Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:15 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1135 [13]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: General
WE 1: 2 IT
WE 2: 4 Software Analyst
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: General
WE 1: 2 IT
WE 2: 4 Software Analyst
Send PM
Re: Because it permits a slower and more natural rhythm of life, living in [#permalink]
diebeatsthegmat wrote:
i chose B. whats the answer?

Hi - you can't infer (B) based off of a survey, survey data is not always 100% reliable
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Because it permits a slower and more natural rhythm of life, living in [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
gtr022001 wrote:
diebeatsthegmat wrote:
i chose B. whats the answer?

Hi - you can't infer (B) based off of a survey, survey data is not always 100% reliable

This is definitely not the rationale for ruling out (B). The survey data is not flawed here and in fact, I would think that on all CR related questions you should assume what you're told is true. CR questions aren't intended to test your ability to rationalize whether or not the premise, conclusion, or data by itself is TRUE but how the logic and/or argument is flawed or can be better supported

Anyway, how I reasoned out (B) is that data showing that people in the country get sick doesn't say anything about their lifestyle directly. All you know is that they get sick AS OFTEN and as SERIOUSLY as those city slickers. They can still be living a slow paced life but they just get sick just as much - for literally whatever reason in the world. And that's pretty much what (A) is saying - living in the country isn't healthier than living in the city.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Kudos
Someone explain why A I choose E

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Kudos

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2218
GMAT 1: 620 Q45 V30
Send PM
Someone explain why A I choose E????
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
AbhishekDhanraJ72 wrote:
Someone explain why A I choose E????

Hi Abhishek

Option (E) states that the amount of stress is dependent on the rhythm of life. There is nothing in the stimulus presented that points to such a connection. Let us analyze what the stimulus says about rhythm and stress.

i) Living in the country allows a slower and more natural rhythm of life than living in the city.
ii) This is supposed to make living in the country more relaxing.
iii) People living in the country experience an equal amount of stress as those living in the city.

As you can see, (i) and (ii) taken together are in direct contradiction to (iii) - if stress depends on rhythm of life, then how do people living in the country and the city (which have different rhythms) have an equal amount of stress? Hence option (E) is not a correct inference from the information given in the stimulus.

Hope this helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GPA: 3.56
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Because it permits a slower and more natural rhythm of life, living in [#permalink]
Kratul412 wrote:

A) Living in the country is neither healthier nor more relaxing than city <== Paraphrase: Living in country is not more healthier than living in city and doesn't prove to be relaxed (less stressful) compared with living in city.
Looks like same thing as mentioned in premises/statements in question, let's keep it.

B) Living in the country does NOT in fact permit a slower and more natural rythm of life than living in city.
==> Surveys say people in country are as unheallthy and as stressful as people living in city, but no where mentions that rythm is NOT slower and more natural. Moreover, does NOT encapsulate other premise - healthy/unhealthy thing. Eliminate it

C) People whose rythm of life is slow and natural often recover earlier from illness.
==> May be, may be NOT. Not mentioned in survey/premise. Eliminate

D) Despite what people believe natural rythm of life is unhealthy.
==> May be, may be NOT. Not mentioned in survey/premise. Eliminate

E) The amount of stress one experiences depends on that person's rythm of life.
==> May be, may be NOT. Not mentioned in survey/premise. Moreover, does NOT encapsulate other premise - healthy/unhealthy thing. Eliminate

Now, with this process of elimination (POE), we are left with only one option - A. Hence that should be our answer.

Press kudos, if my efforts have helped you in any possible way.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
vjsharma25 wrote:
Attachment:
country life.png

A) Living in the country is neither healthier nor more relaxing than city - CORRECT. Perfect since the end result - stress - is of similar scale.

B) Living in the country does NOT in fact permit a slower and more natural rythm of life than living in city. - WRONG. It's against the passage which is not inferable. A comparison is altogether not possible in the other way round.

C) People whose rythm of life is slow and natural often recover earlier from illness. - WRONG. Recovery is out of context, not inferable.

D) Despite what people believe natural rythm of life is unhealthy. - WRONG. Explicit claim is generally wrong but here its wrong as its not inferable.

E) The amount of stress one experiences depends on that person's rythm of life. - WRONG. Causality is not inferable, nonetheless what it infers is plain wrong.

Answer A.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts