Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 205 [21]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Health Care)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [6]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 205 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: Farmer: Though illnesses caused by commercial produce [#permalink]
hi crick20002002 - thanks for your reply.

I do think that D is the correct answer, but isn't it because it eliminates an alternative cause for the stomach pain and food allergies? Maybe the farmer didn't know that the small quantities of pesticides do cause illness that has similar symptoms like food allergies such as: stomach pain and food allergies symptoms. This statement eliminate that option and say: it cannot be true that stomach pain and other food allergies symptoms are associated with illness that is caused by pesticides, and even if they are, these cases are rare and take longer to manifest.

Hope to get your opinion on that,
Elad

Originally posted by eladshus on 01 Jul 2011, 23:19.
Last edited by eladshus on 02 Jul 2011, 00:37, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship,International Business
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q44  V34 GMAT 2: 640  Q48  V31 GMAT 3: 690  Q47  V38
GPA: 3.7
WE 1: Information Technology
Send PM
khadoosbaby wrote:
C.. not sure though

C is 180 degree switch. Cause -- > Effect, does not mean Effect -- > Cause.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I agree to the answer choice D as well. I am unable to understand the meaning of the answer choice A. My understanding of it is as follows:
I People who eat pesticide infected food and who have no food allergies suffer from pain
II People who have food allergies and who do not eat pesticide infected food do not suffer from pain.
It would be too exaggerated to say the people of group II do not suffer from any pain. The author means that people of group I suffer more pain than people of group I.

Choice A, in light of the above understanding, weakens the argument.

Request the mods and other fellow users to throw light on it.
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3945 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
+1 D

The symptons of illness caused by pesticides are different. Therefore, they are not the cause of the stomach pains experienced by the consumers.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
eladshus wrote:
Farmer: Though illnesses caused by commercial produce consumption are usually attributed to the use of pesticides on the affected plants, the reality is that pesticides are not usually to blame. Since pesticides are only dangerous when consumed in large quantities, most people who experience stomach pains as a result of eating some sort of fruit or vegetable are actually suffering as a result of their food allergies, and would have become just as ill from pesticide-free produce.

Which of the following, if true, best supports the farmer's argument?
(A) People who experience stomach pains from ingesting pesticides generally suffer from no more food allergies than do people who do not experience such symptoms.
(B) Numerous tests have shown that beef derived from livestock raised on pesticide-exposed feed is safe for human consumption.
(C) Pesticide allergies have been known to cause symptoms similar to those arising from food allergies.
(D) Stomach pain and other food allergy symptoms are not associated with illnesses caused by pesticides, which are statistically rare and take longer to manifest.
(E) Many fruits and vegetables trap pesticide residue in the porous cell membranes just under the skin.

Hi guys,

I am struggling to fully understand the following question. I don't have an official answer but I am leaning towards answer D.
Please help to fully understand the argument and the correct answer.

Between D and A, I personally like D better because it shows that those symptons are not from pesticides hence strengthening the conclusion that they must be cause by something else.
Cheers
J :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Question asks, "Which best supports the farmer's argument: 'When people experience stomach pains from fruit/vegetables, it is not from pesticides (which are harmful only in large quantities), but from food allergies.'".

Type: cause & effect
A: pesticides
B: stomach pains
C: food allergies
Claim: A -/-> B; rather, C -> B.

(A) People who experience stomach pains from ingesting pesticides generally suffer from no more food allergies than do people who do not experience such symptoms.
- I am a bit unclear as to whether this is saying that people with stomach pain are experiencing no food allergies, like those who do not have symptoms, OR that those with stomach pains experience just as much (or less) food allergies than those without symptoms (so you could have a) people with stomach pains from pesticides with food allergies, b) people with stomach pains from pesticides without food allergies, c) both people have food allergies, but one suffers from stomach pains, while the other does not). Regardless, this argument does not make it any clearer that food allergies (not pesticides) cause stomach pains, which is what the farmer wants to prove. Thus, Answer A is incorrect.

holidevil wrote:
I People who eat pesticide infected food and who have no food allergies suffer from pain
II People who have food allergies and who do not eat pesticide infected food do not suffer from pain.
It would be too exaggerated to say the people of group II do not suffer from any pain. The author means that people of group I suffer more pain than people of group I.

You are correct that Answer A weakens the argument, but the statement does not mention if people who have food allergies suffer from pain or not. The statement implies that A (pesticides) -> B (stomach pain); we cannot conclude that "Those with food allergies don't eat pesticides, so NO A (pesticides) -> NO B (pain), therefore food allergies -> no pain". It's only saying that people who have pain from pesticides may have just as much (or less) food allergies than symptom-free people. This would weaken the argument in the sense that this statement admits that pesticides can indeed cause stomach pains, regardless of food allergies.

(B) Numerous tests have shown that beef derived from livestock raised on pesticide-exposed feed is safe for human consumption.
- Incorrect: the farmer is talking about pesticide-related stomach pains from fruits/vegetables, not meat.

(C) Pesticide allergies have been known to cause symptoms similar to those arising from food allergies.
- Incorrect: it's already been established that pesticide and food allergy symptoms may be similar (stomach ache) -- we're trying to determine the actual cause.

(D) Stomach pain and other food allergy symptoms are not associated with illnesses caused by pesticides, which are statistically rare and take longer to manifest.
- Correct: This makes a strict distinction between food allergy symptoms and pesticide-related illnesses; in other words, stomach aches are symptomatic of food allergies, not pesticide-related illnesses. So, if someone gets a stomach ache, it can't be because of pesticides.

eladshus wrote:
I do think that D is the correct answer, but isn't it because it eliminates an alternative cause for the stomach pain and food allergies? Maybe the farmer didn't know that the small quantities of pesticides do cause illness that has similar symptoms like food allergies such as: stomach pain and food allergies symptoms. This statement eliminate that option and say: it cannot be true that stomach pain and other food allergies symptoms are associated with illness that is caused by pesticides, and even if they are, these cases are rare and take longer to manifest.

If you don't mind me commenting: I think that's what Crick is saying, if I understand you correctly, eladshus. Crick is saying that the two causes of stomach pains are either a) food allergies or b) pesticides. D eliminates b) as the cause by stating that stomach pain isn't a symptom of pesticide-related illnesses; so the alternative cause is a) food allergies, which has stomach pain as one of the symptoms. So, your reasoning is correct!

(E) Many fruits and vegetables trap pesticide residue in the porous cell membranes just under the skin.
- Incorrect: this does not prove that stomach aches come from food allergies rather than pesticides.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
sammervash wrote:
Question asks, "Which best supports the farmer's argument: 'When people experience stomach pains from fruit/vegetables, it is not from pesticides (which are harmful only in large quantities), but from food allergies.'".

Type: cause & effect
A: pesticides
B: stomach pains
C: food allergies
Claim: A -/-> B; rather, C -> B.

- I am a bit unclear as to whether this is saying that people with stomach pain are experiencing no food allergies, like those who do not have symptoms, OR that those with stomach pains experience just as much (or less) food allergies than those without symptoms (so you could have a) people with stomach pains from pesticides with food allergies, b) people with stomach pains from pesticides without food allergies, c) both people have food allergies, but one suffers from stomach pains, while the other does not). Regardless, this argument does not make it any clearer that food allergies (not pesticides) cause stomach pains, which is what the farmer wants to prove. Thus, Answer A is incorrect.

holidevil wrote:

You are correct that Answer A weakens the argument, but the statement does not mention if people who have food allergies suffer from pain or not. The statement implies that A (pesticides) -> B (stomach pain); we cannot conclude that "Those with food allergies don't eat pesticides, so NO A (pesticides) -> NO B (pain), therefore food allergies -> no pain". It's only saying that people who have pain from pesticides may have just as much (or less) food allergies than symptom-free people. This would weaken the argument in the sense that this statement admits that pesticides can indeed cause stomach pains, regardless of food allergies.

- Incorrect: the farmer is talking about pesticide-related stomach pains from fruits/vegetables, not meat.

- Incorrect: it's already been established that pesticide and food allergy symptoms may be similar (stomach ache) -- we're trying to determine the actual cause.

- Correct: This makes a strict distinction between food allergy symptoms and pesticide-related illnesses; in other words, stomach aches are symptomatic of food allergies, not pesticide-related illnesses. So, if someone gets a stomach ache, it can't be because of pesticides.

eladshus wrote:

If you don't mind me commenting: I think that's what Crick is saying, if I understand you correctly, eladshus. Crick is saying that the two causes of stomach pains are either a) food allergies or b) pesticides. D eliminates b) as the cause by stating that stomach pain isn't a symptom of pesticide-related illnesses; so the alternative cause is a) food allergies, which has stomach pain as one of the symptoms. So, your reasoning is correct!

- Incorrect: this does not prove that stomach aches come from food allergies rather than pesticides.

So all, what's the final word for this one? Is it D?
Too many questions without OA's nowadays....not nice.
Cheers
J :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [1]
Given Kudos: 45
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Kudos
In my opinion, answer is D. The argument is trying to break the relationship between pesticides and stomach pain, while linking stomach pain with food allergies. Any answer that helps to establish this linkage will be the right one.

(A) People who experience stomach pains from ingesting pesticides generally suffer from no more food allergies than do people who do not experience such symptoms. Wrong. Be careful with this answer, as this is a word-shell. It tries to trick you in a very confusing wording, but it is basically saying that pesticides is not related to more or fewer cases of food allergies. This is irrelevant. What is necessary to know is whether pesticides are causing more illnesses.

(B) Numerous tests have shown that beef derived from livestock raised on pesticide-exposed feed is safe for human consumption. Wrong. This answer is pointing to only one single case, and it makes difficult to generalize to other forms of pesticide ingestion. In other words, it is too specific to one single case.

(C) Pesticide allergies have been known to cause symptoms similar to those arising from food allergies. Wrong. This is reverse logic answer. If more cases of pesticide ingestion and allergies were confound the less probable someone would be able to know which one is causing the disease.

(D) Stomach pain and other food allergy symptoms are not associated with illnesses caused by pesticides, which are statistically rare and take longer to manifest. Correct. This answer breaks the link! And leaves no further room to refute the fact that food allergy is a stronger case causing the food illness, as opposed to pesticides.

(E) Many fruits and vegetables trap pesticide residue in the porous cell membranes just under the skin. Wrong. This is out of scope.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE:Human Resources (Human Resources)
Send PM
IMO - A & D are contenders..... because others are out rightly rejected.....

Lets see them.....

Means that the pain experienced by those ingesting pesticides is due to Pesticide only not food allergy........because balance do not experience such symptoms when food devoid of pesticides is consumed by them....Hence this is a weakener....[color=#ed1c24][/color]

(D) Stomach pain and other food allergy symptoms are not associated with illnesses caused by pesticides, which are statistically rare and take longer to manifest. Rules out an alternative... hence food allergy only would have caused stomach pain... hence CORRECT ANSWER....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
KyleWiddison wrote:
Yes - the answer to this one is D. It's a nice little strengthening the conclusion question.

Counterpoint: People think pesticides make you sick
Conclusion: Pesticides are NOT to blame
Premise: You would have to ingest a lot of pesticides to get sick
Premise: People getting stomach pains from food are really experiencing food allergies

To find the answer you need to find a way to strengthen the conclusion that pesticides are not to blame. Think about what additional premise could you add to the string of logic to make the conclusion more believable/reasonable.

A/B/E are all out of scope - they don't help us see why pesticides are not causing stomach pains.
C is highly relevant but it weakens the conclusion instead of strengthening.
D is the correct answer - it gives more evidence to support the claim that pesticides are not causing the stomach pains.

KW

Sir

I have a question here....The conclusion says that Pesticides are not to be blamed for causing illness......and option D says that Stomach aches are not caused by pesticides but pesticides in that case may cause any other illness....Please correct me sir
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 912 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: LBS '14 (A$)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Send PM
Kudos
AnmolKukreja wrote:
Sir

I have a question here....The conclusion says that Pesticides are not to be blamed for causing illness......and option D says that Stomach aches are not caused by pesticides but pesticides in that case may cause any other illness....Please correct me sir

Hi - I can help here.

I agree - there is a little bit of tricky wording in here, but that is just what makes the GMAT a challenge...

You are correct that the farmer mentions 'illness' in the first sentence. HOWEVER Look at the second sentence (the one the conclusion actually focuses on) "Since pesticides are only dangerous when consumed in large quantities, most people who experience stomach pains as a result....."

So D talking about stomach pains is OK!

Hope that helps

James
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
plumber250 wrote:
AnmolKukreja wrote:
Sir

Hi - I can help here.

I agree - there is a little bit of tricky wording in here, but that is just what makes the GMAT a challenge...

You are correct that the farmer mentions 'illness' in the first sentence. HOWEVER Look at the second sentence (the one the conclusion actually focuses on) "Since pesticides are only dangerous when consumed in large quantities, most people who experience stomach pains as a result....."

So D talking about stomach pains is OK!

Hope that helps

James

Sir so you mean to say that the conclusion is not "Pesticides are not to be blamed" but "Since pesticides are only dangerous when consumed in large quantities, most people who experience stomach pains as a result....". I thought the latter was a premise and not a conclusion.....Please correct me if i am wrong
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 290 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Choosing D.
Farmer says food allergies,not pesticides,cause stomach pain(or such symptoms).D supports this by saying that pesticides are not associated with such symptoms as stomach pain.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GPA: 3.3
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
eladshus wrote:
Farmer: Though illnesses caused by commercial produce consumption are usually attributed to the use of pesticides on the affected plants, the reality is that pesticides are not usually to blame. Since pesticides are only dangerous when consumed in large quantities, most people who experience stomach pains as a result of eating some sort of fruit or vegetable are actually suffering as a result of their food allergies, and would have become just as ill from pesticide-free produce.

Hi guys,

I am struggling to fully understand the following question. I don't have an official answer but I am leaning towards answer D.

Although i marked D, I am not sure that the language in the option D is correct. What does which in option D refer to. It should refer to the illnesses but it seems to refer to the pesticides. Could someone clear that part for me.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jiveshjuneja wrote:

Although i marked D, I am not sure that the language in the option D is correct. What does which in option D refer to. It should refer to the illnesses but it seems to refer to the pesticides. Could someone clear that part for me.

This is a case where what we used to refer to as the "touch" rule of noun modifiers has an exception. "Which" will refer to the closest noun except when there is another modifier that has to sit in between. For example: "The carton of ice cream, which is still unopened, was purchased last week." In this sentence the "which" modifier is referring to the carton, not the ice cream. We can't put "which" any closer than it is right now.

In option D, the "which" modifier refers to illnesses (caused by pesticides). We have to stick "caused by pesticides" right next to illnesses because it is an essential descriptive element of the illnesses. The "which" clause sits as close as it possibly can to the word it modifies - "illnesses".

KW
Manager
Manager
Status:Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Own Kudos [?]: 546 [0]
Given Kudos: 471
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
eladshus wrote:

Hi guys,

Hi chetan2u,

Can you please explain what option A says here
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
Schools: IIMB
Send PM
KyleWiddison wrote:
Yes - the answer to this one is D. It's a nice little strengthening the conclusion question.

Counterpoint: People think pesticides make you sick
Conclusion: Pesticides are NOT to blame
Premise: You would have to ingest a lot of pesticides to get sick
Premise: People getting stomach pains from food are really experiencing food allergies

To find the answer you need to find a way to strengthen the conclusion that pesticides are not to blame. Think about what additional premise could you add to the string of logic to make the conclusion more believable/reasonable.

A/B/E are all out of scope - they don't help us see why pesticides are not causing stomach pains.
C is highly relevant but it weakens the conclusion instead of strengthening.
D is the correct answer - it gives more evidence to support the claim that pesticides are not causing the stomach pains.

KW

Hi Kyle,

Thank you for posting such a good explanation however I still cant refute C :? . Can you please elaborate more why C is incorrect. :( .

Would really really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance for your kind response.

Regards
Megha
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts