Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [14]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618806 [4]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: DS: Coordinate Plane [#permalink]
OK, while I had not considered the additional possibilities of a rotated position, I concur that the answer is E.

Unless I have missed something, this question is wrong?

Are we absolutely sure that Q1 is not implied?
Attachments

File comment: Official Question
Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg [ 102.97 KiB | Viewed 6859 times ]

Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618806 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
JenniferClopton wrote:
OK, while I had not considered the additional possibilities of a rotated position, I concur that the answer is E.

Unless I have missed something, this question is wrong?

Are we absolutely sure that Q1 is not implied?

Yes, I think answer A is wrong. Can you please post OE for it to see where they went wrong?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 511 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
JenniferClopton wrote:
A rectangle is plotted on the standard coordinate plane, with vertices at the origin and (12,0). What are the coordinates of the other two vertices?

(1) The length of the diagonal is 13 units.

(2) The distance between the origin and one of the other vertices is 5 units.

The answr must be "E". Not "A". Please post the correct OA.

Here is the simle explanation.

Just imagine the rectangle in the co-ordinate place. You get the answer. No need to use any calculations/values.

The below shows the picture with two rectangles, one in red and another in green, which can be drawn for statement given and which have different co-ordinates except the two given in the question.

Attachment:
rectangles.JPG
rectangles.JPG [ 7.93 KiB | Viewed 6725 times ]

Regards,
Murali.
Kudos?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
even if it is implied the answer shud be D not A becoz 5 cant be the diagonal as one side is already 12 and the diagonal will be greater than both sides.

Cheers,
Jaxis.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Yes, I think answer A is wrong.

muralimba wrote:
The answr must be "E". Not "A". Please post the correct OA.

The answer has been corrected above. Also, for any Grockit subscribers, I have reported the error to the Grockit support team.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
wow good question i didnt see the other quadrant possibility.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: A rectangle is plotted on the standard coordinate plane, [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
JenniferClopton wrote:
A rectangle is plotted on the standard coordinate plane, with vertices at the origin and (12,0). What are the coordinates of the other two vertices?

So we have two vertices O(0,0) and B(12,0). First note that OA may be either one of the sides or a diagonal.

(1) The length of the diagonal is 13 units --> clearly OA is not a diagonal, so it's one of the sides. Now, if we take the length of the other side to be equal to x then we'll have x^2+12^2=13^2 --> x=5. But from this we can not get the coordinates of the other vertices. As you correctly noted rectangle can be in I quadrant with the other two vertices at (0, 5) and (12, 5) OR in IV quadrant with the other two vertices at (0, -5) and (12, -5). Not sufficient.

(2) The distance between the origin and one of the other vertices is 5 units. Clearly insufficient.

(1)+(2) Still two answers are possible: (0, 5) and (12, 5) OR (0, -5) and (12, -5). Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

How can a rectangle have two unequal parallel sides (12 & 13)?

beats me
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
hamzakb wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
JenniferClopton wrote:

So we have two vertices O(0,0) and B(12,0). First note that OA may be either one of the sides or a diagonal.

(1) The length of the diagonal is 13 units --> clearly OA is not a diagonal, so it's one of the sides. Now, if we take the length of the other side to be equal to x then we'll have x^2+12^2=13^2 --> x=5. But from this we can not get the coordinates of the other vertices. As you correctly noted rectangle can be in I quadrant with the other two vertices at (0, 5) and (12, 5) OR in IV quadrant with the other two vertices at (0, -5) and (12, -5). Not sufficient.

(2) The distance between the origin and one of the other vertices is 5 units. Clearly insufficient.

(1)+(2) Still two answers are possible: (0, 5) and (12, 5) OR (0, -5) and (12, -5). Not sufficient.

Answer: E.

How can a rectangle have two unequal parallel sides (12 & 13)?

beats me

It cannot. Where in my solution is written this?
Intern
Intern
Send PM

(2) The distance between the origin and one of the other vertices is 5 units.[/quote]

Answer: E.[/quote][/quote]

You say clearly OA is not a diagonal, it is one of the side. I think you are mentioning to two sets of parallel lines having length 12 & 13?

Also, how can 13 not be a diagonal, given that it has been explicitly mentioned in the question that it IS a diagonal.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
hamzakb wrote:
You say clearly OA is not a diagonal, it is one of the side. I think you are mentioning to two sets of parallel lines having length 12 & 13?

Also, how can 13 not be a diagonal, given that it has been explicitly mentioned in the question that it IS a diagonal.

You are not reading the question and the solution carefully. Also, with geometry and coordinate geometry question it's always a good idea to make a sketch:
Attachment:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 8.01 KiB | Viewed 5553 times ]
OA is NOT the diagonal it's one of the sides, diagonal = 13. Two possible rectangles.

Hope it's clear now.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
hamzakb wrote:

You are not reading the question and the solution carefully. Also, with geometry and coordinate geometry question it's always a good idea to make a sketch:
Attachment:
Untitled.png
OA is NOT the diagonal it's one of the sides, diagonal = 13. Two possible rectangles.

Hope it's clear now.

I get it. I didn't understand properly before.

Thanks a lot!! Your posts are the most helpful I've found on the net
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16594 [1]
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM