2*4)=48 and (6+2)+4=6+(2+4)=12. Sufficient.

(2) 3#1 = 3, # can be either multiplication or division. If it's division the the answer to the question is No and if it's multiplication answer to the question is YES. Two different answers. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

Oh!! :( Anyways thanks Bunuel..I just saw two operations and so felt like i cant solve !!Now I gt it..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 526 [2]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Re: If the operation ∆ is one of the four arithmetic operations addition [#permalink]
Kudos
Same explanation like Bunnel. Dnt worry I used to make more silly mistakes than what you have done now...And it is all these silly mistakes that afect our score in a huge way....So just relax and solve the problems.....
I am understanding that Panic=failure during exams :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 695 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Kudos
ravitejapandiri wrote:
Attachment:
DS3.PNG
Please explain me this one..I get Answer C because Fact 1 itself is not sufficient to solve the problem.

F1:Gives * OR +
F2:Gives * OR %

So both give * as the appropriate sign.Hence C

Am I going somewhere badly?

You're given that the operation satisfies the associate property. The associative property is true of addition [(6+2) + 4 = 6 + (2+4)] and multiplication [(6*2) * 4 = 6 * (2*4)], but not of subtraction or division. If we can determine whether the operation is multiplication or addition, or if it's subtraction or division, then we have enough information.

(1) A quick test of each operation will show you that the triangle is either multiplication or addition. Regardless of which one it is, we know that it will satisfy the associative property. Sufficient.

(2) Again, a quick test will show you that the triangle is either multiplication or division. Since multiplication satisfies the property, but division does not, we can't determine the answer. Insufficient.

(A)
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618809 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

All DS Functions and Custom Characters questions: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=40
All PS Functions and Custom Characters questions: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=61
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
At the risk of sounding stupid, the GMAT Quant thus far has taught me to consider all possible conditions when solving a DS problem and choose only that answer which holds true universally in all cases. Hence my question in this case is:

(1) says the operation can either be Addition (+) or Multiplication (X)

The question asks if LHS = RHS using the above operations in place of the symbol
My observation :
(a) if you use multipication in place of the symbol then LHS = RHS
(b) if you use addition in place of the symbol then LHS = RHS
(c) But if you use a combination of multiplication and addition in the equation then LHS not equal to RHS.

Shouldn't the above (C) be a possibility too, since all we know from (1) is that it can be any operation (+ or X). No where is it specified that the same operation is to be performed on both sides of the equation

Similarly,

(2) says the operation can either be Multiplication (X) or Division (/)

Just as in the above reasoning, if you use a combination, then LHS not equal to RHS

THus using (1) and (2) together, only Multiplication holds good to satisfy both conditions

Therefore shouldn't the answer be (C).

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Experts Please assist....
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618809 [3]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sriniash wrote:
At the risk of sounding stupid, the GMAT Quant thus far has taught me to consider all possible conditions when solving a DS problem and choose only that answer which holds true universally in all cases. Hence my question in this case is:

(1) says the operation can either be Addition (+) or Multiplication (X)

The question asks if LHS = RHS using the above operations in place of the symbol
My observation :
(a) if you use multipication in place of the symbol then LHS = RHS
(b) if you use addition in place of the symbol then LHS = RHS
(c) But if you use a combination of multiplication and addition in the equation then LHS not equal to RHS.

Shouldn't the above (C) be a possibility too, since all we know from (1) is that it can be any operation (+ or X). No where is it specified that the same operation is to be performed on both sides of the equation

Similarly,

(2) says the operation can either be Multiplication (X) or Division (/)

Just as in the above reasoning, if you use a combination, then LHS not equal to RHS

THus using (1) and (2) together, only Multiplication holds good to satisfy both conditions

Therefore shouldn't the answer be (C).

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Experts Please assist....

If the operation # is ONE of the four arithmetic operations: addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Is (6#2)#4 = 6#(2#4) ?

The above means that # in the expression, (6#2)#4 = 6#(2#4), is addition OR subtraction OR multiplication OR division.

Similar questions to practice:
if-represents-one-of-the-operations-and-x-is-k-l-m-144138.html
if-denotes-one-of-two-arithmetic-operations-addition-or-50178.html
if-the-symbol-represents-either-addition-or-multiplication-104600.html
if-the-operation-is-one-of-the-four-arithmetic-operations-101283.html
if-the-operation-is-one-of-the-four-arithmetic-operations-93966.html
if-denotes-one-of-the-four-arithmetic-operations-addition-105472.html
the-symbol-represents-one-of-the-four-arithmetic-operation-107575.html
if-the-symbol-represents-either-addition-subtraction-101741.html
if-the-symbol-represents-either-addition-or-multiplication-104600.html
if-represents-one-of-the-operations-and-is-a-101337.html
the-operation-x-n-for-all-positive-integers-greater-than-99064.html
if-represents-one-of-the-operations-and-x-is-k-l-m-144138.html
if-the-symbol-represents-one-of-the-following-operations-161138.html
the-symbol-represents-one-of-the-following-operations-161432.html
the-symbol-represents-one-of-the-following-operations-add-165185.html

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 339 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Nice way to test the Assocative Law!

We learn this in primary school, but we see custom characters in the GMAT and tend to freak out...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29907 [4]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos