Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2134 [52]
Given Kudos: 193
 Q29  V6 GMAT 3: 430  Q31  V19
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618897 [17]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [7]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2134 [0]
Given Kudos: 193
 Q29  V6 GMAT 3: 430  Q31  V19
Send PM
Re: There are 10 people in a room. If each person shakes hands with exactl [#permalink]
why do we have to divide 30 by 2...
substituting 5 with 10, i would get 5 which is half of 10.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 253 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance
Schools:University of Economics Prague
Send PM
Re: There are 10 people in a room. If each person shakes hands with exactl [#permalink]
Hello Karishma

Can you please explain further?
I think I don't quite understand it.

Is is so, that when you want to shake hand with 3 people, the number of persons in the group has to be even and equal or greater than 4?

Thanks

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
shrive555 wrote:
There are 10 people in a room. If each person shakes hands with exactly 3 other people, what is the total number of handshakes?

Consider one hand that gets shaken as one event. One person shakes his hand with three other people so 3 events take place per person. In all 10*3 = 30 events take place. But two hands make one handshake. So 30 of these events will make 15 handshakes.

Question: Substitute 5 in place of 10. What do you get? Why?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
shrive555 wrote:
why do we have to divide 30 by 2...
substituting 5 with 10, i would get 5 which is half of 10.

Consider you and I shake hands. When I count 30, I have counted it twice. Once for you, and once for me. But it is actually just one handshake. Each one of those 30 events was one hand that was shaken. Two of those events make one handshake so we divide by 2.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
craky wrote:
Hello Karishma

Can you please explain further?
I think I don't quite understand it.

Is is so, that when you want to shake hand with 3 people, the number of persons in the group has to be even and equal or greater than 4?

Thanks

shrive555 wrote:
There are 10 people in a room. If each person shakes hands with exactly 3 other people, what is the total number of handshakes?

Consider one hand that gets shaken as one event. One person shakes his hand with three other people so 3 events take place per person. In all 10*3 = 30 events take place. But two hands make one handshake. So 30 of these events will make 15 handshakes.

Ok Look.

4 people: shrive555, craky, karishma and Mr X
We have to shake hands in this group such that each person shakes hands with 3 people.

So shrive555 starts:
shrive555 - craky : 1 handshake but 2 hands were shaken. shrive555's and craky's
shrive555 - karishma : 1 handshake but 2 hands were shaken. shrive555's and karishma's
shrive555 - Mr X : 1 handshake but 2 hands were shaken. shrive555's and Mr X's

Now shrive555 has shaken hands with 3 people. There were 3 handshakes. But 6 hands were shaken.
Now, when all 4 of us shake hands with 3 people, each person's hand will be shaken 3 times. i.e. in all 12 hands will be shaken. But they will add up to only 6 handshakes.
The other 3 handshakes will be:
craky - karishma
craky - Mr X
karishma - Mr X
So all of us have shaken hands with exactly 3 people.

Similarly when there are 10 people, each person shakes his hand 3 times. So in all 30. But 2 of these hands combined to make one handshake. So we will get only 15 total handshakes.

Now when there are 5 people and each person has to shake hands with exactly 3 people, each person will shake his hand 3 times. We will have total 15 hands that will be shaken. So how many handshakes does it make? 7.5? That is not possible. This is because it is not possible for 5 people to shake hands such that each person will shake hands with exactly 3 people. Can you think of the condition which must be satisfied such that it is possible that each person shakes hands with exactly 3 people? (craky, you are there. Just think some more to be clear.)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
shrive555 wrote:

[/quote]

Ok Look.

4 people: shrive555, craky, karishma and Mr X
We have to shake hands in this group such that each person shakes hands with 3 people.

So shrive555 starts:
shrive555 - craky : 1 handshake but 2 hands were shaken. shrive555's and craky's
shrive555 - karishma : 1 handshake but 2 hands were shaken. shrive555's and karishma's
shrive555 - Mr X : 1 handshake but 2 hands were shaken. shrive555's and Mr X's

Now shrive555 has shaken hands with 3 people. There were 3 handshakes. But 6 hands were shaken.
Now, when all 4 of us shake hands with 3 people, each person's hand will be shaken 3 times. i.e. in all 12 hands will be shaken. But they will add up to only 6 handshakes.
The other 3 handshakes will be:
craky - karishma
craky - Mr X
karishma - Mr X
So all of us have shaken hands with exactly 3 people.

Similarly when there are 10 people, each person shakes his hand 3 times. So in all 30. But 2 of these hands combined to make one handshake. So we will get only 15 total handshakes.

Now when there are 5 people and each person has to shake hands with exactly 3 people, each person will shake his hand 3 times. We will have total 15 hands that will be shaken. So how many handshakes does it make? 7.5? That is not possible. This is because it is not possible for 5 people to shake hands such that each person will shake hands with exactly 3 people. Can you think of the condition which must be satisfied such that it is possible that each person shakes hands with exactly 3 people? (craky, you are there. Just think some more to be clear.)[/quote]

Hi Karishma,

Take this forward for 10 individuals we have the following scenario:

1 & 2, - 1st unique handshake
1 & 3, - 2nd unique handshake
1 & 4, - 3rd unique handshake
2 & 1,
2 & 3, - 4th unique handshake
2 & 4, - 5th unique handshake
3 & 1,
3 & 2,
3 & 4, - 6th unique handshake

Case for individual number 5, 6, 7 and 8 will also make 6 unique handshakes. So in all 12 upto now.

For individual number 9 and 10.

9 & 10 - 11th unique handshake
10 & 9

Now, individuals numbered 9 and 10 don't even end up meeting the condition of "exactly 3 handshakes".

I selected 15, as it was the closest (to 11 unique handshakes) choice. Can you please assist? Thanks.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Meetup wrote:

Hi Karishma,

Take this forward for 10 individuals we have the following scenario:

1 & 2, - 1st unique handshake
1 & 3, - 2nd unique handshake
1 & 4, - 3rd unique handshake
2 & 1,
2 & 3, - 4th unique handshake
2 & 4, - 5th unique handshake
3 & 1,
3 & 2,
3 & 4, - 6th unique handshake

Case for individual number 5, 6, 7 and 8 will also make 6 unique handshakes. So in all 12 upto now.

For individual number 9 and 10.

9 & 10 - 11th unique handshake
10 & 9

Now, individuals numbered 9 and 10 don't even end up meeting the condition of "exactly 3 handshakes".

I selected 15, as it was the closest (to 11 unique handshakes) choice. Can you please assist? Thanks.

Since it is given that each person does shake hands with exactly 3 people, it will certainly be possible. Here is one such instance:

1&2
3&4
5&6
7&8
9&10
(Each person shakes hands once)

1&3
2&5
4&7
6&9
8&10
(Each person shakes hand with another person)

1&5
2&9
3&7
4&10
6&8
(Each person shakes hands with yet another person)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [0]
Given Kudos: 872
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
Send PM
shrive555 wrote:

Can you please suggest more questions like this one to practice?
I struggled with this one really..my approach was different for solving this. Your approach is really creative, and without having solved something of this sort before or read about the method you used, I wouldn't have been able to do this question. Please also suggest something to read.
Thank you so much :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1561 [3]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
There are 10 people in a room. If each person shakes hands with exactl [#permalink]
Kudos
shrive555 wrote:

if each of the 10 had shaken hands once with 9 others,
there would have been 10*9/2, or 45 total handshakes,
but, because only one third (3 out of 9) of possible handshakes take place,
there are only one third (15 out of 45) total handshakes
A
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi All,

Since the answer choices are so "spread out", there's an interesting way to get to the correct answer by avoiding complex math and using "brute force" and a comparison:

We're told that there are 10 people in the room and that each person shakes hands with 3 other people.

Let's say there were 4 people, who we'll call A, B, C and D.

The handshakes would be:
AB
AC
AD
BC
BD
CD

In this situation, each person shook hands with 3 people and there was a total of 6 handshakes.

If we TRIPLED the number of people, then we'd have 12 people, and we'd have TRIPLE the handshakes: 6 x 3 = 18.

Since we have FEWER than 12 people, we'll have FEWER than 18 handshakes. There's only one answer that fits:

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29920 [3]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos