Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [21]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V19
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [3]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 400 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618971 [2]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Re: A certain group of car dealerships agreed to donate x dollars to a Red [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
GMATD11 wrote:
92) A certain group of car dealerships agreed to donate x dollars to a Red Cross Chapter for each car sold during a 30-day period.What was the total amount that was expected to be donated?

a) A total of 500 cars were expected to be sold
b) Sixty more cars were sold than expected, so that the total amount actually donated was $28,000

a) as 500 are expected to be sold and x dollars are expected to be donated for each car => Expected donation will be 500x .
sufficient

b) it is giving the actual amount donated but we need expected donation amount NS

But this is wrong

Official Guide:

In data sufficiency problems that ask for the value of a quantity, the data given in the statements are sufficient only when it is possible to determine exactly one numerical value for the quantity.

Statement (1) gives us the expression with unknown (500x) rather than single numerical value for the quantity thus it's not sufficient.

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 715 [3]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Re: A certain group of car dealerships agreed to donate x dollars to a Red [#permalink]
Kudos
A certain group of car dealerships agreed to donate x dollars to Red Cross chapter for each car sold during the 30 day period. what was the total amount that was expected to be donated?

(1) A total of 500 cars were expected to be sold
(2) 60 more cars were sold than expected, so that the total amount actually donated was 28,000$

I came with E and was wrong
My point was that the first statement doesn't tell us that the plan to sold 500 cars was established for the 30day period. Just in general to sell 500 cars
Please - what can't i grasp here - could someone tell me?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2095 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Hi,

This is how I broke it down & I think I did fall for the trap answer e.

Statement 1: expected cars to be sold = 500 Not Sufficient as donation amt nt given

Statement 2 :( expected cars + 60 cars) x donation per car = 28000
Not sufficient

Combined 560 x donation per car = 2800

Hence sufficient

We miss that its expected cars + 60 & not actual cars + 60

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 715 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Guys
i understand that the question is pretty simple )
but i used to think data can be sufficient only if it gives us necessary information
I read the first statement as "500 cars will be sold in general, not during the month, within which the agreement took place".
Otherwise it should be written " A total of 500 cars were expected to be sold within the 30 day period"
Anyway, C is correct, and I must to go w it
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:CASS
 Q43  V34
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Gailiya,

I understand your point. I had a similar problem with another question. Go to think link and have a look:

all-the-clients-that-company-x-had-at-the-beginning-of-last-128023.html

Sometimes, GMAT questions expect us to assume that certain information is understood. I personally feel such GMAT questions are flawed.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 715 [0]
Send PM
Thank you, Naina!
will try to figure out such a flaws )
Manager
Manager
Status:I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools: Johnson '15
Send PM
Kudos
Galiya wrote:
A certain group of car dealerships agreed to donate x dollars to Red Cross chapter for each car sold during the 30 day period. what was the total amount that was expected to be donated?

(2) 60 more cars were sold than expected, so that the total amount actually donated was 28,000$

I came with E and was wrong
My point was that the first statement doesn't tell us that the plan to sold 500 cars was established for the 30day period. Just in general to sell 500 cars
Please - what can't i grasp here - could someone tell me?

Missed the key words Expected & Actual...

Went with E, but C is the correct answer
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6042 [0]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Is the answer when combined 25000?

Let n be the total number of cars and X be the amount

Statement 1

Gives us n = 500, X = ?

we dont' know X not sufficient

Statement 2

(n+60) X = 28000

Not sufficient

Combined

560 X = 28000

X = 50

Nx = 500 * 50 >> 25000

Sufficient C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
A certain group of car dealerships agreed to donate x dollars to a Red Cross Chapter for each car sold during a 30-day period.What was the total amount that was expected to be donated?

(2) Sixty more cars were sold than expected, so that the total amount actually donated was $28,000

statement 1: we are only given how many cars were expected to be sold. We need amount donated per car to find out expected donation.
statement 2: so what if 60 more cars were sold...we don't know how many were expected to sold

1+2:-

We have the total donation amount and number of cars we can find the amount donated for each car:

28000/560= 50

expected---50*500= 25000

Ans is C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
GMATD11 wrote:
A certain group of car dealerships agreed to donate x dollars to a Red Cross Chapter for each car sold during a 30-day period.What was the total amount that was expected to be donated?

(2) Sixty more cars were sold than expected, so that the total amount actually donated was $28,000

a) as 500 are expected to be sold and x dollars are expected to be donated for each car => Expected donation will be 500x .
sufficient

b) it is giving the actual amount donated but we need expected donation amount NS

But this is wrong

we need both statement one and two as question is (total amount that was expected to be donated)
hence c
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
GPA: 3.27
Send PM
Is the 30-day period mentioned in the question completely irrelevant in this case? What if the amounts given would have been over a 60-day period and we don't know it - wouldn't we have had to double the amounts? I had put ''E - Neither'' because of that.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Why do we assume that each car contributes the same amount?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92914 posts