Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 09:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Potato cyst nematodes are a pest of potato crops. The

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Potato cyst nematodes are a pest of potato crops. The [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2008, 18:20
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

60% (02:53) correct 40% (01:21) wrong based on 10 sessions
Potato cyst nematodes are a pest of potato crops. The nematodes can lie dormant for several years in their cysts, which are protective capsules, and do not emerge except in the presence of chemicals emitted by potato roots. A company that has identified the relevant chemicals is planning to market them to potato farmers to spread on their fields when no potatoes are planted; any nematodes that emerge will soon starve to death.
Which of the following, if true, best supports the claim that the company’s plan will be successful?
(A) Nematodes that have emerged from their cysts can be killed by ordinary pesticides.
(B) The only part of a potato plant that a nematode eats is the roots.
(C) Some bacteria commonly present in the roots of potatoes digest the chemicals that cause the nematodes to emerge from their cysts.
(D) Trials have shown that spreading even minute quantities of the chemicals on potato fields caused nine-tenths of the nematodes present to emerge from their cysts.
(E) The chemicals that cause the nematodes to emerge from their cysts are not emitted all the time the potato plant is growing.

Help needed !!!pls share the line of thinking

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: cr-potato [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2008, 13:40
I think the ans is B
If we apply the chemicals and the nematodes come out from cyst which can only live on potato roots then the nematodes will be starved to death (as it has been described to apply the chemical when there is no plantation).

Nobody dies a virgin, life screws us all.

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: cr-potato [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2008, 18:01
subarao wrote:
I think the ans is B
If we apply the chemicals and the nematodes come out from cyst which can only live on potato roots then the nematodes will be starved to death (as it has been described to apply the chemical when there is no plantation).

In the argument should we take main point as nematodes starving to death or spreading pesticides leads to nematodes emerging ??Option B talks about just necessity of roots for nematodes ,even option A says ,thus emerged roots can be killed !!! claim here says we need to spread chemicals on the fields so that nematodes emerge and thereby starve to death.!!!
Noiw im confused how do v solve this

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: cr-potato [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2008, 21:46
spriya wrote:
Potato cyst nematodes are a pest of potato crops. The nematodes can lie dormant for several years in their cysts, which are protective capsules, and do not emerge except in the presence of chemicals emitted by potato roots. A company that has identified the relevant chemicals is planning to market them to potato farmers to spread on their fields when no potatoes are planted; any nematodes that emerge will soon starve to death.
Which of the following, if true, best supports the claim that the company’s plan will be successful?
(A) Nematodes that have emerged from their cysts can be killed by ordinary pesticides.
(C) Some bacteria commonly present in the roots of potatoes digest the chemicals that cause the nematodes to emerge from their cysts.
(D) Trials have shown that spreading even minute quantities of the chemicals on potato fields caused nine-tenths of the nematodes present to emerge from their cysts.
(E) The chemicals that cause the nematodes to emerge from their cysts are not emitted all the time the potato plant is growing.

I feel D must be the answer.
P1: nematodes are a pest of potato crops
P2: Only relevant chemicals help emerge of nematodes
C1: When no potatoes are planted spread new chemical > starve to death
A. They will be killed due to starving not any poisonous effect
B. Only part is root but there is no plantation so irrelevant
C. May be true but not helping
D. If trial was successful, nematodes would come out from cyst > so starve to death
E. We are not applying frequently. So OOS

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: cr-potato [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2008, 10:10
spriya wrote:

I will go with D
D is giving a proof that spreading minute quantities of the chemical on potato fields has the desired effect. So D supports the company's claim.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: cr-potato [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2008, 10:35
spriya wrote:

E will explain if thats OA

The one who flies is worthy. The one who is worthy flies. The one who doesn't fly isn't worthy

Manager
Manager
Schools: Life
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: cr-potato [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 18:58
OA is D, this is from the Paper Test 52.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: cr-potato [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2010, 07:50
Option B looks convincing to me.Because,
COmpany's cliam will be succesful only when the nematodes are dead, not by just emerging them out. SO option B says that nematodes dont eat anything else but root of the potatoes. Hence option B supports the claim.

However, option D helps DRAWING the claim but not supporting the claim.
BAsed on option D, nematodes might come out from their cysts but whats the guarantee that they starve to death. Uless until it is substantiated with option B, the company's claim can't be supported.

Is there any thing wrong in my reasoning? or Did I completely miss the track of the question?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: cr-potato [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2011, 03:08
nj1kor wrote:
Option B looks convincing to me.Because,
COmpany's cliam will be succesful only when the nematodes are dead, not by just emerging them out. SO option B says that nematodes dont eat anything else but root of the potatoes. Hence option B supports the claim.

However, option D helps DRAWING the claim but not supporting the claim.
BAsed on option D, nematodes might come out from their cysts but whats the guarantee that they starve to death. Uless until it is substantiated with option B, the company's claim can't be supported.

Is there any thing wrong in my reasoning? or Did I completely miss the track of the question?

Hi,

I think B is quite similar to E, when you think of eliminating it.
B talks about the only inclusion of roots as a mention. However, the company's plan is to spread the chemicals on vacant fields, hence this OOS.

Similarly, E, talks about all the time when the plant is growin - OOS
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Potato cyst nematodes are a pest of potato crops. The [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 02:01
I confuse between E and D, but I found that I read incorrectly in choice E. It's really out of scope.
In the argument, which states that nematodes lie dormant for several years in their cysts, which are protective capsules, and do not emerge ...

After reading the argument, my first assumption is the new pesticide will contain the chemical similar to the chemical that emitted from the root of potatoes, making the nematodes emerge. Choice D is exactly what I thinking.

Poor for me when being distracted by choice E :(

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Potato cyst nematodes are a pest of potato crops. The [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 11:18
D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 27

Re: Potato cyst nematodes are a pest of potato crops. The [#permalink] New post 22 May 2013, 10:28
I chose B when I attempted this question but now I realized that B is actually out of scope.

A company that has identified the relevant chemicals is planning to market them to potato farmers to spread on their fields when no potatoes are planted; any nematodes that emerge will soon starve to death.

(B) The only part of a potato plant that a nematode eats is the roots. --

I was thinking that No potatoes/potato roots will be present for nematodes to eat,so they will die.No.

The argument is to make them emerge from their protective cyst(not to kill them,we dont care whether they die or not),which only happens when potato roots emit certain chemicals.If making them emerge from their cyst is considered WIN and there will be no potato roots present,then definitely it is the magic of new chemical,which is exactly what company is trying to test.
Re: Potato cyst nematodes are a pest of potato crops. The   [#permalink] 22 May 2013, 10:28