Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2829 [101]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618970 [46]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [3]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2930 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Re: Terminating Decimal [#permalink]
psychomath wrote:
But it says the ratio j/k is expressed as a decimal, so how come j=3p ?
I thought answer is A since J has to be a non-multiple of 3 since if it is a multiple of 3, j/k cannot be expressed as a decimal. COrrect me if i am wrong!

Anser can't be A. Because just knowing that k=3, doesnt tell you much about the decimal. For instance if j and k do not have 3 as a common factor, it will not cancel out and you will not get a terminating decimal which you would if they do have 3 as a common factor.

Eg. j=1, k=3 : Decimal is 0.333333....
j=6, k=3 : Decimal is 2.0
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 320 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
psychomath wrote:
But it says the ratio j/k is expressed as a decimal, so how come j=3p ?
I thought answer is A since J has to be a non-multiple of 3 since if it is a multiple of 3, j/k cannot be expressed as a decimal. COrrect me if i am wrong!

Can;t be true..
j can be a multiple of 3.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
THEORY:

Reduced fraction \(\frac{a}{b}\) (meaning that fraction is already reduced to its lowest term) can be expressed as terminating decimal if and only \(b\) (denominator) is of the form \(2^n5^m\), where \(m\) and \(n\) are non-negative integers. For example: \(\frac{7}{250}\) is a terminating decimal \(0.028\), as \(250\) (denominator) equals to \(2*5^3\). Fraction \(\frac{3}{30}\) is also a terminating decimal, as \(\frac{3}{30}=\frac{1}{10}\) and denominator \(10=2*5\).

Note that if denominator already has only 2-s and/or 5-s then it doesn't matter whether the fraction is reduced or not.

For example \(\frac{x}{2^n5^m}\), (where x, n and m are integers) will always be terminating decimal.

(We need reducing in case when we have the prime in denominator other then 2 or 5 to see whether it could be reduced. For example fraction \(\frac{6}{15}\) has 3 as prime in denominator and we need to know if it can be reduced.)

Questions testing this concept:
700-question-94641.html?hilit=terminating%20decimal
is-r-s2-is-a-terminating-decimal-91360.html?hilit=terminating%20decimal
pl-explain-89566.html?hilit=terminating%20decimal
which-of-the-following-fractions-88937.html?hilit=terminating%20decimal

BACK TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION:
Any decimal that has only a finite number of nonzero digits is a terminating decimal. For example, 12, 0.13, and 4.068 are three terminating decimals. If j and k are positive integers and the ratio j/k is expressed as a decimal, is j/k a terminating decimal?

(1) \(k = 3\) --> now, if \(j=3p\) (j is a multiple of 3) then \(\frac{j}{k}=\frac{3p}{3}=p=integer=terminating \ decimal\) but if \(j\) is not a multiple of 3 then reduced fraction \(\frac{j}{k}=\frac{j}{3}\) won't be a terminating decimal, as denominator has primes other than 2 and/or 5. Not sufficient.

(2) \(j\) is an odd multiple of 3 --> \(j=3(2k+1)\), clearly insufficient as no info about the denominator \(k\).

(1)+(2) \(\frac{j}{k}=\frac{3(2k+1)}{3}=2k+1=integer=terminating \ decimal\). Sufficient.

Answer: C.

So I guess for this type of questions we can never asume that k>j unless it says so in the question stem. Am I right?
Cheers
J :)
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618970 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
jlgdr wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
THEORY:

Reduced fraction \(\frac{a}{b}\) (meaning that fraction is already reduced to its lowest term) can be expressed as terminating decimal if and only \(b\) (denominator) is of the form \(2^n5^m\), where \(m\) and \(n\) are non-negative integers. For example: \(\frac{7}{250}\) is a terminating decimal \(0.028\), as \(250\) (denominator) equals to \(2*5^3\). Fraction \(\frac{3}{30}\) is also a terminating decimal, as \(\frac{3}{30}=\frac{1}{10}\) and denominator \(10=2*5\).

Note that if denominator already has only 2-s and/or 5-s then it doesn't matter whether the fraction is reduced or not.

For example \(\frac{x}{2^n5^m}\), (where x, n and m are integers) will always be terminating decimal.

(We need reducing in case when we have the prime in denominator other then 2 or 5 to see whether it could be reduced. For example fraction \(\frac{6}{15}\) has 3 as prime in denominator and we need to know if it can be reduced.)

Questions testing this concept:
700-question-94641.html?hilit=terminating%20decimal
is-r-s2-is-a-terminating-decimal-91360.html?hilit=terminating%20decimal
pl-explain-89566.html?hilit=terminating%20decimal
which-of-the-following-fractions-88937.html?hilit=terminating%20decimal

BACK TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION:
Any decimal that has only a finite number of nonzero digits is a terminating decimal. For example, 12, 0.13, and 4.068 are three terminating decimals. If j and k are positive integers and the ratio j/k is expressed as a decimal, is j/k a terminating decimal?

(1) \(k = 3\) --> now, if \(j=3p\) (j is a multiple of 3) then \(\frac{j}{k}=\frac{3p}{3}=p=integer=terminating \ decimal\) but if \(j\) is not a multiple of 3 then reduced fraction \(\frac{j}{k}=\frac{j}{3}\) won't be a terminating decimal, as denominator has primes other than 2 and/or 5. Not sufficient.

(2) \(j\) is an odd multiple of 3 --> \(j=3(2k+1)\), clearly insufficient as no info about the denominator \(k\).

(1)+(2) \(\frac{j}{k}=\frac{3(2k+1)}{3}=2k+1=integer=terminating \ decimal\). Sufficient.

Answer: C.

So I guess for this type of questions we can never asume that k>j unless it says so in the question stem. Am I right?
Cheers
J :)

Yes, nothing in the stem indicates that k must be greater than j.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: University of Florida
Own Kudos [?]: 2976 [4]
Given Kudos: 630
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 2: 610 Q44 V30
GMAT 3: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 4: 590 Q35 V35
GPA: 3.45
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM