Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 661 [83]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20709 [10]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [5]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [5]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Re: None of the attempts to specify the causes of crime explains why most [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi Vithal,

Thank you for your question. While this sentence is long-winded, a quick read-through shows that this is a simple comparison between two groups: people who do not commit crimes, and those who do (hint: I just gave away the answer!).

To determine which answer is correct, let’s look at how each of the answers would change the meaning of the sentence:

A: have
“Have” only considers those who committed crimes in the past, not the present. Since we’re comparing those who “do not” commit crimes, which is present tense, the other side should be in present tense too.

B: has
“Has” is a singular verb that doesn’t agree with the plural word it’s referring to (those). It also suggests comparing past crimes and present.

C: shall
“Shall” means they are comparing present tense with future tense, which isn’t parallel.

D: do
“Do” is correct! It uses parallel structure (do not commit crimes…those who do) and both are in present tense.

E: could
“Could” changes the meaning from discussing people who DO commit crimes with people who MIGHT, which is different.

So if we look at parallel structure (do not / do) and consistent verb tense, D is the clear winner!
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [4]
Send PM
Re: None of the attempts to specify the causes of crime explains why most [#permalink]
Kudos
None of the attempts to specify the causes of crime explains why most of the people exposed to the alleged causes do not commit crimes and, conversely, why so many of those not so exposed do
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Thanks daagh.

Even though the MGMAT says that NONE will go along with both singular and plural verbs,based on the nouns used in the OF-Phrase, I will stick to NONE with singular usage...

I guess, these guys have started to treat NONE phrases as a compound noun.. Here "None of the attempts to specify the causes of crime" is acting as a compound sentence; therefore, a singular verb is used.

Please correct me IF I am wrong.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Quote:
I guess, these guys have started to treat NONE phrases as a compound noun.. Here "None of the attempts to specify the causes of crime" is acting as a compound sentence; therefore, a singular verb is used.
Please correct me IF I am wrong.

Sorry dragaonball:

You have misunderstood the concept of both compound nouns and compound sentences. A compound noun is one in which there will more than one noun and those two or more nouns will be connected by the conjunction ‘and’. I repeat compound nouns will have to be connected by ‘and’. As a thumb rule compound nouns are always plural.

E.g.: Tom and Dick ‘
Tom, Dick and Harry.

A compound sentence is one that has either two independent clauses or more joined by a conjunction ‘and’.
Eg; I went to New York. My brother went to Tokyo – Two independent sentences are standing alone with their own subjects and verbs but punctuated by a period. This is not a compound sentence,

I went to New York and my brother went to Tokyo; this is a compound sentence because there are two independent sentences and both are conjugated by the connector ‘and’.

Along with this please also understand the structure of complex sentences and their essentials such as how to punctuate them, how to conjugate them etc, and you can eliminate many style errors such as fragments or run - ons in GMAT SC

In your question, since ‘none of plural’ does not have the conjunction ‘and’, there is no compound noun or sentence involved.

Originally posted by daagh on 28 Mar 2011, 08:53.
Last edited by daagh on 28 Mar 2011, 17:22, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Bookmarks
MGMAT SC says: Technically, none of + plural noun can take either a singular or a plural verb forms.

I think GMAT will never make you choose between A and D. I think Kaplan guys messed it up. Both A and D are correct. Whoever created this question forgot that that none is one of the SANAM pronouns and, moreover, none is still under scrutiny/debate among the big guns of Grammar.

I read a bunch of articles online on none of. This is the gist: Some people insist that since “none” is derived from “no one” it should always be singular: “none of us is having dessert.” However, in standard usage, the word is most often treated as a plural. “None of us are having dessert” will do just fine.

I highly doubt GMAT will test us on this, while all the Grammar experts are still arguing :p. Who are we to make a call? :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Send PM
abhicoolmax wrote:
MGMAT SC says: Technically, none of + plural noun can take either a singular or a plural verb forms.

I think GMAT will never make you choose between A and D. I think Kaplan guys messed it up. Both A and D are correct. Whoever created this question forgot that that none is one of the SANAM pronouns and, moreover, none is still under scrutiny/debate among the big guns of Grammar.

I read a bunch of articles online on none of. This is the gist: Some people insist that since “none” is derived from “no one” it should always be singular: “none of us is having dessert.” However, in standard usage, the word is most often treated as a plural. “None of us are having dessert” will do just fine.

I highly doubt GMAT will test us on this, while all the Grammar experts are still arguing :p. Who are we to make a call? :)

More: Seems like GMAT doesn't think "none" is a SANAM pronoun. So if, in GMAT, you see "none" PREFER SINGULAR. I thing MGMAT should add this in their book.

See OG12 SC #4 vast-tides-of-migration-105900.html
Right answer is: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through history, perhaps none was more concentrated than the wave that brought 12 million immigrants onto American shores in little more than three decades.

This example proves my point. Anyways, whatever :). If GMAT says Singular, I will take that as true - I don't care anymore :p

If someone has a strong objection or knows a spy working undercover in GMAT, please give post your alter-thoughts :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 516 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GPA: 4
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Can somebody pls come up with a correct answer for everybody's sake?.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
maheshsrini wrote:
Can somebody pls come up with a correct answer for everybody's sake?.

I wrote an email to our Technical Writer at work. She has a PhD in literature and working as a Technical Writer for past 5-6 years. See her response below.

My Question to her:
---
Hey Meghan,

Sorry to bother you Meghan. I have had a question for you.

I am sure you have heard of SANAM pronouns - Some, Any, None, All, More/Most. When these pronouns act as the subject of a verb in a sentence, the verb agrees in number with the pronoun, the subject, based on the Of-prepositional phrase (with noun) that modifies the pronoun.

For instance,
All of my friends love sushi. (verb love here agrees in number with the abstract noun friends, which combined with the preposition of modifies the pronoun all)
All of the US army is alert. (verb is here agrees in number with the collective noun army, which is singular)

But with none there is HUGE controversy among the elite grammarians.

Orthodox grammarians say none is etymologically derived from the phrase "no one", hence it must be used as singular regardless of the Of-prepositional phrase that modifies it.
- None of my friends likes to eat sushi.
- None of the sugar is on the floor.
Some, not all, modern grammarian say, being a SANAM pronoun, it should have a cardinality that agrees in number with the noun in the Of-prepositional phrase that modifies it.
- None of my friends like to eat sushi.
- None of the sugar is on the floor.

I have never read a single article that has clearly stated which between the two is correct. I was hoping if you have any comment(s) or bias :-)

Thanks.

---

Her response:
---
The discussion of "none" is a long one; however, the most well-written response I found so far comes from this guy: https://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-non2.htm

He states that "none" should follow the same rules as the rest of SANAM pronouns, since it can mean either "no one" (singlular) or "no persons" (plural). So you can treat it as either singular or plural based on the prepositional phrase. Based on his thorough research, I can't help but agree with him.

---

Based on the above discussion, A should be the right answer. But GMAT seems to prefer D usage - see my explanation here none-singular-or-plural-117407.html#p954852

Nobody can tell for sure, I personally think there is too much debate w.r.t. none, for GMAT to test it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 206 [2]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Kudos
Vithal wrote:
None of the attempts to specify the causes of crime explains why most of the people exposed to the alleged causes do not commit crimes and, conversely, why so many of those not so exposed have.
(A) have
(B) has
(C) shall
(D) do
(E) could

The correct option needs to parallel "do not", the only option that works is D, "do".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
None of the attempts to specify the causes of crime explains why most of the people exposed to the alleged causes do not commit crimes and, conversely, why so many of those not so exposed have.
(A) have
(B) has
(C) shall
(D) do
(E) could

I don't have any problem understanding the right answer. However, "None of the attempts" is a pleural subject with singular verb "explains". Can anyone please explain, is this a real error or I am missing something here.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1588 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM