Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:12 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3525 [4]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE:Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 344 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: The demand for airplane mechanics is expected to grow about ten percen [#permalink]
Quote:
(A) new federal rules calling for major modifica-
tions to older planes.................................."calling for" unidiomatic

(B) new federal rules, which call for major modifi-
cations to older planes...............................wrong use of "which"

(C) new federal rules call for major modifications
to older planes.........................................."call for" correct idiom

(D) major modifications to older planes called for
by new federal rules...................................passive voice hence not preferable

(E) major modifications to older planes are called
for according to new federal rules.................awkward

Hence "C"
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 863 [3]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Send PM
Re: The demand for airplane mechanics is expected to grow about ten percen [#permalink]
Kudos
ajit257,

First off, Kudos to you for asking about a question that you got right! Too often we stop studying a question simply because we got it right, even if we didn't really master it.

Now: This question has a bunch of errors and common misconceptions, so I want to help break it down:

1. First issue: "because...calling for" (participles vs. verbs)

"New federal rules call for modifications to planes." --> This is correct. "New federal rules" is the subject, and "call" is the verb.

"New federal rules calling for modifications to planes were enacted by the FAA." --> This is also correct. Here, the subject is 'new federal rules" and "were enacted" is the predicate. The middleman "calling for modifications to planes" modifies the rules, and thus "calling" is a participle, not a verb.

What we have in this example is:

"New federal rules calling for modification...and..." --> This construction in A is incorrect. There would have to be a verb after "planes" for this to be OK, and there isn't.

2. Second issue: "new federal rules, which call for..." (modifiers)

The construction: "noun - comma - which" could be OK (for example: "The house on the left, which is blue, is huge.") since the noun modifier beginning with "which" correctly describes the noun preceding the comma. Again, as above, you would need a verb after "planes." Here, unfortunately, you don't have a verb for this subject.

3. "called for by" / "called for according to" (active vs passive voice)

In D and E, we have the passive voice: "modifications CALLED for BY" and "ARE CALLED FOR ACCORDING TO."

It's important to note that no SC answer choice will be wrong simply on the basis of passive vs. active verbs. Although we tend to prefer the active voice (many of your future Business school professors will point this out regularly), there is no rule that says "passive voice is wrong."

So D and E are wrong, but not necessarily because they are in passive voice. I'm happy to give this one away, but I'd rather see you smart folks out in cyber world solve this.

What's the most clear grammatical reason D and E are wrong?

Brett
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
BKimball wrote:
ajit257,

First off, Kudos to you for asking about a question that you got right! Too often we stop studying a question simply because we got it right, even if we didn't really master it.

Now: This question has a bunch of errors and common misconceptions, so I want to help break it down:

1. First issue: "because...calling for" (participles vs. verbs)

"New federal rules call for modifications to planes." --> This is correct. "New federal rules" is the subject, and "call" is the verb.

"New federal rules calling for modifications to planes were enacted by the FAA." --> This is also correct. Here, the subject is 'new federal rules" and "were enacted" is the predicate. The middleman "calling for modifications to planes" modifies the rules, and thus "calling" is a participle, not a verb.

What we have in this example is:

"New federal rules calling for modification...and..." --> This construction in A is incorrect. There would have to be a verb after "planes" for this to be OK, and there isn't.

2. Second issue: "new federal rules, which call for..." (modifiers)

The construction: "noun - comma - which" could be OK (for example: "The house on the left, which is blue, is huge.") since the noun modifier beginning with "which" correctly describes the noun preceding the comma. Again, as above, you would need a verb after "planes." Here, unfortunately, you don't have a verb for this subject.

3. "called for by" / "called for according to" (active vs passive voice)

In D and E, we have the passive voice: "modifications CALLED for BY" and "ARE CALLED FOR ACCORDING TO."

It's important to note that no SC answer choice will be wrong simply on the basis of passive vs. active verbs. Although we tend to prefer the active voice (many of your future Business school professors will point this out regularly), there is no rule that says "passive voice is wrong."

So D and E are wrong, but not necessarily because they are in passive voice. I'm happy to give this one away, but I'd rather see you smart folks out in cyber world solve this.

What's the most clear grammatical reason D and E are wrong?

Brett

D - I guess has same problem as in A. it expects a verb after construction and 'called' is not a verb here.

E - This one was tough to reason out. I cant see any exact problem here. if not C, E would have been my option. Other than being passive when compared with C. Or the position of 'according to new fed rules' is incorrect? i guess..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
Call for - make necessary or demand

I think D and E are very awkward. Option D seems to convey as though "major modification" is needed for "Older planes called for by new federal rules", it doesn't say that modification is made necessary or called for, rather it is modifying 'plane', leading to the meaning 'major modification to the older planes that are made necessary by federal rule. So, it's the older planes, here, that are made necessary, not the modification to the older planes. This leads to alter the meaning of the sentence. Moreover, even it has a grammatical mistake because 'called' here needs 'are' before 'called' to complete the sentence for proper sense, otherwise the sentence gives a wrong as if 'modification' is demanding or making something necessary.
E -- 'BY' could be a better use than 'according to' and the sentence is a bit wordy and very clumsy

(D) major modifications to older planes called for
by new federal rules
(E) major modifications to older planes are called
for according to new federal rules
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 138
Schools: Molson
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V29
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
I am not able to eliminate ..A...
I chose by considering comparison factor... calling... Adding...

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts