Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 422 [15]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619012 [4]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 422 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Must be true - number properties [#permalink]
Bunuel,

Does that mean that me never count 1 as a factor?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619012 [1]
Send PM
Re: Must be true - number properties [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
medanova wrote:
Bunuel,

Does that mean that me never count 1 as a factor?

No. 1 is a factor of every positive integer. Also 1 is a perfect square (1=1^2) and it has 1 (so odd) factor - itself.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: If x and y are distinct prime numbers, each greater than 2, [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi All,

Roman Numeral questions on the GMAT often come with a "design shortcut", meaning that you probably WON'T have to think about all 3 Roman Numerals (IF you pay attention to how the answer choices are designed).

Here, we're told that X and Y are DISTINCT (meaning "different") PRIME numbers that are each greater than 2. We're asked which of the following Roman Numerals MUST be true (which really means "which of these is ALWAYS TRUE no matter how many different examples you can come up with). It's often easier to try to prove that something is NOT true, so that should be our goal here - try to come up with a way to disprove a Roman Numeral so that we can ELIMINATE it.

TESTing VALUES will work perfectly here.

I. (X+Y) is divisible by 4

3+5 = 8 which is divisible by 4
3+7 = 10 which is NOT divisible by 4
Roman Numeral 1 is NOT always true, so we can ELIMINATE IT.

**NOTE: Look at the answers. Since Roman Numeral 1 has been eliminated, we can....
1) Eliminate answers A, C and E.
2) Notice that the two remaining answers both have Roman Numeral II in them, so that Roman Numeral MUST be TRUE. As such, we don't even have to deal with it!!!!!

III. (X+Y) has an even number of factors

3+5 = 8 which has 4 factors
3+7 = 10 which has 4 factors
3+11 = 14 which has 4 factors
3+13 = 16 which has 5 factors
Roman Numeral 3 is NOT always true, so we can ELIMINATE IT.
Eliminate Answer D.

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3130 [0]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
If x and y are distinct prime numbers, each greater than 2, [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
nades09 wrote:
Source: 4Gmat
Q. If x and y are distinct prime numbers, each greater than 2, which of the following must be true?

(I) x+y is divisible by 4
(II)x * y has even number of factors
(III)x+y has an even number of factors

A. I only
B. II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I and II only

I plugged in numbers for each option, but it took me more than 2 mins to get to the right answer -OA is B.

I had to consider x=13 and y=23 for ruling out (III), since x+y in this case =36 which has odd no. of factors.

PLease explain if there is any other method for solving this under 2 mins

Thanks
NAD

First of all we are asked "which of the following MUST be true" not COULD be true.

"MUST BE TRUE" questions:
These questions ask which of the following MUST be true, or which of the following is ALWAYS true no matter what set of numbers you choose. Generally for such kind of questions if you can prove that a statement is NOT true for one particular set of numbers, it will mean that this statement is not always true and hence not a correct answer.

As for "COULD BE TRUE" questions:
The questions asking which of the following COULD be true are different: if you can prove that a statement is true for one particular set of numbers, it will mean that this statement could be true and hence is a correct answer.

I. x+y is divisible by 4 --> if \(x=3\) and \(y=7\) then \(x+y=10\), which is not divisible by 4. So this statement is not always true;

II. xy has even number of factors --> only perfect squares have an odd number of factors (check this: a-perfect-square-79108.html?hilit=perfect%20square%20reverse#p791479), as \(x\) and \(y\) are distinct prime numbers then \(xy\) cannot be a perfect square and thus cannot have an odd number of factors, so \(xy\) must have an even number of factors. This statement is always true;

III. x+y has an even number of factors --> now, \(x+y\) can be a perfect square, for example if \(x=3\) and \(y=13\) then \(x+y=16=perfect \ square\), so \(x+y\) can have an odd number of factors. So this statement is not always true;

Answer: B (II only).

Hope it's clear.

Are there any other primes so that there sum yields a perfect square ?
what about x-y being a perfect square ?
is it possible too?
just curious as i got this question wrong ..
Did not think of 13 and 3
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619012 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Chiragjordan wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
nades09 wrote:
Source: 4Gmat
Q. If x and y are distinct prime numbers, each greater than 2, which of the following must be true?

(II)x * y has even number of factors
(III)x+y has an even number of factors

A. I only
B. II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I and II only

I plugged in numbers for each option, but it took me more than 2 mins to get to the right answer -OA is B.

I had to consider x=13 and y=23 for ruling out (III), since x+y in this case =36 which has odd no. of factors.

PLease explain if there is any other method for solving this under 2 mins

Thanks
NAD

First of all we are asked "which of the following MUST be true" not COULD be true.

"MUST BE TRUE" questions:
These questions ask which of the following MUST be true, or which of the following is ALWAYS true no matter what set of numbers you choose. Generally for such kind of questions if you can prove that a statement is NOT true for one particular set of numbers, it will mean that this statement is not always true and hence not a correct answer.

As for "COULD BE TRUE" questions:
The questions asking which of the following COULD be true are different: if you can prove that a statement is true for one particular set of numbers, it will mean that this statement could be true and hence is a correct answer.

I. x+y is divisible by 4 --> if \(x=3\) and \(y=7\) then \(x+y=10\), which is not divisible by 4. So this statement is not always true;

II. xy has even number of factors --> only perfect squares have an odd number of factors (check this: a-perfect-square-79108.html?hilit=perfect%20square%20reverse#p791479), as \(x\) and \(y\) are distinct prime numbers then \(xy\) cannot be a perfect square and thus cannot have an odd number of factors, so \(xy\) must have an even number of factors. This statement is always true;

III. x+y has an even number of factors --> now, \(x+y\) can be a perfect square, for example if \(x=3\) and \(y=13\) then \(x+y=16=perfect \ square\), so \(x+y\) can have an odd number of factors. So this statement is not always true;

Answer: B (II only).

Hope it's clear.

Are there any other primes so that there sum yields a perfect square ?
what about x-y being a perfect square ?
is it possible too?
just curious as i got this question wrong ..
Did not think of 13 and 3

2 + 7 = 9 = 3^2
3 + 13 = 16 = 4^2
2 + 23 = 25 = 5^2
5 + 31 = 36 = 6^2
2 + 47 = 49 = 7^2
3 + 61 = 64 = 8^2

3 - 2 = 1 = 1^2
7 - 3 = 4 = 2^2
11 - 2 = 9 = 3^2
19 - 3 = 16 = 4^2
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
nades09 wrote:
If x and y are distinct prime numbers, each greater than 2, which of the following must be true?

(II) x*y has even number of factors
(III) x+y has an even number of factors

A. I only
B. II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I and II only

Since x and y are prime numbers greater than two, they are both odd prime numbers. Let’s analyze each answer choice:

I. x+y is divisible by 4

This is not true. If x = 11 and y = 7, then x + y = 18, which is not divisible by 4.

II. x*y has an even number of factors

The only numbers that have an odd number of factors are perfect squares. Since x and y are distinct primes, x*y can’t be a perfect square, and thus it must have an even number of factors. This statement is true.

III. x+y has an even number of factors

This is not true. If x = 3 and y = 13, then x + y = 16, which is a perfect square. Recall that in Roman numeral II, we’ve mentioned that a perfect square has an odd number of factors.

Answer: B
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts