Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Logical Flawx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [64]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [9]
Given Kudos: 284
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GPA: 3.13
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [7]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 972 [3]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: Consumer health advocate: Your candy company adds caffeine [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Per Consumer health advocate, the amount of Caffeine is the cause of consumers addiction to the candy..
Candy manufacturer did mention that less caffeine is used however, his reasoning is flawed because he didnt mention if it is enough to make the people addicted..hence A

phew...hope um able to express my thoughts well...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.5
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Can someone please clarify the following. I really need to understand why/ where my thinking is wrong here.

A) While A points out to a logical flaw, it does not seem entirely right to me. 1)yes it does fail to address the issue, 2)but, the health advocate is not accusing the manufacturer of having 'enough' caffeine, yet of the 'intent' to keep consumers addicted.

C) The health advocate does wrongly answer by saying that each and every candy bar contains a uniform amount of caffeine: 'less caffeine in each candy bar than in the unprocessed...'

Where am I going wrong here? Please Help!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [6]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
PrincessZ wrote:
Can someone please clarify the following. I really need to understand why/ where my thinking is wrong here.

A) While A points out to a logical flaw, it does not seem entirely right to me. 1)yes it does fail to address the issue, 2)but, the health advocate is not accusing the manufacturer of having 'enough' caffeine, yet of the 'intent' to keep consumers addicted.

C) The health advocate does wrongly answer by saying that each and every candy bar contains a uniform amount of caffeine: 'less caffeine in each candy bar than in the unprocessed...'

Where am I going wrong here? Please Help!

The argument is based on the premise that candy bars contains caffeine which,as per he advocate, can make people addicitive to it. Here, the advocate is not referring to the effects or how much caffeine is present in each candy bar. He just simply assumes that presence of caffeiene is enough to make people addicitve. His main motive is to show- "candy bars having caffeine is making people addict"

The company manufacturer just responded by saying there is lesser caffeine in their candy bar than in unprocessed cocoa beans. However, he does not mention whether that amount can make people addicitive or not. Hence, simply by stating that there is less caffeine does not refute the advocate conclusion that people might get addicitve to their candy bars (because of caffeine).

I hope it helps. , I will be glad to discuss further if you need more explanation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 29
Saranraj : Santhanam
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Choice A for me.

Here is the structure of the argument:

Consumer health advocate: Your candy company adds caffeine to your chocolate candy bars so that each one delivers a [u]specifed amount of caffeine[/u]. Since caffeine is highly addictive, this indicates that you intend to keep your customers addicted.

Structure: Amount of Caffeine -- Chocolate bars -- Customer

Candy manufacturer: 0ur manufacturing process results in there being less caffeine in each chocolate candy bar than in the unprocessed cacao beans from which the chocolate is made.

Less Caffeine -- Chocolate Bars < Cacao beans -- Chocolate Bars

Amount of caffeine should be in the scope of the argument. Hence choice A is correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38822 [0]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
fluke wrote:
Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition

Practice Question
Question No.: 79
Page: 149
Difficulty:

Consumer health advocate: Your candy company adds caffeine to your chocolate candy bars so that each one delivers a specifed amount of caffeine. Since caffeine is highly addictive, this indicates that you intend to keep your customers addicted.

Candy manufacturer: 0ur manufacturing process results in there being less caffeine in each chocolate candy bar than in the unprocessed cacao beans from which the chocolate is made.

The candy manufacturer's response is flawed as a refutation of the consumer health advocate's argument because it

(A) fails to address the issue of whether the level of caffeine in the candy bars sold by the manufacturer is enough to keep people addicted
(B) assumes without warrant that all unprocessed cacao beans contain a uniform amount of caffeine
(C) does not specify exactly how caffeine is lost in the manufacturing process
(D) treats the consumer health advocate's argument as though it were about each candy bar rather than about the manufacturer's candy in general
(E) merely contradicts the consumer health advocate's conclusion without giving any reason to believe that the advocate's reasoning is unsound

IMO the answer is A because it actually reflect the method of arguement
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Consumer health advocate: Your candy company adds caffeine to your chocolate candy bars so that each one delivers a specified amount of caffeine. Since caffeine is highly addictive, this indicates that you intend to keep your customers addicted.

Candy manufacturer: Our manufacturing process results in there being less caffeine in each chocolate candy bar than in the unprocessed cacao beans from which the chocolate is made.

The candy manufacturer's response is flawed as a refutation of the consumer health advocate's argument because it

(A) fails to address the issue of whether the level of caffeine in the candy bars sold by the manufacturer is enough to keep people addicted - Correct
(B) assumes without warrant that all unprocessed cacao beans contain a uniform amount of caffeine - Incorrect
(C) does not specify exactly how caffeine is lost in the manufacturing process - Incorrect - loss of caffeine is not discussed
(D) treats the consumer health advocate's argument as though it were about each candy bar rather than about the manufacturer's candy in general - Out of scope
(E) merely contradicts the consumer health advocate's conclusion without giving any reason to believe that the advocate's reasoning is unsound - Incorrect

Answer A
Mannheim Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
A is the correct choice - The statement properly identifies the flaw in the response that candy manufacturer does not answer the question whether adding caffeine to candy bars is designed to make them addictive.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 723 [1]
Given Kudos: 294
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Can folks explain why option E is wrong?

Posted from my mobile device
Mannheim Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [4]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
The answer choice 'E' is incorrect as the manufacturer does not contradict the accusation, but rather avoids it. Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Send PM
Amount of Caffiene – Choloate bars – making people Addicted

Amount of Caffiene <Caffience in Cacao Beans -> However that small amount maybe me sufficient for keeping people addicted – Hence the argument is not addressing that concern

Can anyone explain why B is wrong ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Send PM
(B) assumes without warrant that all unprocessed cacao beans contain a uniform amount of caffeine

- Even if the manufacturer did make this assumption, the information is not relevant to the accusation(Caffeine is the cause of addiction) ,which is not concered with naturally occurring caffeine in cacao beans
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
fluke wrote:
Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition

Practice Question
Question No.: 79
Page: 149
Difficulty:

Consumer health advocate: Your candy company adds caffeine to your chocolate candy bars so that each one delivers a specifed amount of caffeine. Since caffeine is highly addictive, this indicates that you intend to keep your customers addicted.

(A) fails to address the issue of whether the level of caffeine in the candy bars sold by the manufacturer is enough to keep people addicted
(C) does not specify exactly how caffeine is lost in the manufacturing process
(D) treats the consumer health advocate's argument as though it were about each candy bar rather than about the manufacturer's candy in general
(E) merely contradicts the consumer health advocate's conclusion without giving any reason to believe that the advocate's reasoning is unsound

If you read the first line, the Advocate suggests that the company is adding caffeine in the candy bars to which the manufacturer replies that the caffeine in unprocessed beans is much higher. I am still confused with the option E. Can someone please help as to how my thinking process is off?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [6]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Kudos